Christmas trees

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amber

Executive Chef
We always buy a fresh fir tree every Christmas. I've noticed commercials on tv lately for the prelit Christmas trees. Anyone have one of these? I was wondering about the lights and what happens when the lights dont work? Do you replace the lights or the entire tree? Each year putting lights on our tree is a nightmare with figuring out which light has blown, and making sure the last strand of lights has a plug on the end :LOL:

We've had one for 2 years, much against my wishes. The first year it didn't look too bad. Although it was put away carefully, some branches and lights got bent out of shape. I think they look fake. And worse, they smell fake!! I'll take a real one with lopsided branches and lights any day. :)

We have always had a fresh tree, until several years ago. We decided between the tiny tots and a dog of my son's who loves to leave his mark If not watched that we would try an artificial tree. We got a large pre-lit one and it works beautifly. No there is no comparison between a fresh and an artificial one, but with small children who tend to taste everything and the fact that the last few years have yeilded up pretty dry trees that don't last as they use to..The fake one is ok til we decide to go back to fresh. We have thought of going to cut our own next year so we will stick to the no smell one we have until then.I will say though that having the lights on and not having to fight to get them untangled and change lamps on them is a godsend.
But which ever you pick, neither is wrong. Just look at your childrens or grandchildrens faces as they light up with smiles when they see that tree all decked out and aglow..Nothing can compare to that..
:) kadesma

I haven't had any tree since I got my cat 12 years ago. I just know she would managae to bring it down, and it would be a mess I don't want to think about! :rolleyes:

ChefJune said:
I haven't had any tree since I got my cat 12 years ago. I just know she would managae to bring it down, and it would be a mess I don't want to think about! :rolleyes:

I was seriously worried about it when I first got my cat, too... but as it turned out things were much more under control, there were few ornaments on the floor now and then, and I was careful not to put something too delicate within his easy reach, but no significant demolition never occured. But I know every cat is different... Maybe you could try with a little Charlie Brown tree and see how she react. :)

My mom has one with lights and it looks great. They just change the light bulbs when they burn out. We usually get a fir, but I'm jealous of how easy my parents tree is.

I can't have a real tree because of the b/f's and sons allergies. I do have an artificial but it's not a pre-lit tree. I've been looking at some pre-lit trees the past couple of years but the lights look skimpy to me. Haven't really found one I like yet.

middie said:
I can't have a real tree because of the b/f's and sons allergies. I do have an artificial but it's not a pre-lit tree. I've been looking at some pre-lit trees the past couple of years but the lights look skimpy to me. Haven't really found one I like yet.
Middie,
some of the ones I saw were pretty skimpy. We got this one at Costco and I had visions of a naked tree but when we plugged her in I was amazed at how many lights that tree had on it. It had so many it could stand alone with no ornaments and still look pretty.

kadesma

I saw a Martha Stewart (Kmart) prelit tree, for around $80, with white lights. The thing is, I have so many strands of white lights, and colored lights which I really love.

For those with pets, such as me, I had to eliminate tinsel (dog ate it) and had to keep my decorations off the bottom of the tree (glass ones). There really is nothing like a live tree for the scent, and the crooked shape of the branches. I draw the line at $40 for my tree but hope to get one for less!

Now I'm gonna have to move furniture just to fit the tree in the living room :mad::LOL:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom