Clean keyboard

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fisher's Mom

Executive Chef
So today, I put my reading glasses on and actually looked down at my keyboard - eeewwwww! It was really dirty. So I've spent the last couple of hours cleaning each key and blowing out the lint and dust that gets down in between the keys. It looks and feels great. I gave my mouse the same treatment.

So if anybody looks down and is horrified, too, here's a hint. You can snap out each individual key and clean it - just don't snap them all out at once to save time. You'll spend a lot of time trying to remember where they go when you put them back - ask me how I figured this out!:)

Using a can of air on a regular basis works well too. Depending on how quickly it gets dirty about twice a month works, I do mine about once a week. This way except when something sticky gets into the keys I don't have to pop them off to clean them.
Come to think of it mine needs a good cleaning now!

Using a can of air on a regular basis works well too. Depending on how quickly it gets dirty about twice a month works, I do mine about once a week. This way except when something sticky gets into the keys I don't have to pop them off to clean them.
Come to think of it mine needs a good cleaning now!
Probably if I had ever cleaned it before, I wouldn't have had to pop the keys out to clean the gunk off. But I can see how the compressed air would go a long way towards keeping it clean. I'm going to keep a can out on my desk to remind me, now.

So if anybody looks down and is horrified, too, here's a hint. You can snap out each individual key and clean it - just don't snap them all out at once to save time. You'll spend a lot of time trying to remember where they go when you put them back - ask me how I figured this out!:)

lol. for future reference: (it depends on your keyboard)

`1234567890-=
tab qwertyuiop[]\
caps lck asdfghjkl;' enter
shift zxcvbnm,./ shift
ctrl unused alt spacebar unused unused ctrl

:)

i cannot begin to tell you the joy i feel every time i get a call that a keyboard isn't working, and after replacing it and asking what was wrong with it, the warm feeling of cool coffee pouring down your leg as i've tucked the keyboard under my arm. :mad:

`1234567890-=
tab qwertyuiop[]\
shift zxcvbnm,./ shift

i cannot begin to tell you the joy i feel every time i get a call that a keyboard isn't working, and after replacing it and asking what was wrong with it, the warm feeling of cool coffee pouring down your leg as i've tucked the keyboard under my arm. :mad:
Arggggggh! That's exactly my keyboard, bt! (How do you know these things????) But OMG, I just pictured you walking around with a big wet spot trying to convince people it's coffee!:LOL::LOL::LOL:

`1234567890-=
tab qwertyuiop[]\
shift zxcvbnm,./ shift

:LOL::LOL:

I've popped them all out at once but lined them up on the desk in the order they came off so that I don't have to figure out later where they go!

I did that once, but then my youngest daughter (2 at the time) came along and thought they were just the neatest thing and perfect for playing with...
I also had a friend who actually took a picture of his keyboard and kept it in his desk drawer for when he took it apart...
I take mine apart about once a year when the canned air is not as effective anymore, but since I have 4 laptops in the house I don't have to worry about having a guide handy!

I did that once, but then my youngest daughter (2 at the time) came along and thought they were just the neatest thing and perfect for playing with...
I also had a friend who actually took a picture of his keyboard and kept it in his desk drawer for when he took it apart...
I take mine apart about once a year when the canned air is not as effective anymore, but since I have 4 laptops in the house I don't have to worry about having a guide handy!
Hey, that's actually a great idea, too. Take a digi pic of the keyboard and bring it up on your screen. Then you can look at it as you snap in the keys. Thanks Maverick!!! I want to clean my sons' keyboards since I'm scared to think of what might be growing on them. This is exactly how I will do it.

That's so funny that you say reading glasses. My contacts were so dry today I had to take them out for a day of rest and I'm wearing my readers too.

Just beware, if you are on a Dell laptop and take your keys off, you void the warranty.

just be careful popping off the keycaps. some kinds are cheap and may snap, and the larger keys, like the spacebar, usually have a little rod or spring to help balance them. it can be tricky to get it snapped back in.

my birds love tp pick away at the keycaps, when i've been dumb enough to let them near the keyboard.
they always seem to pick the letters f,r,e,d,o, and m. :blink:

I took a typing class in high school and we were required to know where every letter was (even got tested!). I wasn't happy about it then, but I tell you I can type faster than anyone in the house except the 14 year old. (And really, that shouldn't count because I actually use caps and type the whole word)

Sorry, my point was, I'm grateful for that because if I ever popped off the keys, I would know where to put them all back!

I've put keyboards in the bathtub and washed them. They were so dirty I didn't have to go looking for the dirt.

Just had to make sure they dried completely before use.

Hope you didn't misplace the "anykey"!

Nope, it's right here

anykey-button.gif

:ROFLMAO:

I guess there are some people who don't realize there are many electrical devices that can go swimming as long as they aren't powered before being completely dry.

Last edited:
Also, be advised, Windows usually has an On-Screen keyboard under Start Menu>Programs>Accessories>Accessibility. In fact, I'm using it right now!

[BuckyTom - don't read this bit!! You were warned!]

The keyboards at work just get turned upside down and given an almighty whack!! Just don't aim it at a colleague! LOL

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom