Cleaning Sterling Silver Jewelry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
white bread

My grandmother always had me clean chains and bracelets with white bread. For some reason, it worked..

AllenMI said:
Jeweler's Rouge is what I use with my Dremel. Unfortunately, the stuff I have right now is really, really, soft, and tends to just fly right off the felt pad I use.

As for most valuable, I would have to say, the jewelry that I've recovered.

Interesting, at least for me, is the coins I get. I primarily want to find old coins. Earlier this year, I found an 1873 Seated dime in extremely good condition. What's really weird, is it was practically laying on top of the ground. I found it out in the woods, in the center of a trail, a half-inch under the surface. As it is, this dime is worth between $35 and $130, depending on which variation of the "3" is in the date. To bad it isn't an 1873CC "with arrows" (CC is the mint mark for Carson City, and the "with arrows" denotes some arrows near the date, indicating a slight change in silver content). That dime starts out at $3K. Here's a picture:

20060523seateddimetd6.jpg

The strangest thing I've found (and I've found several), is a fired bullet on school property. It always makes me nervous when I find one, as it means that somebodies kid could have been hit.

Wow 1873 huh! I'm leaning towards asking for one of these for Christmas. DH will probably think I'm crazy but its something I've always wanted to do but something I can't bring myself to buy myself for some reason. Who knows I may get DH hooked.

SizzlininIn,

Suggestion: Try storing your jewelry in silver cloth. You can buy it by the yard or "Half" from most fabric shops (we have Hancock's down here in Texas) and it will keep any silver object like new. I made silver pouches for each of my silver place settings over 20 years ago and they are still untarnished as of today---shows how much I've used it. Take the cloth and just wrap your individual pieces of jewelry in it-------also ask your jewelry shop where you can get a jewelry polishing cloth to burnish your pieces to a beautiful luster from time to time. The polishing cloth will also make your gold shine.

Walgreens sells very good silver cleaner, I don't remember what it's called, but it is in the black bottle.

expatgirl said:
SizzlininIn,

Suggestion: Try storing your jewelry in silver cloth. You can buy it by the yard or "Half" from most fabric shops (we have Hancock's down here in Texas) and it will keep any silver object like new. I made silver pouches for each of my silver place settings over 20 years ago and they are still untarnished as of today---shows how much I've used it. Take the cloth and just wrap your individual pieces of jewelry in it-------also ask your jewelry shop where you can get a jewelry polishing cloth to burnish your pieces to a beautiful luster from time to time. The polishing cloth will also make your gold shine.

I just ask for silver cloth? Sorry I haven't had much experience in buying fabric.

Sizzlinin---Yes, they should know what you are asking for and see if they will just sell you a quarter of a yard or half a yard--it's not especially cheap but it will keep your silver shining forever and is far better than using silver tarnish removers which remove layers of silver with time. I know because I just peeked in on my silver flatware that I wrapped over 20 years ago before posting. I also called Hancocks before posting and they still carry this fabric (it's dark brown and looks like thin wool material) so I'm
going to assume that most fabric shops will, too.

Sizzlinin--before I forget or I give the wrong impression, use the silver cloth for storage AFTER you clean it so that you don't have to clean it so often thereafter--given the stone you might want to call a jewelry shop and ask them what cleaner you should use. The cloth is for future tarnishing protection so that you're not repeately rubbing off layers of the silver every time you want to wear it.

Thanks for the inf...............:LOL: had you not cleared that up and described it.....I'd of probably grabbed some shiny silver material if I couldn't locate a salesclerk.....:)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom