Close Call with Oysters!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sattie

Washing Up
:ohmy: Went out to eat at one of my FAVORTIE resturaunts last night and got a dozen oysters on the half shell. Boy they sure were good! But then on my 10th oyster (yes, I eat them all by myself, DH can't stand them) I tipped the shell back and dropped the oyster in my mouth and I instantly knew it was not good. It had a rather foul taste and smell to it. So, without grossing out the other patrons, I descreetly removed the oyster from my mouth into a napkin and excused myself to the restroom to spit out any other stuff I could.

Management comped the oysters and the rest of the meal of blackened mahi mahi with a diablo sauce was wonderful.

Now I have read another somewhat controversial thread here recently where someone stated it could take like 12 to 48 hours for food poisioning to manifest? I ate the oysters last night around 5 pm and so far I have been ok. Some mild stomache nausea, but I think that had more to do with nerves than anything.

Anything I can be doing (drinking or eating something) that may help counteract any possible buggies?

Two good shots of bourbon should do the trick:LOL: Naw, just joking. Since ya didn't actually ingest the culprit, I think the odds are way in your favor that you want experience a problem. Just don't worry yourself into being sick! The odds are greater of that happening than the oyster..that you didn't eat....causing a problem.

As far as I know and have experienced unfortunatly, food poisoning will kick in in 2-4 hours. If you don't get ill for 24-48 hours, I doubt you're going to. You've already, well... said goodbye:rolleyes:... to that meal in those 24 or so hours. That is, if you're like "regular" people... No pun... ok, yes, it was intended:LOL: Anyway, I think you were just a little oggied out about that bad taste :sick:

There are different causes of what is commonly called food poisoning.

Some are viral related, some are due to various bacteria or their toxins. It gets a bit complicated.

My best guess is you had a dead, rotten oyster and did the right thing.

I would not worry.

But a glass of wine would not hurt, course it will not help.

Good luck.

Like Auntie says it depends.

Symptoms can appear in an hour or in 2-3 days.

I suspect that tainted shellfish would make you sick pretty fast, though.

Trust me on this.. with seafood you will know withing a few hours... been there, through away the T-shirt..

I'd say you are most likely fine and you shouldn't worry but if you should get sick enough in the next week or 2 to require a doctor, I would be sure and mention this incident. There are some (very) rare types of viruses and bacterias that don't become apparent immediately. That said, the human body is amazingly resilient and able to handle all sorts of dreadful things without missing a beat!

:)There is a certain type of charcoal in pill form I think its called activated charcoal that is supposed to absorb anything bad in your system I have never tried it but I have friends that travel the world that swear by it.

Wouldn't worry about it myself. Just go out and get yourself a FRESH oyster to remove the memory as soon as you possibly can!

A couple of years ago, I was served fresh oysters and on my eighth oyster, I saw two beady little eyes looking back at me (well that's how I now remember it!! LOL), and all management could say was that this happens and that it proves they are fresh!! Haven't had oysters from them since but I have had oysters and when I buy them preshucked to have at home, I always sacrifice the liquour from them and rinse them before I eat them, just to make sure there are no visitors in my meal.

Back
Top Bottom