Cold is a relative thing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PrincessFiona60

Ogress Supreme
Moderator Emeritus
COLD IS A RELATIVE THING. . .
At 65 degrees above zero:
People in Florida turn on the heat.
People in Montana plant gardens.
At 60 degrees above zero:
People in California shiver uncontrollably.
People in Montana sunbathe.
At 50 degrees above zero:
Italian and English cars won't start.
People in Montana drive with the windows down.
At 40 degrees above zero:
People in Georgia don coats, thermal underwear, gloves, and wool hats.
People in Montana throw on a flannel shirt.
At 35 degrees above zero:
New York landlords finally turn up the heat.
People in Montana have the last cookout before it gets cold.
At 20 degrees above zero:
People in Miami all die.
People in Montana close the windows.
At zero degrees:
People in Arizona fly away to Mexico.
People in Montana get out their winter coats.
At 10 degrees below zero:
Hollywood disintegrates.
Girl Scouts in Montana are selling cookies door to door.
At 20 degrees below zero:
Washington, DC, runs out of hot air.
People in Montana let the dogs sleep indoors.
At 30 degrees below zero:
Santa Claus abandons the North Pole.
Montanans get upset because they can't start the snowmobile.
At 40 degrees below zero:
ALL atomic motion stops.
People in Montana start saying, "Cold enough for ya?"
At 50 degrees below zero:
Hell freezes over.
Montana public schools will open 2 hours late.

At -50C (-58F) outside, we were wearing two pairs of long underwear, two sweaters, two pairs of socks over our boots and tuques - inside the log cabin. The Solstice gift puppy, who had been raised outdoors, wanted to go sleep in the unheated shed!

At -50C (-58F) outside, we were wearing two pairs of long underwear, two sweaters, two pairs of socks over our boots and tuques - inside the log cabin. The Solstice gift puppy, who had been raised outdoors, wanted to go sleep in the unheated shed!

LOL!

...The Solstice gift puppy, who had been raised outdoors, wanted to go sleep in the unheated shed!

We had a puppy years ago that spent every night in his dog house outdoors. Regardless of how cold it got in the winter, he'd come in for a visit and to clean up the kids' table scraps then beg to go out again. His coat was so thick you couldn't find his skin.

We had a puppy years ago that spent every night in his dog house outdoors. Regardless of how cold it got in the winter, he'd come in for a visit and to clean up the kids' table scraps then beg to go out again. His coat was so thick you couldn't find his skin.

Almost all the dogs in La Macaza (~100 miles north of Montreal, QC) lived outdoors. Visitors thought it was cruel when they saw the dalmatian outside in winter. He had a heating lamp in his dog house, activated by his weight. He still spent a lot of time outside the dog house. I bet you wouldn't have been able to find the skin on most of those dogs.

right now i am cold in so. calif. heater is blasting and i have on a sweater. not sure what the temp. is but my body says it is too cold. oh well it will be eighty here before we know it. probably on christmas day. lol

right now i am cold in so. calif. heater is blasting and i have on a sweater. not sure what the temp. is but my body says it is too cold. oh well it will be eighty here before we know it. probably on christmas day. lol

I just checked and no wonder you're cold it's 6C (43 F) and going down to 3C (37F) in Escondido.

The first Christmas I spent in California it was 80 degrees. Kind of takes the HO Ho Ho out of things, at least it did for this Michigander.

The first Christmas I spent in California it was 80 degrees. Kind of takes the HO Ho Ho out of things, at least it did for this Michigander.

I know what you mean. In 2007 we spent Christmas in Florida with SO's daughter and family. It was kind of weird walking around Epcot Center or deep frying a turkey out by the pool in shorts and a tee shirt.

I don't even like those temperatures in the summer...70F or less for me! I'm always looking for an iceberg in the summer.

Funny! Living about 700 miles north of Montana we have pretty harsh/long/cold winters with lots of windchill. This year we had snow in September (melted) but usually stays on the ground for 6 consecutive months. Nothing unusual about being -40 for weeks on end. Doesn't mean we like it, though!

I am, however, glad that although our summers get hot (100F) the hot days don't drag on and on and on forever.

Funny! Living about 700 miles north of Montana we have pretty harsh/long/cold winters with lots of windchill. This year we had snow in September (melted) but usually stays on the ground for 6 consecutive months. Nothing unusual about being -40 for weeks on end. Doesn't mean we like it, though!

I am, however, glad that although our summers get hot (100F) the hot days don't drag on and on and on forever.

I enjoy any weather that means I'm not roasting or the sun isn't burning me up!:LOL: Even before the dreaded hot flashes started!

When it hit 40 F for the first time I reluctantly decided that if it stayed that cold another night I'd have to turn the furnace on. At 35 I started wearing a cap & glove for my nightly walk- still wore shorts, though. When it hit 0 for the first time I decided I'd better dig out my winter coat as soon as I had the chance.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom