Concerns about the coronavirus/Covid-19 pandemic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hopefully, I just scored 4 quart bottles of 99% isopropyl alcohol at a decent price that is actually in stock from a local lab so I can make hand sanitizer for us. I'll find out Monday for sure as they closed early today for Good Friday. More than I wanted, but that was minimum amount available right now.

Still have some on order from another place, but they keep putting me off on shipping date. That order will get cancelled if and when I get my hands on the local stuff.

Even if it is a lot, it's useful stuff. It gets ink out of clothes and off stuff. It is useful for cleaning electronic stuff. i spray it on my eye glasses to clean them. Of course, it's also good for disinfecting. I always like to have a bunch at home.

Hopefully, I just scored 4 quart bottles of 99% isopropyl alcohol at a decent price that is actually in stock from a local lab so I can make hand sanitizer for us. I'll find out Monday for sure as they closed early today for Good Friday. More than I wanted, but that was minimum amount available right now.

Still have some on order from another place, but they keep putting me off on shipping date. That order will get cancelled if and when I get my hands on the local stuff.

I have maybe 14 oz. left in a 16 oz bottle of 70% isopropyl alcohol that I bought many months ago from Kroger. It will last me several more weeks at least, but I wish I had a bottle in reserve. Kroger has been out of stock since the beginning of the current pandemic awareness. If any DC members or visitors know of a reliable source, I for one would appreciate details and/or links about it.

Regarding the efficacy of 70% vs. 99% solutions, I have neither knowledge nor opinion. This page, owned by a company that sells both when they're "in stock", makes claims that sound reasonable but I'm not qualified to evaluate.

Last edited:
You have to use the 99% to make gel sanitizer with pure aloe vera because the alcohol content has to be at least 60% to be effective.

Last edited:
Firstly, I'd like to apologize for inadvertently initiating a light discussion about grocery shopping during the COVID pandemic, this in the thread for "Dinner thread for Wed. 15th" - that thread wasn't the place for that commentary, but I'd like to add a bit to it here:

For those of you who have read my comments in that thread, I mentioned that upon my DW returning home from grocery shopping, together we regularly quickly disinfect all of our grocery "packaging" - (i.e. the container boxes, the cans, the bread or meat wrappers, etc. - this done simply with just dish soap in hot water) in the event, however minimal, that an asymptomatic other shopper just before my wife, had touched &/or coughed droplets onto another cereal box, food container, bread wrapper, whatever- left on a store shelf -
this being done because some medical experts here in Canada have said the virus droplets may survive up to several days on some surfaces - cardboard for one, being an example.

I also went on to say that as for 'groceries' per se - whether it be any pieces of fruit or vegetables - we have always washed/rinsed any such groceries before consumption or putting away temporarily, and continue to do so during this pandemic.

You may consider this to be somewhat paranoid, but I even wash my hands after handling & having read the morning newspaper which I fetched from the stoop - in the unlikely event the delivery person who placed the paper on the porch may feel well but be asymptomatic with the virus, and be contagious.

Am interested in any comments about how you other folks feel about these or other measures being taken to protect yourselves to lessen the risk of infection ?

Last edited:
RMR, we aren't even going out for shopping. We get everything delivered. We also decontaminate the outsides of things that come into the house or let it 3-day-decontaminate in a designated area, when that is convenient. We wash hands after touching the condo association's recycling bins or touching our mailbox (in a super box). We leave the front door open on these mini-excursions to the curb. That way we don't have to foof with keys and door handles. We shut the front door with a hip or shoulder and then wash our hands. We make sure to turn on the water using elbows, rather than possibly contaminated hands, so that we won't recontaminate clean hands when turning off the water.

RMR, we aren't even going out for shopping. We get everything delivered. We also decontaminate the outsides of things that come into the house or let it 3-day-decontaminate in a designated area, when that is convenient. We wash hands after touching the condo association's recycling bins or touching our mailbox (in a super box). We leave the front door open on these mini-excursions to the curb. That way we don't have to foof with keys and door handles. We shut the front door with a hip or shoulder and then wash our hands. We make sure to turn on the water using elbows, rather than possibly contaminated hands, so that we won't recontaminate clean hands when turning off the water.

We do all of those things as well, except for grocery deliveries which, in our area these days, can easily/regularly take up to 2 weeks to be delivered following the ordering - you have to join a long waiting queue, as there are now so many people ordering grocery deliveries.

We only grocery shop once every 3 weeks now & religiously perform our strict distancing, as helpfully arranged by the stores with their formal instructions to shoppers, as well as their employees who more or less force that essential distancing through their practices.
Also, my spouse and I distance ourselves from each other daily as much as is practicable, we sleep in different bedrooms, and each use our own separate ensuite bathrooms.

Aw heck, if you are in the same house you are already sharing. no need for social distancing in the house. Now when I visit my parents, we are the perfect 6 feet away from each other, but mostly to keep me at a distance. I miss giving hugs out to my residents and sharing us time with friends at work. I miss chatting with my neighbors and cashiers in the store. Since we (The facility) are essential workers, we at least have been able to leave the house on a regular basis, but this puts our loved ones at risk.

What's bad, is this is taking a toll on our nerves and causes lots of stress, my co-workers and I are getting cabin fever of a different sort.

Aw heck, if you are in the same house you are already sharing. no need for social distancing in the house. Now when I visit my parents, we are the perfect 6 feet away from each other, but mostly to keep me at a distance. I miss giving hugs out to my residents and sharing us time with friends at work. I miss chatting with my neighbors and cashiers in the store. Since we (The facility) are essential workers, we at least have been able to leave the house on a regular basis, but this puts our loved ones at risk.

What's bad, is this is taking a toll on our nerves and causes lots of stress, my co-workers and I are getting cabin fever of a different sort.

Not sure your thinking is correct Fiona - In Canada, there have been a number of cases discussed where an Asymtomatic spouse has infected the other half.
My spouse goes out to do the grocery shopping, and I stay home.
In the event she has somehow contracted the virus while out in the public, when she returns home we try to self-isolate from each other as best we can, for a quarantine period of 8-10 days to ensure neither one of us doesn't show any symptomatic indicators of infection. Then, we proceed normally as a duo sharing the same house.

You did say above, that when, quote: 'you leave the house......, this puts our loved ones at risk' - which expresses exactly our view.
We believe our precautions are a cautious approach to follow.

RRM, Himself and I are doing social distancing at home, too, but we're waiting the full 14 day incubation period before we get cuddly. We've air-kissed from six feet away since I grocery shopped last week Wednesday, and haven't hugged. :( I miss his hugs. We sleep separate, too, but not because of Covid-19. He's a loud snorer, I'm a tosser-turner, and we get better sleep when in our own rooms. Found out by happenstance; each time he had a medical incident (two bad back episodes and broken bones in two separate motorcycle accidents) we'd take to different beds. When we realized we each got a much better night of sleep, we just continued with the program.

I don't know, only cats and dog as roomies at this time. But, I am fairly certain if Shrek was still with us, he'd just look at me and say, "For better or worse..." and then give me a hug.

Given the current situation, don't you think it's a good idea to restrict our interactions so people don't die?

Given the current situation, don't you think it's a good idea to restrict our interactions so people don't die?

Yes, of course

I just noticed that you were replying to a comment that seems to have been deleted.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom