Concerns about the coronavirus/Covid-19 pandemic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, same thing here, the nursing homes/assisted living facilities are closed to the public. I suppose that could help in containing the virus. But if the employees have it, it's not going to matter.

Since after the announcement came from China, it was almost instant that this virus was being picked up on in other countries. That's why I think it's already been all over the world, even before this particular strain was discovered, but nobody knew it because no one was being tested for this specific virus.

Then there's the theory that the reason it was found so quickly in other countries is because China kept it under wraps for too long and didn't 'blow the whistle' soon enough and by the time they blew that whistle, it was already out.

And, as far as I know, we still don't know the source. Bats? Some other weird animal they eat? I don't think any one person knows exactly where it came from. They may just be making stuff up. I mean, yeah, they had to come up with a quick excuse once they knew the virus was being discovered outside their region. And then Dr. Li, the Chinese "whistleblower", who was only 34, mysteriously dies, supposedly from the virus, after he let the cat out of the bag?

Taken from an article...

"Li is one of several whistleblowers in the medical profession who tried to sound the alarm but were apparently shut down by authorities in the crucial first weeks of the outbreak."

This might be a stretch, but there are people who believe this virus was man-made for biomedical warfare. I'm on the fence about the whole thing personally, because I don't know what to believe.
It was found weeks later in other countries, not immediately. The reason is that people travel all over the world now, including from China, to many other countries. The first known case in the United States flew in to Washington state from Wuhan, China in January. Scientists know coronavirus is not the flu because they don't look the same under high magnification.

This is a timeline of the coronavirus outbreak in Washington state. Scroll down to the first case reported in January. It will make for great background reading while PF moves these posts to the new thread for coronavirus [emoji2]

https://www.kiro7.com/news/local/co...timeline-outbreak/IM65JK66N5BYTIAPZ3FUZSKMUE/

Last edited:
I'm wondering what precautions should be taken with deliveries. Should we disinfect the outsides of any containers that we receive, like canned vegis or packages of pasta?

Does anyone know a food safe way to make sure that our produce doesn't have active corona virus on its surface? What about leafy produce? How important is it to try to do something about that?

I just did some looking around and found that there's very little risk of the virus surviving on packages letters, etc, so the chance of contracting the virus from delivered packages - at least according to the article - is extremely low.

As for objects (canned goods and other packaged foods) that we buy in the store, that I'm not certain of, although I imagine the same low risk would apply to them as well.

I always wash produce, so I hope that's good enough.

It was found weeks later in other countries, not immediately. The reason is that people travel all over the world now, including from China, to many other countries. The first known case in the United States flew in to Washington state from Wuhan, China in January. Scientists know coronavirus is not the flu because they don't look the same under high magnification.

This is a timeline of the coronavirus outbreak in Washington state. Scroll down to the first case reported in January. It will make for great background reading while PF moves these posts to the new thread for coronavirus [emoji2]

https://www.kiro7.com/news/local/co...timeline-outbreak/IM65JK66N5BYTIAPZ3FUZSKMUE/

Thanks, GG, I'll give it a read. I guess I'm just a little freaked out by all of this.

Let's be careful about how we talk about the food choices of other cultures. There are people in North America who eat wild game and some of the wild ungulates (hoofed animals like deer, bison, cows, etc.) carry tuberculosis.

I wasn't trying to be insulting.

Based on the discussion in the Petty Vents thread, it looks like a number of us would like to discuss the outbreak. This thread is for that purpose. Princess Fiona will be moving posts from that thread here.

Sorry, GG. It won't let me change date//time so this would appear as the first post.

Back to my chart assessments.:wacko:

Thanks, GG, I'll give it a read. I guess I'm just a little freaked out by all of this.
I think we all are. When I'm stressed about something like this (hurricanes lol), I consume information voraciously. But as I've said many times, I'm very selective about the sources I use. I want reliable information, so I don't do a general search and click on the first few results. For health topics, I usually look at large well-known universities. I also read news sources that I trust. I don't use blogs from unknown people for things this serious.

I know you're doing the best you can :kiss: Take care!

A big thanks from me as well :)

I think we all are. When I'm stressed about something like this (hurricanes lol), I consume information voraciously. But as I've said many times, I'm very selective about the sources I use. I want reliable information, so I don't do a general search and click on the first few results. For health topics, I usually look at large well-known universities. I also read news sources that I trust. I don't use blogs from unknown people for things this serious.

I do the same. Many sources out there just aren't credible.

I also encourage checking with Public Health in your location for special instructions.

Folks from other countries check your public health organizations.

For instance, our facility is going by CMS Guidelines, we are Medicare/Medicaid Certified, if state guidelines are more stringent we integrate those into our response, down to county and city. We use the most stringent.

A few upset families, but for the most part, families are happy with how we are handling the safety and health of their loved ones.

I just did some looking around and found that there's very little risk of the virus surviving on packages letters, etc, so the chance of contracting the virus from delivered packages - at least according to the article - is extremely low.

As for objects (canned goods and other packaged foods) that we buy in the store, that I'm not certain of, although I imagine the same low risk would apply to them as well.

I always wash produce, so I hope that's good enough.

I wasn't thinking so much of delivered packages as delivered groceries. Also, when something is delivered, it has been touched by the delivery person, meaning that it has been recently handled. If the delivery person, who is being exposed to lots of different people, is contagious, any virus won't have had much time to become inactive. The canned goods, I was thinking of the people in the stores who stock the shelves and the ones who pack the groceries for delivery possibly contaminating them. I suspect I'm trying to be overcautious.

Washing produce is definitely a good idea, but is washing in water good enough? Should we take other steps? Is there something food safe that we can add to the water that would do the trick?

One cap of bleach to a gallon of water in a spray bottle will disinfect the canned goods, etc. Spray it on and allow to dry. Do not wipe off!

Do not allow delivery into your house, have them set it down outside.

Quick dip in same solution for produce, allow to air dry, rinse well. Dip solution can be cold, you are relying on the bleach to disinfect, not heat of water.

No other suggestions at this point.

Wash your hands in warm water, using soap. Lather for at least 20 seconds and rinse well. I've taken to wearing medical gloves when I go to the store.

Last edited:
I wasn't thinking so much of delivered packages as delivered groceries. Also, when something is delivered, it has been touched by the delivery person, meaning that it has been recently handled. If the delivery person, who is being exposed to lots of different people, is contagious, any virus won't have had much time to become inactive. The canned goods, I was thinking of the people in the stores who stock the shelves and the ones who pack the groceries for delivery possibly contaminating them. I suspect I'm trying to be overcautious.

Washing produce is definitely a good idea, but is washing in water good enough? Should we take other steps? Is there something food safe that we can add to the water that would do the trick?

Yes, I was thinking the same thing. And not just the people who stock the items, but the customers in the store who pick things up, check them out for several seconds, then put them back on the shelf.

Thanks for that info PF. Any idea how much a cap of bleach is in ml or teaspoons/tablespoons? I don't think all bottles of bleach have the same size of caps.

One of the things I appreciate about SO is how thoroughly she does research on anything, health issues being a top interest/ topic right now. I don't seem to have a long attention span so she compensates for me and prints article(s) out. Then, she updates later along with reprints. Great for discussion.
--

We had purchased tickets for Disney on Ice for granddaughter's birthday along with their family. Tickets bought months ago, so much anticipation on our part and a swell surprise for the littles. We both independently / reluctantly decided a couple days ago we would not attend, SO is well recovered from a post surgery brain infection but months later is still shy about crowds. My lungs are compromised/ a wee bit wheezy due to years of smoking. I thought this was supposed to clear up once you quit smoking, guess not in my case. Anyway Disney cancelled. I realize this is no biggy compared to a myriad of other things.
--

The Littles know the happy birthday song, so we can hear when they wash their hands. They push speed dial and sing to us. Cute. I pity their pre school teachers who probably hear it live and in surround sound all day.
--

Last edited:
Well... I mean... if your state/city/etc. requires a mandatory quarantine period, for at 14 days, no one would want to deal with running out of toilet paper :LOL:...
I heard an interesting segment on Wednesday's NPR Marketplace. A woman was relating her and her husband's experience with their regular, quarterly trip to Costco and how the paper/cleaning aisles were vast wastelands of empty shelves. She called a friend to report; the friend told her that Home Depot still had TP in stock (Lowe's carries paper products like TP and paper towels, too) and advised her to hurry over. When the story teller and her hubby got to Home Depot there was still quite a bit of stock. After plucking one 24-double roll package off the shelf, she turned to her husband and asked if they should buy more. His reply? "I think 24 double rolls of TP are more than enough for a two-week quarantine". :LOL: Himself also hear on a new report that there is a local newspaper somewhere that is leaving 8 pages blank for...just in case. :D

Like Andy mentioned in a different thread, grocery stores by us are adequately stocked except for the cleaning and paper products, along with a few other interesting items. Peanut butter? Practically gone - but lots of jelly and jam on the shelves. And all of the 2.5 ounce chocolate bars in the same aisle. :huh: No cans of baked beans on the shelves (I think we now know why people are grabbing TP so much). And ALL of the cleaning aids shelves were bare. Do people not clean when things are "normal"? On the other hand, a friend in Columbus posted a photo of the "Groveland" (Grove City?) Kroger produce aisle - two bags of potatoes. That's it in the potato and onion aisle. :wacko:

I heard an interesting segment on Wednesday's NPR Marketplace. A woman was relating her and her husband's experience with their regular, quarterly trip to Costco and how the paper/cleaning aisles were vast wastelands of empty shelves. She called a friend to report; the friend told her that Home Depot still had TP in stock (Lowe's carries paper products like TP and paper towels, too) and advised her to hurry over. When the story teller and her hubby got to Home Depot there was still quite a bit of stock. After plucking one 24-double roll package off the shelf, she turned to her husband and asked if they should buy more. His reply? "I think 24 double rolls of TP are more than enough for a two-week quarantine". :LOL: Himself also hear on a new report that there is a local newspaper somewhere that is leaving 8 pages blank for...just in case. :D

Like Andy mentioned in a different thread, grocery stores by us are adequately stocked except for the cleaning and paper products, along with a few other interesting items. Peanut butter? Practically gone - but lots of jelly and jam on the shelves. And all of the 2.5 ounce chocolate bars in the same aisle. :huh: No cans of baked beans on the shelves (I think we now know why people are grabbing TP so much). And ALL of the cleaning aids shelves were bare. Do people not clean when things are "normal"? On the other hand, a friend in Columbus posted a photo of the "Groveland" (Grove City?) Kroger produce aisle - two bags of potatoes. That's it in the potato and onion aisle. :wacko:

Yeah, that's probably Grove City, where I do my shopping as well. Glad I grabbed a sack of potatoes yesterday!

Toilet paper pretty much everywhere is gone. Beans are inexpensive, nutritious and filling, so no surprise there either.

But yeah, will need lots of TP after eating all of those :LOL:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom