Cookbooks of Actors & Actresses: Your Ratings?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Margi Cintrano

Washing Up
:chef: Good Afternoon,

Before I sign off on this rainy Sunday, my question is: How do you rate cookbooks of actors & actresses ? Which ones do you own ?

My favorite is Sofia Loren´s ... This is a fine tool for regional Italian, and she takes great pride in her native country´s local ingredients. I have enjoyed her book very much. Sofia is passionate and provides her presenting of her dishes with wonderful care & visual impact.

I was given Gwyneth Paltrow´s last summer as a present ... There are some very good suggestions on meals for young children and easy simple dishes from all corners of the world.

At the moment, these are the only two I have written by performing artists. I love cookbooks, and am always curious ...

Authoress Isabel Allende´s book, Aphrodite which is a recipe book of exotic aphrodisiac recipes, and tropicals is lovely and I have it since its release back in the 1990s.

Look forward to your ratings and views.

Enjoy weekend.
Margi.

I have a few and most are not very good.

I think the oddest one I have was written by Vincent Price and his wife, they traveled the world collecting recipes at some very fine restaurants.

The best one I have was written by Tony Danza, he is a pretty good Italian American cook.

Good Morning Aunt Bea,

Vincent Price ... I am sure he does a better Dracula ... ha ha ... He truly is a Perfect for those classic roles ...

I have not been aware that Tony Danza published a cookbook.

Thanks for the feedback ...

Margi.

Sophia has pasta every day. I don't think she could make a bad dish.

I am leery of celebrity cookbooks. They usually have an agenda such as vegetarian, au natural foods only, etc. They meet a guru on a trip to the middle of the Amazon jungle and think they are now an expert on how to cook bugs and snakes. :ohmy:

Unless I'm specifically looking for advice on acting, I find that a good rule of thumb is to not take advice from actors/actresses. Being a celebrity doesn't automatically make one an expert on cooking, or anything else for that matter. I'd rather buy a cookbook written by a chef.

Even though I have close to 2,000 cookbooks, I never really actively looked for one done by an actor/actress, so I can't comment. And, the only one I do have is one I purchased at a yard sale. It's a very old Vincent Price one and, after thumbing thoroughly through it, I have to admit I was impressed. However, I was aware before I bought the book that he was a fine cook, which is one of the reasons I bought it.

I agree with Steve, I think it's better to choose books from someone who is truly in the field of cooking, rather than one who adds their "name" to a cookbook because they're a celebrity. Similarly, I don't buy cookware or other goods because they're endorsed by someone "famous."

Good Afternoon Ladies & Gents,

Firstly, Sophia Loren is knows what she is doing in an Italian Kitchen, as a matter of fact it is quite a good edition for those who love pasta and seafood, shellfish and fish ... ( I do ).

Though I agree and would not go out to buy a cookbook just because an actor or actress wrote it, many are just like we are, have a true enjoyment of cooking and gastronomy in general ...

None the less,

The majority of my cookbooks have been written by Chefs, obviously, and chefs who are or were also Culinary Instructors at well known Culinary Institutes. I also have the Le Cordon Bleu Cookbook Series from the courses I have taken over the years, and the basics, the fundamentals, and the technological side of things and machinery, tools etcetra.

Thanks for all your feedback.
Margi.

Most of my cookbooks are all encompassing in nature, from appetizers to desserts. I do have a few on Mexican, Mediterranean, Spanish and Asian cuisines. Many of my cookbooks are specific to Tapas and Bento. None from "famous" people.

Princess Fiona,

Glad that you have participated. Yes, I too own historical cookbooks, on Italian, Greek, Middle Eastern, Mexican, Iberian Peninsula, USA by region, Japan and France ... off top of head ... However, I like Culinary Artists and Teachers literary works too. As well, as a person who is an artistic chef, too, and not famous.

Have nice evening.
Margi.

Chef Ferrán Adriá ´s Book: Family Meals in English

:chef: I highly recommend Chef Adriá´s book FAMILY MEALS in English. It is broken down into complete 3 course meal formats: starters, mains and desserts, with simple in color step by step demonstrations on preparation and presentation. Worthwhile book to have. Its´ recipes include fish, poultry, meats, desserts, rices, pastas, salads, sauces, doughs, pastries and fruit and veggies. Very informative and exemplary source for those who require step by step to enhance skills. Additionally, it has a whole section on Kitch Tools, Kitchenware utensils and Cookware and Measuring.

Available in English: www.amazon.com

*** Does anyone have this book in their libraries and what is your view ?

Have a nice Tuesday. :)
Margi.

Last edited:
I love Sophia's book and do have one of Price's recipes that I used to make, but for the life of me I can't remember what it was.
My fav though is Dom DeLuise's,' Eat This, You'll Feel Better' - the first one is the best and even if you don't like the recipes, the book is a treasure of stories.
Mom had a Liberace cookbook. She loved the guy. But as she was such a non-adventerous cook, I don't think she would have tried anything from it.
After she passed, I cleaned out her things and didn't find it. She must have lent it out and never got it back. Tis a shame. I'd love to read that one now.

Two Old To Change,

Thanks for your feedback ... Interesting.

Many of these old timer Hollywood presenters and performing artists, restaurateurs and hoteliers, have or had uncountable anecodotes ...

Yes, I agree about Sophia´s book ... she does a fine job.

Thanks for feedback.
Margi.

Two Old To Change,

Liberace ! wow ... take your time and see if it turns up ... or look on www.amazon.com and see if it goes on sale. I have bought some cookbooks on Amazon for as little as $ 4.69 USD.

I have come across some recipes from ELVIS and I am wondering if there is a cookbook too ... He loved his ELVIS SANDWICHES ...

I had met a native New Yorker lady Chef years ago in South Miami Beach, who travelled through Tennessee and Mississippi researching ELVIS recipes for her start up, which she sold and thus, is now closed.

I shall post it ! FUN sandwich especially for kids, and grown up kids !

Margi.

Two Old To Change,

Liberace ! wow ... take your time and see if it turns up ... or look on www.amazon.com and see if it goes on sale. I have bought some cookbooks on Amazon for as little as $ 4.69 USD.

I have come across some recipes from ELVIS and I am wondering if there is a cookbook too ... He loved his ELVIS SANDWICHES ...

I had met a native New Yorker lady Chef years ago in South Miami Beach, who travelled through Tennessee and Mississippi researching ELVIS recipes for her start up, which she sold and thus, is now closed.

I shall post it ! FUN sandwich especially for kids, and grown up kids !

Margi.

I have a copy of the Presley Family Cookbook, you can still find it online. It is interesting and has some good old southern recipes. IMHO it is not a great cookbook, just fun to have.

@ Aunt Bea,

Wow ... cool, to have and enjoy, Elvis Presley Family Cookbook.

I would not think it to be a Julia Child Edition or James Beard however, FUN FUN FUN ...

Thanks for feedback.
Margi.

In general, not a fan. I did however make an exception with Gwyneth Paltrow as she was over here on a few programmes demonstrating recipes and she came across as very genuine.

Apart from that it just seems like a bit of an extra money spinner.

The only "celebrity" cookbook I have, is by my grandmother's favorite comedienne, Zasu Pitts - The Candy Hits by Zasu Pitts. You'd have to be really old to know who she was - a silent film star, but then got into "talkies" LOL.

But she was, evidently, quite a well known cook; this book was published in 1963, and the first celebrity cookbook I know of. There are probably older ones, though. She was famous for having a round kitchen.

Her recipes are simple, and really good.

@ Gravy Queen: Gwenyth Paltrow´s Cookbook

:yum: Good Evening G.Q.,

Yes, I have to say there are some lovely recipes in it ... I like her:
Oreganata Pasta, Peach Vodka Prosecco Cooler and her Grilled fresh Halibut with fresh Mango Salsa ... Lovely.

I have to substitute Halibut for Plaice or Cod or Gilt Bream or Sea Bass ... However, it is a truly lite, nice fish recipe and the ease and simplicity.

Thanks for feedback.
Have nice wkend.
Margi. :)

@ Sherry,

Thank you for the feedback. Very interesting ... I am a classic film aficionada ( fan ) and thus, know who you are referring to ... COOL ...

Have nice wkend.
Margi.

Well Known Chefs Have Been Penning & Authoring Too

:chef: Good Evening,

Celebrity Chefs ( Star Chefs ) also pen and author cookbooks ... and / or get Ghost Writers to write up and publish their recipes. I have quite a few in English, by USA Chefs, including:

Ad Hoc At Home - By: Tom Keller

Cooking By Hand - By: Paul Bertolli

The Zuni Café - By: Judy Rodgers ( San Francisco )

The Lutèce Cookbook - By: Andre Sohner

Think Like A Chef - By: Tom Collicchio

:cool:;) Which do you have and what are your views ?

Have nice wkend.
Margi.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom