Cookery Superstitions/Old Wives' Tales

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mad Cook

Master Chef
Which ones were you brought up with?

1. If you put your hand in the water in which eggs have been boiled you will get warts. (Huh?)

2. If you eat raw potato you will get worms. (I can see where this is coming from but why doesn't it apply to raw carrots?)

Interesting. I've never heard of either of these. Perhaps they're British in origin. Off hand, I can't think of any I've heard or been told. I'll have to scour my memory to see if there are any I can recall.

It should be informative/amusing to see what others submit. Thanks for the idea.

The only one that comes to mind is "An apple a day keeps the doctor away"

I know I've skipped a day or three but I love apples and the doctors seem to want to see me more often as I age. :rolleyes:

As Katie H said it will be interesting to see this thread evolve. ;)

BTW. My soup is no longer salty but now I've got worms. :whistling

When my Grandmother poured tea if bubbles appeared on the surface in your cup she would tell us to slurp them up before they disapppeared because they symbolized money coming our way.

"Eat your (fill in the blank), it'll put hair on your chest."

I didn't want hair on my chest...

you'll get hairy palms or go blind if you..

umm, wait. this is about food.

how come the print is getting so hard to see?

My favorite! If you swallow the seeds, a watermelon will grow inside you!

So I should have had a garden growing inside. Green beans, watermelon, tomatoes, corn, strawberries, etc. :angel:

same thing with swallowing bubble gum and fingernails. they form a ball that stays in your stomach forever.

Gosh, Mad Cook. My Mom, gone now -- she passed away at 85 yrs. old -- said her mother told her that when she was a girl. Mom's hair was wavy, not curly; not enough crusts, I guess. Yes, the family's English-Irish in origin.

Gosh, Mad Cook. My Mom, gone now -- she passed away at 85 yrs. old -- said her mother told her that when she was a girl. Mom's hair was wavy, not curly; not enough crusts, I guess. Yes, the family's English-Irish in origin.

Well, that explains my perfectly straight hair growing up. Now! It has started to curl on its own when I don't want it to. Makes for cowlicks all over my head.

Most of these I have heard, a lot I haven't. :angel:

As a young girl, I remember being told that if I swallowed an orange pip, then a tree would grow! :ohmy:

I recall the worry and trauma of having swallowed a pip and whether I'd have to keep my mouth open forever so that the tree trunk would grow up out of it! :(
3197674658.gif
:rolleyes:

(It never occurred to me that I had not seen anyone like this).

What a cruel thing to say to a child!
eusa_naughty.gif

Back
Top Bottom