Cooking has gone to crap, what?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

greeneyez7000

Assistant Cook
Has anyone experienced this where it doesn't matter what you make it either doesnt turn out, is taking longer than supposed to or significant other keeps complaining that your cooking is no longer good. I don't know what what we have a 1 yr old so i dont know if its cuz im sleep deprived or what but it really sucks

cooking has gone to crap

Welcome to DC! I think you are definitely sleep-deprived. No worries, your cooking muse will come back. You have a lot of stress right now. If your SO complains, then let him do the cooking.

Last edited:
Glad im not going crazy but it seems my fiance gets mad cuz he doesnt like it throws away his food then tells me that maybe he'll start buying his own dinner cuz im wasting food. He used to think i was an amazing cook but not lately

cooking has gone to crap

Your main focus is your kid right now. If your SO is being a jerk, then he can eat cereal or peanut butter toast.

Your main focus is your kid right now. If your SO is being a jerk, then he can eat cereal or peanut butter toast.
+1! Being a new Mom is a more than full-time job. You need to adapt to your new "boss" (your young'un) and still keep your wits about you. I think that your fiance had best get used to lunchmeat sandwiches and canned soup until you get your wits back - unless he wants to take over the job of cooking.

Our "first born" was twins, but I had the wonderful help of two local grandparents (my folks) who came over at the first request. If you don't have family you can call on, perhaps there is a young (10 or 11-year-old) in your neighborhood who you can enlist as a "Mother's Helper". The 10-Y-O next to us was in Girl Scouts and working on a Child Care badge. She came over to play with the kids while I fixed simple meals. She was a Godsend! Maybe there is someone in the neighborhood who can do that for you, even if you pay them a small amount. Maybe teaching them a skill that you have that they are interested in would work out, too.

Good luck! Parenthood isn't for sissies. ;)

If and when my wife or kids complain about my food, I show them the fridge and stove top and say have fun cooking your own meals. Suddenly they shut up. ( usually they're joking and just want to see my response ( kids 18 and 20). But Im one of those people who watch them eat what I cooked. I look for facial expressions or whats left over. Thats usually how I get my feedback.

Sure, sometimes i get in a rut of things not up to par. Usually, at that point, Ill take a step back and go back to the basics. Ill cook things that are maybe simpler or that I've cooked hundreds of times.

I remember once I was asked to cook a dish Ive made dozens of times, for a family gathering. Problem was, I had a cold and a stuffed nose. When I served it, as always, I noticed the left overs and the faces. I asked my wife what the deal was, since its always such a hit. She said I put so much salt in, it was almost not edible :) . Because of my cold, I couldn't taste a damn thing.

Your situation, having a 1 yearly, clearly your priorities have changed ( which is a good thing). Its better that you be a great mom,than a great cook. you'll get back in to your groove in time. Just keep things simple, go back to the basics, and have a great time enjoying your 1 year old. you have more than enough time in your life to cook, and Im sure you'll bounce back.

Without getting involved, I don't see any reason for your significant other to get mad.

larry

Glad im not going crazy but it seems my fiance gets mad cuz he doesnt like it throws away his food then tells me that maybe he'll start buying his own dinner cuz im wasting food. He used to think i was an amazing cook but not lately

Sounds to me like the problem is elsewhere. Food is just the excuse for the tantrum.

Men sometimes get a little jealous of Mom giving more of her attention to the new baby and less to him. So let him buy dinner, but for both of you ;)

It might help to encourage him to take care of the kiddo while you make dinner. It's not easy to concentrate on both of those things at once.

Everyone's suggestions are wonderful and you can pick and choose from them to suit your situation.

Having such a young one is more than a 24-hour job over and above everything else you have to do. I understand your frustration because I raised 8 children and there were days I probably couldn't have told you my name.

Just try to take a breath and tell yourself that this won't last forever. It won't.

As for your SO, he might be feeling a little left out as someone already mentioned or is venting for other reasons. Is there something going on at his place of work that might be making him feel threatened? Don't forget, he's now responsible for 3 people, one of whom is essentially helpless without you or him. There's a little stress there, too. A baby isn't something you can return to the department store for a refund.

Take a breath. Have a good cry and tell yourself to look at things a little differently the next day.

This, too, shall pass.

He should do the cooking if he's dissatisfied with your cooking. :) My wife has a bad back and can't walk very well, so I have to do all the shopping, cooking, cleaning. And also working, plus taking care of her brother who has developmental disabilities.

It's hard work running a household. He should be more sensitive and if he wants a menu change, he should surprise you by bringing home some groceries and cooking dinner and give you a break.

Let him toss all the food away that he wants.

You fix what you fix and that's it.

Want something different then fix and pay for it yourself.

When I grew up we were grateful for what we were served.

My how times and attitudes have changed. :neutral:

Let him toss all the food away that he wants.

You fix what you fix and that's it.

Want something different then fix and pay for it yourself.

When I grew up we were grateful for what we were served.

My how times and attitudes have changed. :neutral:

Great advice. I feel like a short order cook sometimes. My wife can't cook due to her back problem, but she is super picky. For example, the other night she wouldn't tell me what she wanted for dinner, and I had to feed her disabled brother.

It was getting to be almost 6, so I just cooked spaghetti with meat sauce and made a nice salad. She turned up her nose at it, so I had to make her a grilled cheese and soup. I need to install a restaurant style grille with a grease trap, and get an order pad like a waitress would have. :LOL:

Has anyone experienced this where it doesn't matter what you make it either doesnt turn out, is taking longer than supposed to or significant other keeps complaining that your cooking is no longer good. I don't know what what we have a 1 yr old so i dont know if its cuz im sleep deprived or what but it really sucks

I'm sorry for your troubles greeneyez, but you must know by now you have a very inconsiderate partner and my guess is you've known that for a while. For heavens sake, don't marry him! Things will only get worse. I'm betting his attitude has nothing at all to do with your cooking. Keep your chin up, and take care of your baby and yourself.

I'm sorry to hear that, jd. You seem to have a good sense of humor about it, but I'm sure it gets old. There's almost no greater joy than cooking with love for someone who appreciates it. I hope it gets better for you - maybe your wife can sit at the table and chop veggies, write up menus, or something to help her feel more involved in the daily meals...?

I'm sorry to hear that, jd. You seem to have a good sense of humor about it, but I'm sure it gets old. There's almost no greater joy than cooking with love for someone who appreciates it. I hope it gets better for you - maybe your wife can sit at the table and chop veggies, write up menus, or something to help her feel more involved in the daily meals...?

+1 another idea is to get her a kitchen chair so she can help. I have one on wheels that's intended for a drafting table, and I can scoot all over the kitchen in it and use it when my back or knee is acting up.

I'm sorry for your troubles greeneyez, but you must know by now you have a very inconsiderate partner and my guess is you've known that for a while. For heavens sake, don't marry him! Things will only get worse. I'm betting his attitude has nothing at all to do with your cooking. Keep your chin up, and take care of your baby and yourself.

I have a co-worker who has a couple of kids with an inconsiderate ass. Well that's being polite. He is emotionally and physically abusive to her. She comes home from work and has to do the cleaning and cooking. He doesn't even take care of their 2 small kids (under 3). They live next to his mom, so my co-worker has to bundle up the kids at 8AM and drops them off at her house before leaving for work.

He sleeps until noon and then plays video games all day. Weird thing is, she's a beautiful 25 year old woman and could have a professional guy who is a great provider, if she would leave him. Her parents are both dead. She has a sister who begs her to leave him.

His mom has had to call 911 when the dude gets violent. Even his mom has told my co-worker "my son doesn't deserve you! Leave him!" She has a self-esteem problem.

Last edited:
+1 another idea is to get her a kitchen chair so she can help. I have one on wheels that's intended for a drafting table, and I can scoot all over the kitchen in it and use it when my back or knee is acting up.

I was going to buy a stool, but she said she wouldn't use it. lol. Thanks for the suggestions, y'all. I appreciate it. She starts therapy Monday so hopefully it will help.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom