Cooking With Mom

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoAnn L.

Master Chef
Did any of you great cooks start out by helping your mom in the kitchen? I didn't, my mom was very fussy about her cooking and cleaning. I did get to help with the laundry. I was pretty good at hanging it up right. But I digress, back to cooking. When we were first married, we ate a lot of suppers of canned food or take out. But when we started to have kids, I had to learn pretty fast. :rolleyes:

That's just how I started. (although I wouldn't call myself a great cook I would say I am passionate and getting better every year!) My mother and my sister, who was 20 when I came a long, are both great cooks. My mother had an admirable policy of "no packet / fast food" when I was a child and so everything came fresh and homemade. Even tiny toddler fingers can learn to make a breadcrumb texture from a bit of batter and flour or butter and sugar, (wheter my early efforts were actually included in the actual dish I doubt!) and as I got older my tasks were gradually made more complicated until I was cooking alone without really realising it. By the time I was 11 or 12 I was frequently helping by making the mid week meals, so my mother had less to do after work.

Although when I was a teenager I seriously rebelled and indulged in junk food and fizzy drinks at friends' homes!

I learned from my Mom and grandmother from doing and watching. Many times my Mom would just have me sit and watch her cook so that I would not be in her way but I asked many questions. Now it makes me proud that she does the same with me. This past week, she was asking about many different things that she knows I cook and she never did.

you betcha! Parents: cook with your kids! Kids: cook with your parents!

It gives continuity to family, traditions, cultures, it bonds, it expands, it nurtures, teaches...

it's way important, and real yummy too.

My mom passed away 6 years ago, but she is with me everytime I stuff and roast a turkey, or make potato salad, or lentil soup, ... My dad loved soups, and beans of all kinds, and dense homemade bread. My family is with me in my recipes, my traditions which I carry on...

It is so sad to hear someone say "gramma made the best widget pie, but we never got her recipe" ... what a loss to family.

Cook together!

That is exactly where my roots are. Most kids beat on pots and pans, I was making creme brulee and stuff at that age.

My mom is a grad of the Culinary institute of Switzerland. Nowaday, she only cooks for people that she loves:) and has been on the soft side of things for a long time.

It wasn't untill I started in pro kitchens(at 13) that I learned all the stuff I already knew, had technical terms. Mom still likes to think I learned everything I know from her(and I let her think that), but she gave me an AWESOME foundation to start on without me ever even knowing it.

I thank her all the time.

I learned the basics from my mother, who was a gifted natural cook, and from my dad, who taught me how to grill. A large part of that was so my friends and I wouldn't starve to death on Boy Scout camping trips or in college.

good for you guys. wish I could get my kid interested in something besides Hot Pockets, ramen noodles, and pbjs. I did show her how to make fried rice, but there's so much more.............

Mudbug, don't give up on her yet!! My oldest was one that said she would never cook outside of a TV dinner. Guess what?! She has turned into one h*ll of a cook, once she got her own apartment and when she has time to cook!!!!! I am so proud of her!!! She even has taught me a few things!!!!!!

Yes, I learned from Mom. I was the oldest child of a good-sized family, and I liked to cook from day one. Mom was a military wife and SHE learned from the various women ("war brides") she met over the years. In that era it was mostly Japanese, French and German women. Now Mom doesn't enjoy cooking as much as she used to ... when I go to visit the family, the first thing she asks me is what am I going to cook for her? Will I make her some of Claire's ratatoulle?

I was born in 1962 and where I grew up, most of the mothers were home all day long. Most houses only had one car, too....

In the early 70s my mother got a full time job and needed help with dinner. I was the oldest duaghter so that became my job. She'd start some things in the morning, or leave notes on how to do something, but by the time she got home at 5:30 or so, followed quickly by my dad, dinner was just about ready.

I started cooking when I was 10 and knew right away that I wanted to stay in the kitchen.

I don't rememeber a time where I wasn't cooking or baking.When my Mom was well, I spent most of my time in the kitchen with her.When she wasn't either her Mom or one of my father's 5 sister's would be taking care of my siblings and myself-all of which are amazing cooks and bakers who I loved being around in the kitchen.I learned from an early age that if you give most people something that tastes good you can make them happy for awhile and I sure liked that feeling then as I do now.Love and energy, Vicki

I was taught to cook by watching both my Mum and my Grannies (both of them). All were really good cooks. My mum became more catholic in her approach to food, simply because we lived abroad when I as a child and my Mum found out about other cuisines, Greek, Singaporean and from Hong Kong. She was also a great follower of Elizabeth David, and so we ate quite adventurously in comparisons to say, my cousins, who also learned cooking and baking from their mothers.

Back
Top Bottom