"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-29-2020, 05:07 PM   #1
Head Chef
 
Linda0818's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 1,031
Cooks Skin Care

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Cooking View Post
We wear masks, carry liquid and cloth sanitizers everywhere we go..

Ross
Same here. I have hand sanitizer in my car, in my purse, at work and, of course, at home. My poor hands are suffering from it all, including the handwashing. I have very sensitive, dry skin. I also go through a lot of hand lotion. It doesn't always help, though.

Linda0818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 08:11 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire
 
msmofet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 11,600
My hands are dry, cracked and flaking from washing. My one finger was so bad I got an infection. Went to doc and he gave me antibiotics (which I HATE! Besides the yeast infections and bathroom issues. I ALWAYS get sick within 14 days of the last pill!). Doctor said if it doesn't clear up quickly I will need to see a hand specialist. I really don't want to risk another doctor visit much less one I have never been to before.
__________________
There is freedom within, there is freedom without
Try to catch the deluge in a paper cup
There's a battle ahead, many battles are lost
msmofet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 08:22 PM   #3
Head Chef
 
Linda0818's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 1,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
My hands are dry, cracked and flaking from washing. My one finger was so bad I got an infection. Went to doc and he gave me antibiotics (which I HATE! Besides the yeast infections and bathroom issues. I ALWAYS get sick within 14 days of the last pill!). Doctor said if it doesn't clear up quickly I will need to see a hand specialist. I really don't want to risk another doctor visit much less one I have never been to before.
Yeah, but you don't want to risk possibly losing your finger. Infections are bad.

I don't normally have issues with antibiotics, as long as they don't give me penicillin or any of its derivatives. I'm deathly allergic.

I hope it clears up soon. I have issues with eczema and my skin drying out from the hand-washing and the sanitizers just makes it worse. I have a spot on my left index finger that's driving me crazy. I'm using my prescription lotion from my dermatologist (specifically for the eczema) to hopefully clear it up and keep it from spreading. Often times once a small area breaks out, it grows into a bigger problem.
Linda0818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 08:29 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire
 
msmofet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 11,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda0818 View Post
Yeah, but you don't want to risk possibly losing your finger. Infections are bad.

I don't normally have issues with antibiotics, as long as they don't give me penicillin or any of its derivatives. I'm deathly allergic.

I hope it clears up soon. I have issues with eczema and my skin drying out from the hand-washing and the sanitizers just makes it worse. I have a spot on my left index finger that's driving me crazy. I'm using my prescription lotion from my dermatologist (specifically for the eczema) to hopefully clear it up and keep it from spreading. Often times once a small area breaks out, it grows into a bigger problem.
I also have those issues. I have a lotion with lactic acid that burns like crazy and really only helps with the splits and cracks on my fingers. Doesn't do much for the rest. I have been to several dermatologist over the years and sorry to say they are mostly useless. They take my money and say that this will be recurring try oatmeal soap or some other useless advice.
__________________
There is freedom within, there is freedom without
Try to catch the deluge in a paper cup
There's a battle ahead, many battles are lost
msmofet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 08:30 PM   #5
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 38,487
https://goatmilkstuff.com/collection...lk-soap/eczema

The best soap out there.

Use less sanitizer, for sure and wash your hands with a good soap, the water does not need to be blazing hot, just warm will do.

I wash my hands constantly, I don't use an antibacterial soap. My hands are soft and no dryness.
__________________
“There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.” - Albert Einstein
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 08:46 PM   #6
Head Chef
 
Linda0818's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 1,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
I also have those issues. I have a lotion with lactic acid that burns like crazy and really only helps with the splits and cracks on my fingers. Doesn't do much for the rest. I have been to several dermatologist over the years and sorry to say they are mostly useless. They take my money and say that this will be recurring try oatmeal soap or some other useless advice.
Luckily my dermatologist helped me. He prescribed me Betamethasone, which is a topical steroid, and it really does help with my eczema.

As far as standard itching and dry skin, the best stuff I've used (which also was recommended by my dermatologist) is Cera Ve Itch Relief moisturizing cream. The stuff is pretty amazing. Expensive, but worth it.
Linda0818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 08:50 PM   #7
Head Chef
 
Linda0818's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 1,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
https://goatmilkstuff.com/collection...lk-soap/eczema

The best soap out there.

Use less sanitizer, for sure and wash your hands with a good soap, the water does not need to be blazing hot, just warm will do.

I wash my hands constantly, I don't use an antibacterial soap. My hands are soft and no dryness.
Oh! Wonderful. I'm going to order some tonight and see how it works for me. Thanks for the info

Edit: quick question - is there one you would personally recommend?
Linda0818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 08:59 PM   #8
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 38,487
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda0818 View Post
Oh! Wonderful. I'm going to order some tonight and see how it works for me. Thanks for the info

Edit: quick question - is there one you would personally recommend?
With your cracking and very dry skin I would try the Tea Tree Oil soap. The Tea Tree is an antiseptic (not antibiotic). The Purity has no added scent or oils, just plain soap. They have travel bars that are much smaller and cheaper if you want to try it before investing in a large bar. It lasts forever!! They also have some odds and ends bags in most types, even smaller chunks, I keep a bag of that in my purse for handwashing away from home.

I've been using their soap for about 5 years now.
__________________
“There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.” - Albert Einstein
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 09:13 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Cooking Goddess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Body in MA ~ Heart in OH
Posts: 13,846
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda0818 View Post
...As far as standard itching and dry skin, the best stuff I've used (which also was recommended by my dermatologist) is Cera Ve Itch Relief moisturizing cream. The stuff is pretty amazing. Expensive, but worth it.
I'm with you on the CeraVe, Linda. While I still buy the name brand for my face wash, I have found out that my skin can't tell the difference between CeraVe and Walmart's knock off lotion. Saves a few dollars each bottle.

Another soap suggestion. On one of my trips to the dermatologist, the freshly minted doc helping out in the office suggested Dove body wash for showering. Dove always made me itch, and still did. I finally found that the lavender and olive oil bar soap from Kiss My Face made my skin feel great. Over the years my skin issues have diminished some, so the less expensive lavender soap by Yardley is just as gentle.
__________________
“You shouldn’t wait to be senile before you become eccentric.”— Helene Truter

"Remember, all that matters in the end is getting the meal on the table." ~ Julia Child
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 09:15 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Cooking Goddess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Body in MA ~ Heart in OH
Posts: 13,846
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
With your cracking and very dry skin I would try the Tea Tree Oil soap. The Tea Tree is an antiseptic (not antibiotic)...
If I had to use tea tree oil, I'd just go ahead and be miserable. I just can't stand the smell.
__________________
“You shouldn’t wait to be senile before you become eccentric.”— Helene Truter

"Remember, all that matters in the end is getting the meal on the table." ~ Julia Child
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 09:19 PM   #11
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 38,487
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
If I had to use tea tree oil, I'd just go ahead and be miserable. I just can't stand the smell.
They have scads of scented soaps, that listing was just for the soaps they suggest for eczema.
__________________
“There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.” - Albert Einstein
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 09:20 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire
 
msmofet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 11,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
With your cracking and very dry skin I would try the Tea Tree Oil soap. The Tea Tree is an antiseptic (not antibiotic). The Purity has no added scent or oils, just plain soap. They have travel bars that are much smaller and cheaper if you want to try it before investing in a large bar. It lasts forever!! They also have some odds and ends bags in most types, even smaller chunks, I keep a bag of that in my purse for handwashing away from home.

I've been using their soap for about 5 years now.
"They also have some odds and ends bags in most types, even smaller chunks," Where are those located under?
__________________
There is freedom within, there is freedom without
Try to catch the deluge in a paper cup
There's a battle ahead, many battles are lost
msmofet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 09:28 PM   #13
Head Chef
 
Linda0818's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 1,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
With your cracking and very dry skin I would try the Tea Tree Oil soap. The Tea Tree is an antiseptic (not antibiotic). The Purity has no added scent or oils, just plain soap. They have travel bars that are much smaller and cheaper if you want to try it before investing in a large bar. It lasts forever!! They also have some odds and ends bags in most types, even smaller chunks, I keep a bag of that in my purse for handwashing away from home.

I've been using their soap for about 5 years now.
Excellent, thank so much for the info. I'll try the Tea Tree Goat Milk soap. I'll go ahead and get a regular bar, it's only $6.50. I'll also check out some more of their products. And great idea carrying some around with you.

Thanks again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
I'm with you on the CeraVe, Linda. While I still buy the name brand for my face wash, I have found out that my skin can't tell the difference between CeraVe and Walmart's knock off lotion. Saves a few dollars each bottle.

Another soap suggestion. On one of my trips to the dermatologist, the freshly minted doc helping out in the office suggested Dove body wash for showering. Dove always made me itch, and still did. I finally found that the lavender and olive oil bar soap from Kiss My Face made my skin feel great. Over the years my skin issues have diminished some, so the less expensive lavender soap by Yardley is just as gentle.
I didn't know Walmart had a version of the CeraVe. May look into that, although I still have quite a bit of the CeraVe left, as I bought the bigger tub of it.

I have the same problem with Dove. My skin can't handle the stuff. And I've actually had the Yardley soaps before, given to me at Christmas one year. I think it was oatmeal, or something similar.

My derm suggested the Cetaphil bar soap for handwashing to help prevent eczema outbreaks. He also suggested using gloves to wash dishes and the most comfy gloves I've found are the Mr. Clean Bliss. Soooooooo soft sliding your hands down into them and it helps to keep the dishwashing liquid away from my skin.
Linda0818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 10:08 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Cooking Goddess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Body in MA ~ Heart in OH
Posts: 13,846
Linda, those are latex free, right? I use only latex free to avoid break-outs. I've also put cotton gloves on before sliding the dish gloves on.
__________________
“You shouldn’t wait to be senile before you become eccentric.”— Helene Truter

"Remember, all that matters in the end is getting the meal on the table." ~ Julia Child
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 10:12 PM   #15
Head Chef
 
Linda0818's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 1,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Linda, those are latex free, right? I use only latex free to avoid break-outs. I've also put cotton gloves on before sliding the dish gloves on.
Yes ma'am

Linda0818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 06:35 AM   #16
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 38,487
Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
"They also have some odds and ends bags in most types, even smaller chunks," Where are those located under?
https://goatmilkstuff.com/products/d...ed-soap-pieces
__________________
“There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.” - Albert Einstein
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 10:10 AM   #17
Head Chef
 
Linda0818's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 1,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
What a good idea, selling the scraps. Nothing gets wasted. Plus, with the right equipment, you can turn those scraps into full bars.

I know we've gotten kind of off-topic here, but it all relates back to the virus. We're not alone with skin problems due to all the hand-washing and the use of hand sanitizers. That alcohol is hard on your epidermis! I've read where many people are dealing with the same thing. I'm sitting here right now itching my fingers.

Well, in between typing

I was wrong on one of my previous posts - we're not doing okay in Ohio. That very day at work (I think it was just yesterday, in fact) they reported that cases are rising faster than they had been in previous weeks. But that's to be expected, I would imagine, due to not only all the riots and protests everywhere, but the re-opening of businesses. And the kids aren't taking it seriously, which is another problem. High school and college-age kids, to be specific. Heard numbers of cases were rising in 20-49 yo's.
Linda0818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 10:46 AM   #18
Executive Chef
 
Just Cooking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Springfield, MO
Posts: 3,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Thank you..

Ordering as soon as daughter makes her choice of scent.. Jeannie chose Black Raspberry..

Ross
__________________
Disclaimer: My experiences may not be as someone else might think correct.. Life goes on..
Just Cooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 03:03 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire
 
msmofet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 11,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Thank you so much PF! Placed order for half size and travel size bars for DD and I (2 Purity varieties, oatmeal & honey and Tea Tree bars). Also an almond lotion stick and scrap bag. They didn't have the scraps I wanted so I will have to try again another time.
__________________
There is freedom within, there is freedom without
Try to catch the deluge in a paper cup
There's a battle ahead, many battles are lost
msmofet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 06:44 PM   #20
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 38,487
I hope you like the soap as much as I do. I'm using lemongrass for my morning shower and the Kool Koala for my evening shower. The Kool Koala has eucalyptus and helps with my hayfever, reducing congestion, so I can sleep at night. My skin has not been dry or itchy for years now. Got my first soaps from GMS from Mom and Dad, found them on facebook and ordered my own. I love their videos about goats, puppies and general farm life.
__________________
“There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.” - Albert Einstein
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.