Cost of living in your country (the basics)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thank you all!!!! Looks like Africa's not so cheap anymore, I'm surprised to see that some thing actually cost more in SA than America!
Problem is our incomes stay the same and prices go up, South Africa is slowly but surely turning into a second Zimbabwe :(
Things have really changed over the past 10-15 years. Unbelievable!

Thank you all!!!! Looks like Africa's not so cheap anymore, I'm surprised to see that some thing actually cost more in SA than America!
Problem is our incomes stay the same and prices go up, South Africa is slowly but surely turning into a second Zimbabwe :(
Things have really changed over the past 10-15 years. Unbelievable!

Prices are going up here and we sometimes forget how fortunate we are. Americans are the only people on earth that complain with their mouths full.

Note on Wegman's prices: Even between Wegman's there can be a price difference. For instance, the one in Geneva is substantially less that the one in Ithaca. Just a thought. Also, Wegman's has everything a cook could ever want. Foodie heaven.

I noticed the price difference from one Wegmans store to another in my area. I asked a cashier at the lower priced store and she told me that Wegmans made a deal with the state to offer lower prices on basic items in stores located in certain census tracts that were considered low income. I am not sure what they get in return but, I am sure it is more than a warm fuzzy feeling.
I used to think Wegmans was expensive but, if you stick with the basics and shop the specials you can do pretty well without driving all over town.

Prices are going up here and we sometimes forget how fortunate we are. Americans are the only people on earth that complain with their mouths full.

Lol! Are Americans really that bad?
It's really scary thinking about where the world is heading sometimes. I just hope my children won't have to deal with poverty when they grow up. I've managed to keep them fed and clothed and they have what they need but it gets harder to even do that as time goes by. Better make sure I keep the life insurance policies up to date.

Links to the three most popular grocery stores in my area:

Winn-Dixie

Food Lion

Publix

Winn-Dixie is my favorite. Their prices seem to be the lowest over-all.

Living on the coast is handy for fish. I can go to the afternoon fishing docks when the boats come in, and they'll sell any of their catch for a dollar a pound, uncleaned. That's right out of the water almost. Some are still flinching.

It's sushi time! Ha! :pig::chef:

Here's this week's ad from my local supermarket I regularly shop at:

Vons

Items on special I'm buying tonight:
Tri-tip...$2.97/lb
Whole Chicken....97 cents/lb

vons is where i shop also. the one that really bugs me is bread for 3.50 to 5.00 dollars. now they have cheaper but is just awful. i would rather have none at all that buy what they call basic. small slices and no taste. :mad:

vons is where i shop also. the one that really bugs me is bread for 3.50 to 5.00 dollars. now they have cheaper but is just awful. i would rather have none at all that buy what they call basic. small slices and no taste. :mad:
The only bread I buy at supermarkets are burger and hot dog buns. In fact, I only pick up sale items at supermarkets, at either Vons or Ralphs.....mostly meats on sale.
I buy most all produce at my local Asian market.....about 1/2 what supermarkets charge.
I go to Trader Joe's for other breads, cheeses, wine, etc...
My wife regularly stops off at the 99 cent store for packaged produce.

Bermuda trades equal to the Dollar, not linked to the Sterling.

Ground beef, fresh, can go for $11 p/lb.

Buy frozen everything protein wise. Though, fresh seafood, and lamb is cheap and plentiful.

Bermuda trades equal to the Dollar, not linked to the Sterling.

Ground beef, fresh, can go for $11 p/lb.

Buy frozen everything protein wise. Though, fresh seafood, and lamb is cheap and plentiful.

Are vegetable and seasoning prices at the same comparative levels as the beef or less expensive?

Are vegetable and seasoning prices at the same comparative levels as the beef or less expensive?

A lot of local gardening is done, and produce has come light years from what it was, but some of it gets pretty beat up in transit. . .it can be a little hit or miss. Restaurants get great/consistent product though, lol. Seasonings and such is same as here on the states really.

Back
Top Bottom