Cost of living in your country (the basics)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Snip 13

Master Chef
Just out of curiosity since we all live in different parts of the world I thought it might be interesting to compare the prices of basic food stuffs.

I'll go first just to give everyone and idea of where I'm going with this.

1 USD = 6.77 Pula

A loaf of bread - P6
Milk per carton or per liter -P12
Tomatoes per pound - P10
Potatoes per pound - P5
Onions per pound - P5
Beef mince per pound -P60
Beef Tenderloin per pound - P110
Chicken per pound - P40
Cheese (gouda or cheddar) per pound - P45
Rice per pound - P7

It kinda varies across the US. Different states have different sales tax laws, some places pay a premium on items because they are more remote and therefore have higher shipping costs, some places have limited grocers available, others have large discount stores and some places everything just seems to be more expensive. My husband and I noticed when we took a trip down state that even basics like bread and milk were up to a dollar cheeper down there. We checked the prices at their Walmart vs the prices at our Walmart and were really surprised. And that's just Walmart. There were other grocery stores that had stuff for just a little cheaper than Walmart. On the other hand, we've been to places that were more remote than us and had no chain stores and prices were up by a dollar or more sometimes for the same items.

I was just trying to get an average cost not exact. To compare with South Africa and Botswana. Just what you pay personally.

Last edited:
Wegmans Weekly Savings

Try this it will take you directly to the flyer. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Thank you Aunt Bea :) No need to apologize!
Prices are lower than I thought, I might not have to starve if I ever go on holiday there :LOL:
Our prices are sky high compared to the minimum wage in South Africa and Botswana.
To give you an example: The minimum wage in Botswana is P1000 per month. My monthly big grocery shop without daily milk, bread and fruit and veg that runs out is about P3500. The average rent for a 2 bedroom house in a middle class area is P5000 to P7000 per month.
I don't buy luxuries when I do my monthly shop either. I don't know how some people manage here, we live month to month and we have an income higher than 10 times the minimum wage.

I found some prices on current specials at my Supermarket. It's for South Africa so it's a bit cheaper than Botswana since most of Botswana's food gets imported from SA.
Darn I wish I was back home :( I miss South Africa!!!!!!

Pick 'n Pay

...Items on special I'm buying tonight: Tri-tip...$2.97/lb...

This is criminal. I was just at Costco and saw prepackaged marinated tri-tip in a vacuum sealed bag. It was in a 12% solution of marinade and tenderizers. $5.97 per pound!

I see that, but the ones they always put on sale at such low prices are the select grade. I'm sure Costco's are choice.

This was not a Costco product - Kirkland Signature). It was a pre-packaged brand name. I think it was Coleman's. I don't know the grade but I resent having to pay inflated tri-tip prices for 12% liquids.

Note on Wegman's prices: Even between Wegman's there can be a price difference. For instance, the one in Geneva is substantially less that the one in Ithaca. Just a thought. Also, Wegman's has everything a cook could ever want. Foodie heaven.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom