Country Music

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Country Music - where do you fit in? (tell us why!)

• Love It!

Votes: 28 49.1%
  • Hate It!

Votes: 12 21.1%
  • Tolerate It!

Votes: 17 29.8%

• Total voters

BigDog

Head Chef
I have come to find that for country music, people either love it or hate it. Which are you, and why? Why answers ought to include more then the stunning good looks of various artists; I can't imagine anyone likes a style of music simply because one (or more) of the artists of that genre are hot (though I can see that as being part!).

Me? I love country music. Why? Aside from the fabulously gorgeous women involved, Trace Adkins about sums it up for me in one of his recent hits.

originally sung by Trace Adkins​

(Cuz they're) songs about me and who I am!

Songs about loving and living and good hearted women and family and God!

Yeah they're all just songs about me; songs about me.​

Grew up with it, around it, and loved playing it. Today, for me, it has morphed into something I mostly tolerate. I still respect the talent of some of the "stars", but not all!

Well, I wouldn't mention C&W as one of my favourite categories of music, but I wouldn't say I absolutely hate it, either. There are indeed some individual songs I find rather nice. This is my stance with most of the genre that I don't listen to regularly. I don't shun any style of music just because it is country, metal, jazz, bubblegum pop or whatever. :cool:

Of the three choices, I had to go with 'Love It'. To me, Country Music has many layers and styles. I grew up listening to traditional country and western music because that's what my parents listened to, and I grew to hate the twang and the plodding, often depressing lyrics. Over time, country music has changed. I credit (others may 'blame') Garth Brooks for this in the 1990s. Today's country has some elements of traditional country, but it is really wide open. Some I hate, which helps me understand why many CAN hate country music with a broad stroke... but there is a lot that I really enjoy, and I like discovering all the sub-genre stuff like in the alternative country areas. A lot of the mainstream country music today is BARELY country so, for that reason, I don't fully understand how someone could say they hate it all. I think that's pretty closed-minded.

I think for me it liking it has to do with the singability of most of the songs and you can generally understand the words without looking at a lyric sheet! Also they tend to be less profane than some of the pop stars today. I also have to admit that I enjoy a wide range of music and country is only a portion of what I listen to on a daily basis. There's also contemporary Christian, Classical, oldies, folk, Big Band. About the only thing I really shun is rap though some of it has a good beat, I don't like the gansta attitude. Dealt with it too much in the high school!

i'm somewhere between tolerating it and hating it.
i don't have an ol' dog, and my wife hasn't run away (yet :cool:). i do have a truck, but it starts every time and runs well.

so country music ain't much about me.

not my cup of tea at all, but there are probably a few songs that classify as country that I find perfectly listenable.

I'm a classical music guy, who grew up with Beethoven and the Beatles.

Country Music really isn't just lot of crazy sounds and words. Being in love with Bee Gees,(not country,) Chuck Berry, Elvis, Tina, Cher, Country Music has surely come to the top of my list recently. Who can deny Toby Keith, Willie Nelson, Trace Atkins, etc could go on and on but their music actually tells some kind of story. Similar to incidents that happen in my life. i do not like repetitive words in song, especially over and over and over. Dolly Parton, Johnny Cash, Loretta Lynn, love them all.

Whenever I am driving in traffic, with all the cell phones, speeders, finger messages, I just turn the radio a little higher and block them all out. Isn't until I stop that someone next to me turns their speakers higher to let me know what they like. Free country! I at least can show my preference. Oh, I work out to country music too.

Thanks for asking. Music becoming more a part of my life than before if possible.

Occasionally a CM song will come by that I like or can tolerate, more often than not, I can't stand it.

However.....

I do like older country music like Don Williams, Anne Murray, Loretta Lynn... stuff my mom and dad made me listen to as a kid.

Hmmm, country music....
There was a stretch in the nineties when that's all I listened to. I think because I used to drive a lot and it helped keep me alert because you could actually understand the words. Excuse my spelling, but Travis Tritt, Marty Stuart, Linda Lovelace, Lori Morgan, Dwight Yoakum... and groups like Diamond Rio, Pirates of the Mississippi, Kentucky Headhunters (you might like those last two BT ;)).... I liked everything that came out in the nineties. And of course George Straight.

I don't listen to much music anymore, but wouldn't care if country was being played, even though it's gone through another change.

There were no qualified choices, so I had to go with Hate It. In general, I don't care for the twang, many of the lyrics, most of the performers.

OTOH, I love Johnny Cash, Roy Orbison, Patsy Cline, KD Lang, some of the Dixie Chicks (that's "modern country" right?) but mostly, no. not my favorite genre of music at all.

I prefer Jazz, R&B, Classical, Cabaret, Show Tunes, even Marching Band music.... just my taste.

Love it Love it!

I was a big fan on silly long-haired rocker bands in the eighties and early 90's...
Once they went away and grunge (or whatever else is around now) showed up, I had nowhere else to go but country.

I do listen to alot of everything else to..... just not rap, or scary guys with white face paint that scream alot....

Actually, the poll needed another option--like it. I don't hate it or love it, but it's alright. "Tolerate" means you would never choose to listen to it. But I sometimes do choose to listen to it. I just don't have it pre-set on my radio. I loooove jazz fusion.

I have grown to love the current "mainstream" country music. "Country pop", if you will.

About 8 years ago, a loved one asked me to give the country radio station a chance, and I was reluctant, thinking about the twang in voice and music of earlier people like Patsy Cline and Tammy Wynette. But when I started listening, I realized that today's country music, lyrics and voices, are (for the most part) what I like! And what I sing along with!

Country music has many generations and styles - it's funny that some of you who say you don't like country except for "so and so", named people I can't stand to listen to, yet I say I love country!

Beats most of the current alternatives, and I get tired of listening to "oldies".

Lee

I like some of the old classic stuff, Chet Atkins, Patsy Cline, et al. Not that I go out of my way to listen to it.

The current version of country pop does nothing for me. But then contemporary pop does nothing for me either.

No hate, just indifference.

Quite a bit of country is going mainstream now. If you listen to the general "pop" music, you have heard Rascal Flatts, Taylor Swift, Keith Urban and quite a few others too.

I am a country fan, along with Southern Rock, quite a bit of R&B, pop, classics; quite
an eclectic mix!

I love country music. Although I hate what it's become...there's too much pop mixed in nowadays. Which is ironic because I went to country after all the pop radio stations went to hip-hop/rap/R&B. I mostly listen to the musicians I heard growing up like Alan Jackson, Mark Chesnutt and Tracy Byrd. I also like the Dixie Chicks. And bluegrass. I actually play a little banjo and guitar. :)

Wow. This has been an interesting read. It always seems to me with people I talk to it's a love it or hate it relationship, which is why I asked here. You're disproving my hypothesis! LOL.

Country has gone through some major changes over the years. I'm not overly into the real old stuff (I started listening in the 80s as a kid) but the sound of Reba, Kenny Rogers, Dolly, Tanya Tucker, Lori Morgan, and the groups mentioned like Diamond Rio, Oak Ridge Boys (not previously mentioned), and others is far different from the sound of today from Keith Urban, Brad Paisley, Trace Adkins, Josh Turner, Taylor Swift, Carrie Underwood, and the groups Brooks and Dunn, Little Big Town, Sugarland, and Rascal Flatts.

Pretty much if it came from the 80s on, with a bit from the late 70s, I love it. Though mentioning Kenny Rogers, I prefer his earlier stuff to his newer stuff. Particularly the look; I think if he went on stage under bright lights, he might melt from how much plastic he's had done. I think it's a shame because IMHO his career was built on his rugged, mountain man look.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom