CSAs (not sure that is the acronym)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CWS4322

Chef Extraordinaire
I live in Ontario and don't need produce, etc., from a local farmer--I live on a farm. But, I was wondering how one finds a CSA (is that what it is called--where you get stuff delivered/or you pick up at a local farm)? My brother and I are thinking that would be something helpful for our parents in northern MN. Thanks!

The one in our area seems to be a bit of a tax dodge, relying on an educational status that emphasizes social activities such as poetry, singing and dancing. We're currently a shareholder but despite the fact that they're already selling veggies (at exorbitant prices) to the general public, they will not be distributing veggies to shareholders until the second half of June.

Last edited:
Yes. You generally have to pre-pay for a share or partial share and then you get what they put in your box.

There are quite a few around here and are very popular. There are both meat and produce CSAs. Some better than others. I don't think any if them deliver.

A quick google search will likely shed light on whether it's an option for your parents.

As much as I like the idea, the issue would be too much produce and no knowledge of what to do with it. There are also dietary restrictions...

As much as I like the idea, the issue would be too much produce and no knowledge of what to do with it. There are also dietary restrictions...

They give you what's fresh and in season (obviously) and I don't know if they can address dietary restrictions, as that seems like it would complicate things a lot for them, but you could always ask.

I don't do it because they give you basically what I already grown in my garden.

My parents don't have a garden any more, so we were trying to think of ways to introduce more fresh (and local) produce into their diets...

We have a farmers' market every summer in the center of town. I found others by googleing, "farmers markets near xxxx" giving the name of my town.

There is a farmer's market. When I'm there, I go about 3x / week to buy fresh produce for the meals I prepare. I thought if the CSA delivered, it would make it easier for them. My brother and I were going to give this to them as a gift...

I just got back from the big farmers market right across the street from my office!

Mostly green onions and garlic, radishes, lettuces and other greens and plants. I don't think the CSAs have started yet.

Finally found the stand that sells scotch bonnet pepper plants amid the crowds.

Back
Top Bottom