Culinary gifts this year

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

buckytom

Chef Extraordinaire
What cooking related gifts are you giving or hoping for this year?

So far, DW is getting a toaster oven, earthenware bowls for bibimbap, a gross of bamboo chopsticks (since we always seem to run out), and my boy is getting Japanese tea mugs since he loves green so much.

What is Santa (or Hannukah Harry) bringing you and/or yours this holiday season?

For Christmas gifts, I made Dijon-style mustard and then made honey mustard with honey from our backyard beehives and jalapeño mustard with peppers from our garden. I put one 4-oz. jar of each in decorative boxes from the dollar store and DH mailed them off.

all year long as I was updating my herb/spice cabinet, I bought good quality bulk sizes, then repackaged to fit my rack, and 2x3 and 3x4 inch zip lock bags, labeled to give as gifts. I ended up with a dozen new spices and then the herbs I grew and dried. And seeds I collect for gardening for next year. I put these in small wood boxes and made quite a collection. I sent off a few collections to my grown son that lives far away. I think he'll be happy with them. I hope he likes the spices more than the cute wood boxes, but you just never know.

I try to give a useful culinary gift to each of my daughters even year. This year they're getting Cuisinart mini food processors.

We are buying ourselves, with my xmas bonus, a single, induction burner and a fondue set with multiple bowls. :)

Are you going to receive those chicken sneakers?
Yup. Those are from my brother--I took the money out of his estate. Technically, as Trustee I am allowed $25/hour. So my brother bought me those--he hated that I coloured my hair purple and never understood my fixation with chickens. I haven't been keeping track of the hours. Everything goes to my Mom and Dad. As long as my Dad is good with how I spend the money (airline tickets, storage costs, etc.), we are good. The money will go to help care for my Mom. That is what my brother would have wanted.

I got a food processor from Mr right, I know Mr Perfect will give me kitchen stuff because when he was out shopping our jeweler was down with the flu and we dont buy from any one else and he always give jewelry or kitchen stuff.

We giving away chocolate , plastic bags ( they wanted that type and asked me to buy it, when ever I got to that store, which doesnt happen often), liquorice ( proper stuff made with liquorice root) and some sandwich stuff ( insider joke, it will bring laughter) and 1 liter of milk ( also inside joke, got farm fresh milk ).

Yup. Those are from my brother--I took the money out of his estate. Technically, as Trustee I am allowed $25/hour. So my brother bought me those--he hated that I coloured my hair purple and never understood my fixation with chickens. I haven't been keeping track of the hours. Everything goes to my Mom and Dad. As long as my Dad is good with how I spend the money (airline tickets, storage costs, etc.), we are good. The money will go to help care for my Mom. That is what my brother would have wanted.

I understand completely. When I lost my daughter, she had a very large settlement coming from an automobile accident. So I asked the lawyer to ask the court to name me executrix of the estate. The court gave me a booklet explaining the rules and my responsibilities. Since three of her children were already in the process of being adopted, I did not have to include them in the final settlement. But I did. I felt it was only right and what my daughter would have wanted. I explained to the adopting parents that the money was to be deposited into a trust fund and could only be used for their education costs or extreme medical needs. The same day they got the checks, they cashed them and the kids never say a cent. I should have brought them to court over it. But I let it go. Only one parent lived by the instructions. She sent the child she adopted to an expensive private school.

We'd buy these anyway, but got 1/8 of a wheel of Parm Reg for $6.39/lb anda big bar of gruyere for $9.25/lb. Plus we got a bag of 100 little necks, used some for the paella. Rest will be for clam pasta next week. They have all been steamed picked and frozen in steaming liquid. Oh, it was $18 for the bag. Cheapest elsewhere was $10 for 50. Bless Restaurant Depot.

Bought gf a Phillips pasta machine...she loves pasta so I figured she would like this...
Z

Attachments

• HR2357_05-IMS-en_CA.jpg
    HR2357_05-IMS-en_CA.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:
As it turns out, I am giving mostly food for gifts. Step children received cookies, canned green chiles and apple pie filling. One sister gets canned green chiles and recipes for dishes she raved about. Other sis gets a canner load of turkey stock. She was here last week when I was complaining that I did not have room in the pantry for the stock, when she lit up! She is giving me the best granola I have ever eaten, from a recipe she has developed.

I got a waffle bowl machine! Woho I can make waffle bowls that I can eat again.
Oh and my husband got me a marble rolling pin!! Oh and my daughter gave me expensive chocolate... it was horrible, no chocolate flavour only fat..

Does beer count? I'm giving my brother's and daughter's BF each an 8 pack of assorted craft beers. My youngest brother is getting a big ol' rack of beef ribs I cut off of a prime rib yesterday. We are also giving one of my daughters a set of baking dishes. My other brother and sister are getting a box of assorted goodies from the deli. Stuffed olives, smoked sausage, mustard, pate, etc.....

My daughter is spending xmas with her mother(my ex wife), so I made them up a box...a small prime rib roast, some assorted deli salads, Borsin cheese, smoked sausage, pickled peppers, and a tin of assorted squares and baked goodies that gf made up...

Last edited:
I made everyone in TB's family a tradition from mine, Cheese Straws. They are basically just little strips of cheesy pastry that are not uncommon. However, this "family secret" recipe has an extra kick to it. Everyone raves about them and I haven't made them in years. We have stopped drawing names for gifts so I just decided to give everyone a little thank you gift for being my family! :)

I got homemade wontons from my good friend. That's the best culinary gift I could ever get!

Last edited:
Does beer count? ..

Is the Pope Catholic?
Your gifts sound great, Rock.

I made everyone in TB's family a tradition from mine, Cheese Straws. They are basically just little strips of cheesy pastry that are not uncommon. However, this "family secret" recipe has an extra kick to it. Everyone raves about them and I haven't made them in years. We have stopped drawing names for gifts so I just decided to give everyone a little thank you gift for being my family! :)

I got homemade wontons from my good friend. That's the best culinary gift I could ever get!

Any chance we can get the recipe (plus secrets) for the cheese straws, Lyd?

Last edited:
Lol. Me too.

DW ended up with the Breville mini toaster oven, an OXO food mill, 2 large earthenware bibimbap bowls, Godiva chocolate pretzels, a bamboo steamer stack, and boricha tea bags (roasted barley tea).

My boy is getting some neat Japanese style tea cups, and n assortment of various furikake.

I'm hoping to get a Stihl Ms271 Farm Boss chainsaw with a 20" bar.

Yeah, it's culinary. We make s'mores in the fire pit, and the wood ain't cutting itself.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom