Cultural Differences

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Another custom which a lot of people are familiar with is eating with your fingers. Also we eat using right hand. That's the appropriate custom. No one uses two hands or left unless they are a kid or left handed.
I worked with a guy from Eretria (Ethiopia), where they also eat with their hand. I asked what you do if you're left handed and he said that "if you are left handed, you are not left handed."

In Quebec, instead of greeting someone with a hug and a kiss, you kiss them on both cheeks.

When I visit Maryland or Virginia, I am always called "Miss Loprraine". Either they are very polite, or I am very old.

We do this, too. My 5 year old calls all my friends Mr. or Miss and every adult he meets at the grocery store or in a restaurant or the lady who cuts his hair!

It's the same in Virginia. Miss Kim is one thing - but I will never forget the time my neighbor's daughter first called DH Mr. Dan. I thought that was the funniest thing! Of course, we grew up in Michigan, so were not really familiar with this custom.

And I always refer to anyone older than me as Ma'am or Sir as well. In the south, it's just good manners.

I still can't get used to this one and we moved here in 1985.

In Quebec, instead of greeting someone with a hug and a kiss, you kiss them on both cheeks.

When I visit Maryland or Virginia, I am always called "Miss Loprraine". Either they are very polite, or I am very old.
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: I love that! Actually, the first time I got Ma'am ed, I was really shocked. I never thought of myself as old enough to merit a Ma'am. But I was always called Miss Terry from the time I started babysitting for other people's kids as a teenager.

I still can't get used to this one and we moved here in 1985.
It's true that lots of people don't like being referred to as Sir or Ma'am - even some southerners. What they usually say is: Oh, you must be referring to my father (or mother)! Then I try really hard to remember not to Sir or Ma'am them.

I have a friend who is from China. He told me in China they don't eat food with their hands. If your sitting at a table and someone touches the food with their hands, everyone at the table will get up and leave. I didn't ask him if the food was on your own plate would touching it be ok or not. I guess if its in a serving bowl that everyone gets food from its a definite no no.

Wow, what great responses. I knew my DC friends wouldn't let me down. My assignment now will consist of pick out 3 and translating them to ASL. That won't be as much fun as reading all your responses. Thanks!

When growing up we were always taught to respect our elders as well. However if we ever called someone Mr. or Mrs. we would inevitably get the following response...

"My mother is Mrs. Jones. You can call me Ann. Just how old do you think I am?"

OK, at this point, I forget who asked if it is all over Canada that the custom of removing your shoes is prevalent. I can't speak for every household (Thanks Loprraine for your comment BTW) Canada is a BIG place. I can say that every home I have visited here has the same custom except for those folks that have lived in the US.

GotGarlic, I get you with the cold floor thing, but its not really an issue inside. Do they heat with something other than natural gas where you were from maybe? The floors usually stay pretty warm inside even when its 50 freezies outside here. We have hardwood and tile throughout the main part of the house and I am barefoot all year round.

OK, and just to be contradictory, in the summer, I go barefoot outside and in...therefore tracking all kinds of crap in during the summer. Go figure.

Good thing you didn't ask about the reasoning behind the custom because I sure couldn't answer you on that one. You should check out the thread on chopsticks for customs too. There are some good ones in that thread.

Oh, and my kids both use an honorific in front of an adults first name. Rather than calling their best friends Mom Mrs ____, its Miss Maryanne etc. Its a way of preserving a respectful distance and yet acknowledging their closer relationship.

When I was a kid my father would knock my head into next week If I addressed any body older than me by there first names it was allways Mr-------. Mam---- Miss------
and today it is still Mam,Mr, Miss Mrs. It has done me well

In the US the traditional color to wear when mourning someones death is Black. In some other countries (Korea for one I believe) white is what is worn for mourning.
In an art class I took in college we had to do a group presentation about color. Almost everyone started talking about the most boring sounding presentations, but I never liked writing on the same topics or doing a carbon copy of someone else's presentation, so I suggested something else to my group. Our presentation was about the colors of weddings and funerals all over the world. My group looked at me a little weird at first, but they all ended up getting into the topic. :cool:

:) Barbara

Last edited:
Wedding tradition in Kazakhstan---to decorate the outside of the newlywed's car with ribbons & flowers and accompanied by close friends and family caravan and visit several important monuments in the area, take photos, and leave some flowers as a tribute

Birthday tradition in K---you bring your own cake to celebrate with others

I just noticed the posts on shoes----here in K.(where winter temps. can get to -40) the apartments are very small but they usually have large entranceways (even have a special name for it) and everyone is expected to take off their shoes, boots in this room. That way all the dirt, mud, sludge, etc. is confined to one place. Most places have extra warm slippers to provide for their guests to wear while inside. Workmen and others just remove their shoes. I have lived here going on 3 years and have yet to pick up "anything". :) Even at the school where I volunteer, the children have both "indoor" and "outdoor" shoes.

:)As long as I have 3 dogs and 2 cats running in and out of the house the taking off the shoes is not gonna happpen.As much as I try to keep the floors clean the dogs have this amazing ability to find the smallest mud hole and drag it into the house.:LOL: Thats OK I love them anyway.

In our culture (Indian) a man and a woman generally never touch each other if they are not family members. They only touch the feet of the older person with hand (pranam).

I do, however, have some “tree-hugging Wiccan” friends (THEY call themselves that, not me!!) that do this. I think it’s cool, but his wife keeps such a high polish on her hard wood floors, that I’ve come close (more than once!) to killing myself whilst walking sock-footed across those near glass-like surfaces!

They picked up the idea when they lived in China and just kept doing it once they moved back here. Didn’t know it was the norm in other parts of the world too.

time to practice your moon walk, or your tom cruise/"risky business" imitation.
umm, but keep your pants on. don't wiccans worship a full moon?
ok, well, nevermind.

alix, the "shoes off" thing must be traditional to many snowy countries, besides asian ones. my mom is from norway, and we had the same rule. i feel kinda funny walking around in my shoes in someone's house, actually.

you'd think the same would be true in arrid countries, because of all of the dust and dirt. think of the tradition of foot washing on holy thursday.

In India there is no touching, kissing, hugging or hand holding. Went with my bf to see his parents in India. I believe I was able to put my arm through his though (i guess this constitutes as touching...ooo wah! ) hehehehe :):)

In Australia, you see people "smooching" in public and no one cares

I like people to keep their shoes on inside :) My parents have tiles through their house and make sure people leave shoes on, i unfortunately have carpet and insist on shoes as well.

Tips at restaurants are not Mandatory

When I was sent to Korea while I was in the Army there were a couple things that were a shock to us. The biggest thing was seeing young men walking withe there arms around eachother or "arm in arm". You expect girls to do this but not guys. It took a while getting used to especially for the male soldiers.

Another thing was when you went out shopping you always bartered. At first I was kinda shy about it, but then it got fun.

BT, I agree, I think it has to do with all the snow and crud being tracked through the house.

jpmcgrew, I have pets too, and we train our dogs to sit just inside the door when they come in and we wipe their feet, or dig the snow balls out of their fuzzy feet. If they won't tolerate that then they have to sit on a big mat til they clean their own feet. LOL. Somewhat time consuming, but it works for me.

We have hosted exchange students from several European countries, and in Germany and Denmark, at least, people greet each other with a kiss on both cheeks.

you don't usually do that in G... I know this from France and Switzerland, but not from Germany..

I must admit, I don't know, what's so special about german culture, 'cause I grew up with it and so it's just normal to me..

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom