Cyber holiday shopping...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kayelle

Chef Extraordinaire
So who's shopping today? Since today is Cyber Monday, with some really great deals, I've been letting my fingers do the walking. All of my kids and grands are adults, and they get money gifts, but my new little year old grandbaby is being shopped for this year. Wooo Hoo....there's nothing like Christmas with a little one! So far, I've bought her four new outfits and a bunch of toys. It's great to not have to go out there to shop, and free shipping today!

So are you cyber shopping?

I'm awaiting guidance from my sister-in-law. I have no idea what to get for my youngest niece and nephew. Two birthdays and two Christmas events. They have almost everything, don't really want more toys, their daddy works for a shopping network and gets a big discount, along with his family living in a big metro area. It may just be gift certificates!

No Black Friday or Cyber Monday shopping for me. I was done with all our shopping by the middle of October. Aside from that, I actively dislike shopping in any way, shape or form. I'm not even too crazy about grocery shopping.

For most of my life, a large portion of what I/we give family and friends are gifts that we made. Sometimes it's a handmade item or a food gift. Now that all of the children are grown and have growing families of their own, they get money. The grandchildren are getting older, too, and are out of the toys stage, so money appears to be their gift of choice. One of the granddaughters (She'll be 11 on Friday.) is already saving for her first car.

It doesn't seem to matter how tempting the advertisers try to make it, I just don't bite.

Well Saturday I bought myself a new laptop online does that count :LOL:

My laptop is 7 years old and is on its last leg, it's been a faithful machine, but it's time to move on.

I have yet to buy anything for anyone else. Tomorrow there is a planned power outage between 9-2 so a perfect day to go out shopping. I'll be looking for a new dinnerware set for mom, for her new house. She always admires my stuff and really likes my taste so this will be perfect. I told her not to buy cookware (she loves mine) that I would get her a set for her birthday, about the time her house is built.

Well, Kayelle, you gave me the push I needed. Got a National Geographic catalog today, and remembered that I'd also saved a CyberMonday email from Nat Geo offering free shipping! So I saved in shipping and got the kids some cool scientific stuff that will hopefully meet with SIL's approval.

I couldn't see the rain gauge you ordered, Kay...the link was down.

We're going minimalist this year as far as Christmas shopping. It was both of my daughters' ideas, actually. They are done with toys and hours of online shopping, and are more into family gatherings and events, with just a few presents to unwrap under the tree. :)

I have 6 grandkids ages 1-13, and this year I'm making all of them big, soft, fleece no-sew blankets that aren't cartoon character oriented. I went to the fabric store today and found some nice plaids, some camo for the younger boys, and fave color patterns for the older girls, with color coordinated backing, that they won't outgrow. They'll each get comfy warm new pajamas, and age appropriate books. And we'll make cookies, decorate trees, go to special places, eat, and have fun! :)

Last edited:
Cheryl, what a great idea! They'll treasure those snuggly blankets and memories.

Love the rain gauge, Kay! And so glad you've got something to put in it!

Last edited:
Thanks, Dawg and Kay. :) I have homemade quilts from my grandmas and treasure them, but they aren't practical for every day use. No-sew blankies will have to do and hopefully the grands will have them for a long time. :) A friend made some for her kids years ago, and they seem to wash and wear and hold up really nice.

I need to get started....kinda scary to be honest, I'm not a very crafty person. :LOL:

Last edited:
I couldn't see the rain gauge you ordered, Kay...the link was down.

We're going minimalist this year as far as Christmas shopping. It was both of my daughters' ideas, actually. They are done with toys and hours of online shopping, and are more into family gatherings and events, with just a few presents to unwrap under the tree. :)

I have 6 grandkids ages 1-13, and this year I'm making all of them big, soft, fleece no-sew blankets that aren't cartoon character oriented. I went to the fabric store today and found some nice plaids, some camo for the younger boys, and fave color patterns for the older girls, with color coordinated backing, that they won't outgrow. They'll each get comfy warm new pajamas, and age appropriate books. And we'll make cookies, decorate trees, go to special places, eat, and have fun! :)

My most treasured gift from my Nana was the year she made quilts for all of the grandchildren, I remember all of us sitting around the living room on Christmas eve wrapped up. We even wrapped up on the way home!

I have so many things in transit right now that it should be a steady flow of deliveries for the next week :LOL:

Of course my new laptop was shipped 2 day priority, and today is day 5, it's scheduled for tomorrow which will be day 6, gee thanks for charging for a service that you can't really perform!

I too am waiting for UPS. He will be making a few trips to my door today also. I ordered myself some new slippers. Right now I have the open back ones and I keep walking right out of them. So I got some with a Velcro crossing and a high back. I have my four new nightgowns. But I do have to hem them all. Stitch Witchery to the rescue! I also ordered The Joy of Cooking for my grandson and his fiancé. I am still feeling bad about ruining their dinner.

Now I have to help The Pirate with his cyber buying for his grandkids. :angel:

We went all lazy this year.Bought online small items.Token garage sale fodder.Were all too busy with the house and work schedules this year.Keeping the holidays simple and low keyed.

I was going to buy a few hand boilers on Amazon.The reviews weren't that favorable.Guess they aren't as well made now as they were when I was a kid.
I did buy a few of these.Odd novelty things.They look pretty cool.
They should keep the kids that I bought them for entertained for a while.

Amazon.com - Creative Motion Supernova Color Changing Sphere - Lava Lamp

Still have to find something for the Newlyweds.

My most treasured gift from my Nana was the year she made quilts for all of the grandchildren, I remember all of us sitting around the living room on Christmas eve wrapped up. We even wrapped up on the way home!

Love that....those are the memories I'm hoping to make! :wub:

Back
Top Bottom