Dana Reeve

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marmalady

Executive Chef
We've lost another soldier in the fight to cure paralysis. My heart is so heavy. She was a truly remarkable woman, and an inspiration for all of us who are family members of a person with spinal cord injury.

Christopher Reeve Foundation Mourns the Passing of Dana Reeve

(Short Hills, NJ, March 7, 2006) – Dana Reeve, Chair of the Christopher Reeve Foundation (CRF) and founder of the Christopher and Dana Reeve Paralysis Resource Center, passed away last night at the age of 44. The cause was lung cancer. Kathy Lewis, President and CEO of CRF, issued the following statement.

“On behalf of the entire Board of Directors and staff of the Christopher Reeve Foundation, we are extremely saddened by the death of Dana Reeve, whose grace and courage under the most difficult of circumstances was a source of comfort and inspiration to all of us. The Foundation extends our deepest condolences and sympathy to the entire Reeve and Morosini families.

“Dana will always be remembered for her passion, strength and ceaseless courage that became her hallmark. Along with her husband Christopher, she faced adversity with grace and determination, bringing hope to millions around the world.

“In addition to being a wonderful mother, actress, singer, author, motivational speaker and advocate, she was a founding board member of the Christopher Reeve Foundation and succeeded her late husband, Christopher Reeve, as chair in 2004. Ms. Reeve established the Foundation’s Quality of Life initiatives: the Quality of Life grants program and the Christopher & Dana Reeve Paralysis Resource Center. Since its inception in 1999, the Quality of Life grants program has awarded more than $8 million to support programs and projects that improve the daily lives of people living with paralysis.”

"After Christopher's death, Dana was determined to preserve the important work and the legacy of hope that became his life's mission. Even in our grief, the Foundation must pick up and continue to Go Forward with this mission. At the same time, we commit ourselves to ensuring that the light of grace, courage and hopefulness that Dana embodied continues to shine bright - bringing comfort and hope to people living with paralysis and their families and caregivers.

“Dana’s courage and conviction leave us all with an abiding faith in every person’s ability to make an important difference. We GO FORWARD because it is the responsibility of everyone touched by this remarkable woman to carry on the work of the Foundation.”

Ms. Reeve also served on the boards of The Williamstown Theatre Festival, The Shakespeare Theatre of New Jersey, TechHealth, and The Reeve-Irvine Center for Spinal Cord Research and as an advisory board member to the National Family Caregivers Association.

She received numerous awards for her work, most notably the Shining Example Award from Proctor & Gamble in 1998, an American Image Award from the AAFA in 2003, and, the American Cancer Society named her Mother of the Year in 2005. Her book, Care Packages, was published by Random House.

Reeve is survived by her father, Dr. Charles Morosini, sisters Deborah Morosini and Adrienne Morosini Heilman, her son Will and two stepchildren, Matthew and Alexandra. The family has requested privacy during this difficult time.
At this time, no plans for a funeral have been announced. For those who care to do so, donations may be made in Dana’s memory to the Christopher Reeve Foundation, 636 Morris Turnpike, Short Hills, New Jersey 07078 or online at www.ChristopherReeve.org

user_offline.gif

How very sad!! She did what most people couldn't or just wouldn't do. She stood by him when their whole life shattered and then turned it around and made the best that they could. I don't know that he would have lived as long as he did without her fighting with him!! Christopher had one heck of a wife!!!!!
She will be remembered always of being so strong and such a big advocate of this disability!! May she rest in peace. She is now back with her loving husband who can now walk again with her by his side!!

Remember Superman, Christopher Reeve and his battle with paralysis? How he had to struggle everyday? What I admired so much was that his wife was so constant at his side and how she loved him. Now I just found out that his wife, Dana, passed away in her battle with lung cancer? This gives me such heartache. Guess one has to experience the problem before they can realize how deep it hurts. My cousin was in such a battle. He was suffering with inherited paralysis and his wife was always at his side. The circumstance just consumed you when you would get a chance to visit. When you see the love that is shown to another human being causes one to become so humble. My cousin lost his battle on February 14. I am not one to share this family's pain. My aunt, his mother, also was crippled with the disease. How it can grab hold of someone so vital and bring them to their knees. Mr Reeve was from a accident but the conditions were so similar. Makes one so aware of the present life you have and be thankful for the breath you take without assistance.

My sympathy goes to the children and her family. The way these people can always smile when bearing such grief. It was t hat way with my cousin too. Never will forget that and hope if this should happen again in our family I will be able to have the courage to smile.

Thank you all for taking time to stop and think. Being physically able is something I surely t ake for granted. They are supposed to have Larry King have program in her behalf.

Last edited:
I heard about it today. Indeed she did have lung cancer, but never smoked. They were a great couple. Very supportive of one another. They are together now.

amber

what a beautiful thought! When two people remain so close through such a time like this they should be rewarded by being united together. This made me feel better. Thank you amber.

Back
Top Bottom