Dang DC - Dang DC - Dang DC - In the nicest way.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Adillo303

Head Chef
I am an OK amateur cook. Most of my meals got good reviews (Clean plates). Then I started visiting DC. The reviews of my food have gotten better, I am cooking most of what we eat. I have met bunches of great people.

I especially enjoy threads that teach me how to make some of the simple things that we go out and buy, ofr which we already have the components in the house. Like Pacanis' one on brown sugar,in which KatieE gave the how to to make your own brown sugar. The one on how to make your ownspreadable butter. The one that I have to look up on how to make self rising flour, I already have 5 or 6 kinds of flour inthe house, also fromwhat I learned on DC.

In general - Great site - Great People. Just wanted to take an opportunity to say thank you.

AC

I'll second that!!!
I was so enthralled my first day I overcooked my pasta to mush!!!
I NEVER overcook pasta!!
:)

Although I havent been here long, I have made a significant change in what I cook AND what I will attempt to cook! My hubby loves my cooking more than ever....but even better he loves the fact that I am expanding & trying new things. It feels good to try something new & succeed!So I say thank you also!

I couldn't agree more adillo-I love hanging out here.

Personally, being a part of DC, and having access to some truly great culinary minds, has allowed me to break out of that "comfort" zone that I was in for so long, and try new things!!

While some have been more successful than others, the journey has been a blast!!

Not only has DC changed the way I cook some things, but it has changed the way I eat. For instance, I used to always eat my steak well-done (that's how it was always cooked growing up), but now I eat my steak and prime rib medium-rare. Another example is the salad I had tonight (we ordered dinner in). I would have never thought to try this combination pre-DC days. I had a Gorgonzola-Walnut salad. It had greens, onion, tomato, croutons, gorgonzola cheese, walnuts, and blueberry-pomegranate vinegrette (it was supposed to have cucumbers, but I hate them). It was fantastic! So my friends at DC have opened my food horizons.

:)Barbara

I have cooked for 45 years and since I joined DC I have expanded my list of food that I have never cooked before. It is one fine place to hang out and learn.

I echo much of that - it has been good to learn new things and to find new ways of doing old things - and the gadgets I want have increased!

I love DC. I'm an experienced cook who rarely uses recipes, but love opportunities to discuss food and cooking. A few times in my life I've actually had grocery store employees tell me that the store should hire me (advising young people on what to buy and how to cook it!). This forum lets me throw out ideas and receive ideas that aren't cook-book recipes. My sisters and even Mom (great cook, by the way), and now neices and nephews call me when there is a food question. But the real biggie to me is how lovely everyone is to me and to each other. I've received food in the mail from those who can shop in big-city places where I cannot. I feel like everyone is in my dining room, and that is in a good way. Good vibes to all of you!

Here here!!!! I'm with ya Adillo and offer my thanks and gratitude. I like discussing cooking and everything else in life!

I found this site by accident searching for a copy-cat recipe. Never looked back since. I'm not quite as active as I was when I first joined as far as posting, but not a day goes by where I don't stop by.

:) I started at the Foodtv network forum until a troll came in and caused it to shut down as the admins ther just did not want to deal with it. I then migrated to DC with a lot of other folks. I absolutely adore this place I am considered a professional on the cooking world and yet I have learned so much more as one can never learn all that can be learned even when you think you know it all. Also this is the nicest bunch of people I have ever met I only do this forum it's all I need. This group of people of long time members and new seem to have a genuine caring for each other. I have noticed a lot of new members and want to wish you all a big welcome. It truly is a great big family here and it also seems we are the biggest pet lovers on the planet as well.
I love when a member here is comfortable enough to private message me so they can unload their burdens and maybe get a good piece of advice as I also sometimes do the same to others. I wish we all could live in the same area imagine the fun times and yet we seem to to do a good job right here. And of course a great big THANK YOU to the admins for the great job they do to keep some of us in check. I probably should have been banned a couple of times for some things I said but fortunatly they gave me another chance because I WOULD JUST DIE IF I COULD NOT BE HERE ON DC. Thank you all for being here.
Jackie

I too migrated over from the Food-TV site shutdown. I was invited in and have never looked back. I love to teach what I know about cooking, and share the knowledge and skills learned over the last thirty + years of teaching myself all that I could. I love learning new things from others, who help me expand those skills still further. I am a skilled amature, and probably rank somewhere in the middle of the class as far as expertise goes. But even with that, as was stated before, to be middle of the pack means that you have learned a whole bunch, but still have a lot to learn.

I also love the freindship and genuinely caring attitude of the DC members, and have made some very special friends on this site. And the mods not only do a terrific job of moderating, by also are pretty knowledgable about cooking as well.

I'm not here every day, but am most days. But I am a busy guy, with many irons in the fire. I have a couple of novels to complete, another two that I am proofreading before trying to get them published, plus the home responsibilities, and the job. And you know that there has to be some time in there for a fishing trip or two, and for creating new recipes, or learning to make some classic dish that I've never made before. In other words, there's life to contend with.:LOL:

And I don't here oten enough from some of my online buds here, hint, hint.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I, too, migrated from the TV station web site. But they were allowing too many people who were nasty, and I think it wasn't commercial enough. I will go weeks when I read and write often, then go weeks when I do not. But someone is always here for me when I have a food (and sometimes personal) question.

When I first joined, I was very eager to get into all the food issues and discussions but now as my time on the net is quite limited, I focus on the community aspect of DC. I think that is DC's best point. There are so many nice people here that even when you are too busy to be on the net, you still want to just check in and see what your buddies, confidentes, and fellow-foodies are doing. I keep more up to date with DC-ers than I do with the people in the city that I live!!! When you make a friend on DC, you really feel like you have a friend, even if we may never meet.

Back
Top Bottom