Daylight saving time (light-hearted humor)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Have you all noticed that fewer people are wearing watches these days? I rarely see a younger person with a watch unless they're dressing up and it's a piece of jewelry. I guess the smart phone satisfies that need.

I tried using my smart phone for a watch. I miss a watch. And yeah, I rarely see watches anymore either.

I tried using my smart phone for a watch. I miss a watch. And yeah, I rarely see watches anymore either.

I have two. One is yellow gold and the other white. They were both gifts many years ago. Spike does some work for a jeweler and I get all my batteries for free. I always wear one every time I go out the door. That along with my broken heart pendant that I wear in memory of my daughter. Even if I have another necklace on.

Even though my computer has a clock (like all computers), I never think to look at it for the time. I look at the school clock my daughter bought for me many years ago.

My bedroom alarm clock has a DST button, so I just press that and it automatically jumps an hour ahead. That left me with the stove, microwave, and car.

When my mom was alive and living here she had a clock in every single room of the house, so there were a lot to change then. :)

I haven't worn a watch in so many years, I can't remember the last time!

Changing my clocks/watches twice a year is not a major challenge.

My currently broken-banded wrist watch is a major challenge. I just randomly push combinations of buttons until something works. The other clocks, other than the the one in my car, no problem.

In the winter when we're on Greenwich Mean Time here and the mornings are dark and cold I stay in bed until it gets light. In the depths of winter I often stay there until 8.30 or even later listening to the news programme on the wireless (ok, the radio).

I've never been to GB in the winter. It has always been summer. Nice long days, especially when I'm in Scotland.

CD

Have you all noticed that fewer people are wearing watches these days? I rarely see a younger person with a watch unless they're dressing up and it's a piece of jewelry. I guess the smart phone satisfies that need.

I have a friend who owns a jewelry store. He sells very high end watches. He recently told me that Swiss watch sales are down 40-percent. The biggest culprit is the iWatch, but a lot of people are using their phones instead of a watch.

He hasn't bought a new Ferrari in over a year. The one he has now isn't the newest model. Watch sales must be crimping his style.

CD

Last edited:
I'm still an old-fashioned, watch-wearing being. I have a nice Timex with a leather band that I love and wear all the time.

My all-time favorite is my beautiful white gold Longines with a faceted sapphire crystal that my father gave me for high school graduation. It went belly up a couple of years ago and, after sending it to Longines in France, the cost to replace the tiny gear was waaaaay beyond my means. So it sits in the safe but I have all the years of memories.

Changing the clocks in the house isn't much of a challenge, mostly a touch button here and there, with an occasional turn of a tiny wheel.

The only other gadgets that require attention are a couple of timers for lights that are difficult to reach in the living room. I usually forget to adjust them until we're surprised when they don't come on when they're "supposed to.":LOL:

My all-time favorite is my beautiful white gold Longines with a faceted sapphire crystal that my father gave me for high school graduation. It went belly up a couple of years ago and, after sending it to Longines in France, the cost to replace the tiny gear was waaaaay beyond my means. So it sits in the safe but I have all the years of memories.

If you do some research, I bet you can find an old, retired watchmaker who could get that watch running, again. There aren't many old-school watchmakers around, but many of the ones that are still around are old and retired, and just work on old watches for the sake of preserving them. My grandfather was one of those guys. Sometimes it took him a couple of days, and sometimes a couple of years, but he got them running.

Look around, that Longines is worth the effort, especially because of where it came from.

CD

I'm a fan as well. The extra daylight is a pleasure. How many times have you heard people complain about the fact that it's dark at 4:00PM in the winter...
I never was a big fan of DST when we lived in OH. On the longest day of summer, even if there wasn't DST, the sun would be up until just past 8. So I lived with sunset around 9:00PM-ish. Then we moved East. GAH! 4:30 in the morning and there is light sneaking around the shade and blinds in my east-facing window??? Gah! That's crazy-early! New England should be in the Atlantic time zone. Himself said he had read that when designing U.S. time zones, the powers that be decided they didn't want five.

Now I watch the sun set behind the hill in my MA house, saying goodbye before8:30. Way too early for a night owl.

BTW, Andy, you get "extra" daylight only if you're a morning person. That shipped sailed for us when Himself started working 4-midnight. :LOL:

In the winter when we're on Greenwich Mean Time here and the mornings are dark and cold I stay in bed until it gets light. In the depths of winter I often stay there until 8.30 or even later listening to the news programme on the wireless (ok, the radio).
My best friend back home told me years ago that the best sleep is had between the hours of 10 AM and noon. I've been testing that theory on and off ever since. :ohmy: :LOL:

If you do some research, I bet you can find an old, retired watchmaker who could get that watch running, again. There aren't many old-school watchmakers around, but many of the ones that are still around are old and retired, and just work on old watches for the sake of preserving them. My grandfather was one of those guys. Sometimes it took him a couple of days, and sometimes a couple of years, but he got them running.

Look around, that Longines is worth the effort, especially because of where it came from.

CD

You are so right. We have a place on a side street in Downtown Boston called the Watch Hospital. Many years ago I was in there to drop off a watch my mother had. There was a man in there looking at what was in the showcase. All of a sudden he blurts out, "Oh, there is a watch just like my father had. He got it for when he graduated from high school." I don't think any kid today would be happy getting a watch for graduation. They now want a trip to Europe.

CD

Thanks, casey. I have taken it to two old-world watchmakers and they both said they didn't have the resources to repair it. That's why I sent it to France. Maybe I'll have it repaired some day when I win the lottery. But, wait, I'll have to play the lottery first.:huh:

Here's a picture of the watch:

Attachments

• 002 - Copy (6).jpg
    002 - Copy (6).jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
Thanks, casey. I have taken it to two old-world watchmakers and they both said they didn't have the resources to repair it. That's why I sent it to France. Maybe I'll have it repaired some day when I win the lottery. But, wait, I'll have to play the lottery first.:huh:

I think I'd do whatever I could to get that beautiful watch repaired. It's a shame to have it hidden away in a vault. :(

I don't have any watch or clock that is difficult to change for DST. Even the car (2016 Ford F-150 4x4), all I do is touch the time display and it brings up the setting screen, change the hour, then close it. Didn't even have to look it up in the owner's manual. :smartass:

What a beautiful piece. I noticed that in using the Roman Numerals, the did the four the old fashion way and the way it should be. IV, not IIII.

Beautiful watch. I hope you get it working again, someday.

I also daydream of what I would do if I won the Texas lottery. About once a year, I actually buy lottery tickets, just for grins. If I played every day, my odds would be a tiny bit better, but at the end of a year, I'd probably just be down by 365 dollars.

CD

I think I'd do whatever I could to get that beautiful watch repaired. It's a shame to have it hidden away in a vault. :(

I don't have any watch or clock that is difficult to change for DST. Even the car (2016 Ford F-150 4x4), all I do is touch the time display and it brings up the setting screen, change the hour, then close it. Didn't even have to look it up in the owner's manual. :smartass:
Who said it's hidden away in a vault? I have lots of pretty things on my dresser that I see every day. Just seeing them makes me happy [emoji2]

Back
Top Bottom