DC's own coffee klatch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mid-morning-full-throttle-nap-attack. One mug of Colombian followed by another mug of French roast.....black of course. Should do the trick. The company supplies the coffee so it is of questionable quality but as long as it contains caffeine I'm certainly not one to complain...

I was trying to cut out coffee and then I discovered the flavored creamers! OMG I am so hooked!

I have just found out that the flavored creamers cause my blood sugar to go up. So no flavored creamers for me. :frown:

Sent from my SM-N900R4 using Discuss Cooking mobile app

I have just found out that the flavored creamers cause my blood sugar to go up. So no flavored creamers for me. :frown:

Sent from my SM-N900R4 using Discuss Cooking mobile app

Yup, and that is why you HAVE to become a back label reader. If it ends in ....ose, you know it is some kind of sugar. Sucrose, dextrose , fructose, lactose, etc. You get the idea.

I am diabetic also. But I am able to control it without medication only because I read the back label on every thing. I have found some canned tomatoes that have sugar in them. I didn't buy them. :angel:

*creak* Hey, anyone in here? Whoa! That's a lot of dust! I was thinking I'd pop by and check out the kitchen for any good coffee and maybe find a book in the library. Looks like I need to do a quick clean up first.

*opens windows* AHHHH! Better. I'll just wipe stuff down and toss a pan of brownies in the oven. That will bring folks running. Now where is that vacuum?

Blast from the past. Haven't seen this thread is ages.

The brownies are wonderful, thanks for popping those in the oven. I dropped off a pound of Panama Boquete Finca San Sebastian that I roasted yesterday evening. Love the Caramel/butter pecan undertones in this one.

Oooo, is that what that lovely coffee was? I thoroughly enjoyed it. Thanks .40

I tidied up the library too. I missed stopping by here.

*creak* Hey, anyone in here? Whoa! That's a lot of dust! I was thinking I'd pop by and check out the kitchen for any good coffee and maybe find a book in the library. Looks like I need to do a quick clean up first.

*opens windows* AHHHH! Better. I'll just wipe stuff down and toss a pan of brownies in the oven. That will bring folks running. Now where is that vacuum?

hey girl, so good to see you, stranger! sorry for the mess. i guess you were on vacation, but in august our well ran dry during the drought. there was a delay getting someone to come out and work on the pump, so we had only whatever bottled water we shlepped in from home. it got pretty sketchy after a few days, what with no running water and the toilets not working. i decided to close the place down until the well situation is resolved. it was a slow time around here anyhow, with people busy with summer projects and vacationing.... did you see, alix, i left notes both at the front and back doors 'splaining things, and left a spare key in its usual place. i didn't have time to make arrangements with addie to take buttons and dommie with her for a visit. addie's is the kitty's favorite 'home away from home' when they need temporary housing.
i scooped them up and took them home with me, just as a stop gap measure, you know? they've been tearing my place apart for the past month, staging nightly--raids? races? hunts?, chasing god-knows-what in the wee hours, and eating me out of house and home. i'm sure buttons and domino are ready to come home, too, and i am looking forward to a decent night's sleep. so good of you to tidy up around here, alix. i need to pick up a few things, but i'll be back with the kitties and help with the cleaning. are you staying for a while? we have a lot of catching up to do, we'll make some coffee, and mmm, what's that, brownies? they smell divine....

Last edited:
I guess I can stop looking under all the furniture for the kitties.

There was no note on the door, but its been pretty windy out there. I think I've given the place enough of a once over. Its lovely outside too. I think I'll take my book and read on the patio. Coffee, brownie and book...does it get better than that?

Vitauta, its lovely to see you here! Glad someone was around to make sure everything got fixed up.

What's everyone else been up to.

We still have Himself's plastic "David Douglas Cup-R-Two Coffee Cone" that he used in college! Since he was in college the second half of the '60s I guess our coffee cone would be considered "vintage". :LOL:

I realize I didn't mention the bean supplier we've switched our allegiances to. It's Dean's Beans, out of Orange, MA. Unlike Green Mountain (which, incidentally is changing its website name to "Keurig.com" later this summer - now I REALLY feel like the red-headed stepchild without a Keurig), you don't get automatic delivery on a schedule. Instead, you call or online order when you need coffee. Works for me since I was always playing with our shipping date anyway! Besides the fact that the coffee is really good, they don't roast the green beans until they get your order. My first order was put in late Monday night, they roasted the beans on Wednesday, and I got them on Friday. They were almost still warm from the roaster!
That sounds fantastic. Wish we could buy coffee like that. Well, you can in London but out here in the styx we're stuck with packets f the shelf. No freshly roasted coffee by mail order for us.

I cut all the edges off. I hate edges. ;) Mmmmmm dark roast sounds lovely. Wanna play some cards too?

I smacked my foot on something today and it really hurts darn it! Maybe I should add a shot of Bailey's to my coffee to dull the pain?

I can play Gin Rummy and Old Maid, Go Fish, too!

As for the foot smacking...nice warm compress and Bailey's should do the trick.

Brownies are delish...

sheesh, don't know what the two of you are talking about. doesn't everyone know by now that the choicest brownies are those crusty edge pieces?! that holds true for most breads too, but especially sweet breads like banana and nut bread. they have even started selling smallish, specially shaped loaf pans, designed so everyone can have an edge piece, and no longer have to fight over them.
pf, sorry about your foot. say, that bailey's and dark roast coffee sounds awfully good. i don't have to hurt myelf to get some of that, do i?

Psst, vit? I'm sneaking in the back. I bet Alix put the Bailey's in the pantry. I hope there's room on the shelf for this 3-liter box of wine. Getting a bit of a chill in these parts and you never know when someone *cough cough* might not be able to sleep and wants a quiet place to read and sip.

We have a nice pile of firewood in the way-back of our yard. If anyone is interested, I'll bring a bundle or two next time I come out. But we ALL have to promise that if we start a fire in the hearth we have to remember to break it up completely before we leave. Kinda like the last one out needs to shut the lights. ;)

Who gave the House Elves clothes? They would still be here taking care of the kittens, dusting and cleaning if that hadn't happened.

I didn't hurt my foot Vit, Alix did! I'm sure she will share the Bailey's.

By all means bring in the wine, wood and song.

Back
Top Bottom