Devils Night

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

recipefan007

Assistant Cook
Here in Canada some of the cities have been promoting "devils night" as "angels night" to try to reduce petty crimes commited by teens. I hope this works out because last year on devils night my car got egged and the tires slashed!!

Do you think this strategy will work out?

I don't think changing the name will have an affect. It is usually high school kids who participate in the illegal activities of Devils Night (or here in MA it is called Cabbage Night). They won't care what the name is, they just want to go our and cause mischief.

Here in Central PA Mischief Night is always the Friday before Halloween. Most municipalities in the area have moved trick-or-treat to the Thursday before Halloween in hopes that they'll minimize the Mischief Night activities. I guess they think kids will either forget about it or be confused which Friday it is and not do anything! Like GB said, it's usually the older kids that do the trouble-making so really, all it does is irritate people like me who think we should follow tradition and celebrate Halloween on Halloween!:rolleyes:

OK, I must live a very sheltered life as I have no clue whatsoever what you guys are talking about. Can someone enlighten me? Does it have something to do with today being All Souls Day?

Cabbage night typically occurs the night before Halloween, but other nights in other areas can be Halloween night or the Friday night before Halloween or any other night usually around Halloween. The high school kids (not all of them, but just the trouble making kind) go around and egg and toilet paper houses and cars and do other mischievous sorts of things like that.

OK. I thought that was what kids did on Halloween. We don't see much of that stuff here. I guess I MUST be pretty sheltered.

Alix said:
OK. I thought that was what kids did on Halloween. We don't see much of that stuff here. I guess I MUST be pretty sheltered.
I've heard references to Devil's night Alix, but you're not alone I've never seen it in person either (I agree with what you said, most mischiff takes place on the 31st)...I wonder if other Canadians have this night in their areas?

Alix said:
I guess I'm just as sheltered Alix! I've never heard of that either. I have heard of kids egging or TP'ing a house if they didn't get treats on Halloween, but that's it.

:) Barbara

I've heard of it but not a lot of that stuff goes on around here. The only thing that comes to mind is one year Halloween was on a Saturday & when we went out to go to church on Sunday morning someone had filled the cab of my dads truck with shredded paper. The funny part was that the parent's name of the person who did it was still visable on some of the paper.:rolleyes: It was one of the youth from our church.

Back
Top Bottom