Diamond Jubilee

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gravy Queen

Head Chef
Well we've all had a busy weekend here in the UK, to celebrate the Queens Diamond Jubilee.

Its been marvellous to see everybody coming together in true British fashion, everyone looking soooo soo happy. I am all for any event that unites people and puts a smile on everyones face! The pop concert at Buckingham Palace was pretty spectacular last night too.

The rain of course came, but didnt dampen anyones spirits, blimey we are used to a bit of rain, on with the show and all that.

I dont know if there was much about it on US tv, but there was also a lovely message from President Obama.

So its been a good weekend for cooking, relaxing, and a bit of drinking (hic), the diet starts next week . :rolleyes:

How did your weekend go ?

Ciao Gravy Queen,

I have caught the BBC TV News and picked up a couple of UK Newspapers this morning ...

The musicians performing at the Palace are phenomenal ... and the Red Dress Kate is sporting, is stunning ... I have always liked Paul Mc Cartney and of course Elton John amongst other UK vocalists ... My Mom flipped for Tom Jones ! Deliah ...

The husband of the Queen was rushed to hospital ...

Have any follow up news ?

Thanks, for covering ...
Kindest. Ciao,
Margi.

Last edited:
He remains hospitalized with a bladder infection. (there's a lot of that going around).

Gravy Queen,

Lots of coverage on TVE-1, one of the Spanish Channels and also caught BBC TV ... There was tremendous photographic media coverage in the newspapers this morning ... Read all about it, and had seen parts of the beautiful event ... Kate has such lovely taste, and a looked lovely in that soft Red.

I understand that the Queen´s Husband, the Duke of Edinburgh was rushed to hospital. Nothing serious was mentioned. Any update ???

Thanks for posting ...
Ciao, Margi.

My wife, daughter, and myself were in London 10 years ago during the Queen's Golden Jubilee. Unfortunately, the time we were there was clouded by the death of the Queen Mum (and just a month or so earlier, by the death of Princess Margaret). I remember walking up the road to Buckingham Palace and seeing all of the flowers left by well-wishers. While it was obviously a sad time for the royal family, we'll always remember this historic event as part of our trip.

I gotta say....I sure hope I am as spry and strong as Her Majesty is when I turn 86.
Best wishes for a speedy recovery for Prince Philip.
God save the Queen!!

Caught snippets on the News & ET (Entertainment Tonight), with some historical footage (w/ Churchill etc.). Would liked to have seen the performances of elton & stevie, and hear the Beatles. Lucky you. What did you eat & drink?

Prince Philip is still in hospital and being treated for the bladder infection and needs rest. The day before he was admitted there was a 3 hour river pageant along the Thames, a thousand boats, it was all rather splendid. The Royal Family stood up the whole time, and the weather closed in and it was pouring down (they were under cover but looked a bit chilly). The Duchess of Cambridge looked gorgeous in that red as you say Margi, she ended up wearing a tartan scarf to keep her neck warm. Prince Philip seemed to be enjoying it all immensely but I do wish they would have sat down and had a nice mug of warm cocoa while the boats went by! It was a glorious sight however to see the London Philharmonic Orchestra boat go by singing Land of Hope and Glory in the pouring rain, soaked to the skin, mascara running down the girls faces, but singing loud and proud!!

The pop concert was just brilliant, with the fantastic Stevie Wonder and Will.i. am. Sir Tom Jones is a legend and was fab and Sir Paul McCartneys set was spectacular with the fireworks to Live and Let Die. If you can catch a glimpse of the projections onto the Palace while Madness were singing, it is well worth a look, the Palace was just transformed.

This indeed really has been a rather joyous occasion in comparison to the Golden Jubilee,as you have pointed out Steve.

Food wise I made the Sticky Ribs (pic on my Sticky Ribs post), with corn and potato salad and yesterday I did slow roast Leg of Lamb with greek roast potatoes (not looking very British my menu is it ). I did make a Jubilee cake however, which I have previously posted here with the Union Jack in raspberries and blueberries.

I have also indulged in some fine gin (Hendricks) with Fever Tree tonic, an absolute delight while sitting out in some welcome sunshine yesterday! We also had some rather nice sparkling wine, I had hoped to get some Martini Prosecco in Costco but they didnt have it and I got Verve de Vernay instead, just as nice as champagne I thought.

I think the whole country has a hangover today.......:)

Being half Canadian, I'm enjoying all things Royal. The Queen, with her glasses on, looks just like my grandmother did! Same hairstyle too.

The Brits can sure put on a celebration!

Was partially watching while reading the paper this morn. I looked up at the TV, and thought what the heck kind of dance is that? All these dressed up men jumping up and down, and they aren't synchronized. Thought they might be doing a Masai warrior thing. Then the camera panned down and I realized they were on horseback....

Last edited:
Yes, we had a lot of coverage of it here on CNN. I was surprised that it attracted my husband's attention, and he was peeved (as I was) that it was covered in three minute increments with 2 minutes of commercials (or was it the other way).

Couldn't help but wonder if the younger royals don't get bored stiff after awhile of the ceremonies? Concert aside, which seemed more geared to them. But how long can you stand and wave?

But it looked like a grand national party, a happy event.

Couldn't help but wonder if the younger royals don't get bored stiff after awhile of the ceremonies? Concert aside, which seemed more geared to them. But how long can you stand and wave?

It is not uncommon for people to get bored when they are at work. :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I enjoyed every snippet of it and I am amazed at how sharp and nimble Q is at her age.

I'll have a glass of whatever she is having! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom