Difference?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

In the Kitchen

Executive Chef
Does anyone beside me, think buying from discount store different than speciality store? I was looking at store name Kohl's. The set of pots I was looking at seemed rather thin. My family believes, you get what you pay for. I do notice items purchased in department store Macy's, Dillards, etc do seem to work longer. Just seems too many discount stores and makes you wonder if it truly is a discount.

Although repairing anything today seems out of the question, I would like for the original to be used as much as possible. Like maybe my lifetime? Sure. Only kidding. At least at most 2-5 years before looking for another. I do not like shopping especially after seeing the crowds on Saturday. Good thing we left at 9 in morning. Traffic lines are not good after week of going back and forth to work in them.

thanks for your thoughts.

you do get what you pay for. companies like Calphalon make a line sold in Kohls and nowhere else! It's not bad, but it's not top of the line either.
on the other hand, a KA mixer is a KA mixer and Kohls may be able to offer a good price as they are selling nationally. But chances are Macy's will have a similar sale then too.

no doubt that you get what you pay for..
you may be lucky to get it for a special price somewhere, but you can compare any brand-articles to no-names.
We almost stopped buying cheap things, it's not worth it

Aggravation

Just like when I was married, my ex MIL always said to g et the cheap one. I often wondered why she said that and my own mother disagreed w/her. Since I knew my MIL had money I figured my own mo ther was the one I would listen to.

It is not worth the aggravation of finding receipt for the item and trying to tell them you used the appliance just as the guide told you to. I may get refund at times but the anxiet y of putting up w/the hassle makes me wan t to pay more. Not because I want to but I don't like trying to convince someone of my lifestyle. They never believe me anyway.

Thanks and grateful for your opinions.

When I got married the first time someone gave us a set of pots and pans. They were avocado green and lined with the first incarnation of teflon. I seem to recall that they didn't last very long. After that it was a succession of cheap pots and pans. We bought a beautiful set of stainless at Costco, we have another set that I got with a life membership at CCofA. We are looking at some hard annodized non-stick at Costco. I think, now, that I would advise anyone to get the best quality they can afford - pots and pans, knives, bakeware, etc. It pays in the long run.

When making a purchase like that, I always check Costco, BJs or Sam's because I find the savings quite substantial even over a dept store sale.

When you buy quality, the product lasts so much longer that amortized over years, they pretty much pay for themselves many times over.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom