"Dinner" or "Supper" / "Lunch" or "Dinner?"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cave76

Washing Up
What time of day are these served and called in YOUR home?

As a kid the evening meal was always around 6 PM because my Dad got home around 5:30 and it was called supper. I continued calling it that much later in life although I started calling it dinner more and more. Don't know why. I still interchange them willy nilly.

The noon meal was lunch. Unless it was Sunday. Then it was dinner and supper was supper. :bangin:

Noon-time meal was lunch, evening meal was usually called supper, but not always...we used them interchangeably. Sunday noon-time meal was definitely Sunday Dinner and evening meal was Sunday Supper.

Noon meal is always lunch. Evening meal is either supper or dinner, depending on the mood of the person speaking. The terms are interchangeable for us.

Breakfast, lunch and supper. And here, too, Sun. after church we went out to dinner. Any other nightime meal was going out to dinner, whereas it was always supper if we stayed home... as far as I can remember.

Lunch is the meal at noonish. Like at Alix's, we will change up dinner and supper. It usually depends on the complexity of the meal. Potatoes and hot dogs is definitely supper, but a stuffed pork tenderloin with a Hasselback potato and asparagus spears with hollandaise sauce would be a dinner no matter what time you served it! We usually do reserve the term "dinner" for the more formal occasions too. It's never "Christmas supper". ;)

Supper and dinner, I've always used interchangeably. My Canadian mother felt there was a clear distinction between the two, but I never understood her reasoning. DH always asks, "What's for supper?" We go out for dinner.

Lunch is noonish.

Last edited:
Lunch and dinner or supper.

I believe the rule is: If you have your big meal of the day at noon, it's dinner and the evening meal is supper. Otherwise, the evening meal is dinner.

When I was a kid the noon time meal was dinner and the evening meal was tea.

Today I do dinner at noon and supper at night.

I agree with Andy, to me dinner is the main meal of the day and lunch or supper is a smaller meal.

I'd always wondered about 'tea' for UK people. I always thought it was tea (duh) with maybe some cake or cookies or a few finger sandwiches. Just to hold you over until a late dinner.

To add to the confusion, my mid-western farm relatives (that we visited often) would have a fairly large meal (meat, potatoes, cooked vegetables) for the men who had been working hard all day. Then a lunch. Bigger meal. Then another meal around 3 p.m. Then supper at 5-6.

THEN before bed (which was early) a supper of warm milk, fresh from the cow, warm homemade bread, fresh from the oven to hold you over until breakfast at about 5 a.m. which was so huge I don't have the energy to type it all!

All this on a wood-burning stove by my 100 lb aunt! They don't make 'em like that any more.

I think the in-between meals were called supper too. 5 meals that would feed me for almost a week!!!

I told this story before, but this thread is where it belonged.

I was to pick up my car being repaired on Friday. The mechanic told it would be done around dinner time.
I went without a car all weekend.

I told this story before, but this thread is where it belonged.

I was to pick up my car being repaired on Friday. The mechanic told it would be done around dinner time.
I went without a car all weekend.

LOL-----that mechanic must have a totally different concept of dinner. (Oh, but wait------ did he say WHAT DAY that imaginary dinner was? :LOL: :LOL: )

Lunch and dinner or supper.

I believe the rule is: If you have your big meal of the day at noon, it's dinner and the evening meal is supper. Otherwise, the evening meal is dinner.
Pretty much how I understand it. I also believe it is dinner when you go out for a meal after a play or the opera (or host a meal).

I think that this is a hangover from Victorian times but as I know it is thus;
Luncheon 12.30-2pm (ish)
Afternoon Tea, eg. dainty sandwiches, fruit cake, French fancies or pastries etc. if one was 'At home' for the remainder of the day to see 'one over' until Dinner.
High tea ( a slightly substantial hot dish such as fish or Welsh rarebit ) 5-6pm (ish ) taken if one was going out to the Theatre / Opera / Concert so would not be taking Dinner that evening.
Dinner 8pm ( ish ) If one was 'at home' for the evening so would not have had 'high Tea'.
Supper, later in the evening when one has returned from said Theatre, Opera / Concert usually something informal such as Soup,cold cuts of meat, sandwiches, Cocoa and /or a nightcap eg. Whisky, brandy and Soda.
This didn;t apply to all the population of course!! Some folk had 'dinner' around 11.30am because they had been working since very early morning, say 5am, and were probably famished by then. They had 'supper' when they finally got home exhausted, before falling into their bed only to do the same thing again the next day!

I think that this is a hangover from Victorian times but as I know it is thus;
Luncheon 12.30-2pm (ish)
Afternoon Tea, eg. dainty sandwiches, fruit cake, French fancies or pastries etc. if one was 'At home' for the remainder of the day to see 'one over' until Dinner.
High tea ( a slightly substantial hot dish such as fish or Welsh rarebit ) 5-6pm (ish ) taken if one was going out to the Theatre / Opera / Concert so would not be taking Dinner that evening.
Dinner 8pm ( ish ) If one was 'at home' for the evening so would not have had 'high Tea'.
Supper, later in the evening when one has returned from said Theatre, Opera / Concert usually something informal such as Soup,cold cuts of meat, sandwiches, Cocoa and /or a nightcap eg. Whisky, brandy and Soda.
This didn;t apply to all the population of course!! Some folk had 'dinner' around 11.30am because they had been working since very early morning, say 5am, and were probably famished by then. They had 'supper' when they finally got home exhausted, before falling into their bed only to do the same thing again the next day!

Good explanation, thank you. So you would have to make it clear if it was just an Afternoon tea or a High Tea?

Does anyone do that any more? Except maybe at Buckingham Palace? ;)

One would inform one's cook if high tea was required .Yes, It is still possible to go for High Tea in some places. Very handy before going to the Cinema perhaps. These days it would take the form of something like Fish and Chips perhaps, eaten in as opposed to 'Tkae away.
Afternoon Tea is a delight and a treat, still served in some Good hotels for instance. Think of the popularity of the TV series 'The great british bake off'.
Some of my British friends and I entertain our french friends to 'Afternoon Tea and they LOVE it.

I went to an Afternoon Tea in San Francisco many years ago at The Palace Hotel. It was absolutely delightful.

The Tea Room: Hotel

The one chance I had for tea at the Empress, in Victoria BC, they were doing some sort of documentary and there were large cables and TV equipment everywhere and just a few patrons. Broke my heart. (Actually they should have just closed it down for that day----- but that's history.)

:glare:
I'd always wondered about 'tea' for UK people. I always thought it was tea (duh) with maybe some cake or cookies or a few finger sandwiches. Just to hold you over until a late dinner.

To add to the confusion, my mid-western farm relatives (that we visited often) would have a fairly large meal (meat, potatoes, cooked vegetables) for the men who had been working hard all day. Then a lunch. Bigger meal. Then another meal around 3 p.m. Then supper at 5-6.

THEN before bed (which was early) a supper of warm milk, fresh from the cow, warm homemade bread, fresh from the oven to hold you over until breakfast at about 5 a.m. which was so huge I don't have the energy to type it all!

All this on a wood-burning stove by my 100 lb aunt! They don't make 'em like that any more.

I think the in-between meals were called supper too. 5 meals that would feed me for almost a week!!!

Ahh, the tea issue!

In the UK afternoon tea is taken in the middle of the afternoon and consists of small sandwiches, scones and cake. It began, so it's said, because society ladies found it difficult to go from a light lunch at midday to dinner at around 8pm without sustenance. It began as a social occasion for the leisured classes but now it's an occasional treat enjoyed by anyone when on a day out or on holiday or if you want to have a casual get together with (usually female) friends.

And then there is "high tea". This is further down the social scale. It's a "sit down" meal in the evening between 5-7pm involving a knife and fork main course - eg ham and salad or a hot fish, meat or cheese dish, followed by cake and/or bread and jam and the ubiquitous pot of tea. The average working man took a packed lunch to work unless his work place had a canteen serving meals. (And whether it was sandwiches or in the canteen it would have been referred to as "dinner".)

Dinner was an evening meal for the upper and middle classes until the second half of the last century. Dinner would consist of possibly a first course such as soup, then a main course and a pudding (general name for a sweet course). Gradually "dinner" has taken over from "(high) tea" in many families.

However, just to confuse the issue, Sunday, Christmas and school dinners are almost always at lunch time. :rolleyes:

Supper isn't usually a meal unless you are getting home very late, say from a late shift at work or the theatre when it might be a sandwich or something on toast. Most people use "supper" to mean a hot drink and a biscuit before bed these days.

Of course, none of this is set in stone. For example in the post war period of social mobility there was a bit of a fad for people who had come to think of themselves as too posh for high tea but not posh enough for dinner, to call their evening meal "supper" but I don't think it's very much used in that sense these days.

There are certain references in the above that may sound a bit snobby but that wasn't my intention.

Back
Top Bottom