Dinner Time?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

~emz~

Senior Cook
What time does the average person eat dinner at? I know most people associate dinner with six o'clock, but in my family we eat fairly early, like five, five thirty early. Other people I know, they don't have dinner until seven or eight. What time do you normally eat dinner at?

We sit down for supper between 530 and 6.

ETA: We have children so we need to be on a schedule for meals.

Last edited:
We eat between 8:00 and 9:00, but I know that's later than most people's suppertime. Thing is, once I get my tummy full, I'm ready for bed, so I hate to eat too early.

we don't have a set time to eat, it depends if I cook dinner. If I don't cook and there are leftovers, hubby eats that when he is hungry.

Between 5 and 7, all depend son the time of year because I work different hours depending on the season.

While we have daylight savings on, it is about 8:30pm before the kitchen/dining room has cooled down sufficiently to have dinner. In the winter it is about 6-7pm so not too dissimilar from the real summer time I guess. Depends a bit how hungry vs tired I am.

Weekdays I never eat past 7pm, so dinner is usually between 6-6:30pm. Weekends if we are going out for dinner and staying out late after its anywhere between 7-9pm.

Here, it depends on the day of the week and who's actually eating. When the kids were small, dinner time on weekdays was about 6pm.

Now, I usually settle down with a bowl of soup around 7pm.

On saturday, however, when I actually have the entire day to cook at my leisure, and dinner is more of a formal affair, dinner is usually between 7:30 and 8pm.

I'm in the "got kids-eat early camp". I try for 5 but usually ends up 5:30. 6 if I have to stop and break up a smackdown or help with homework!
Every sunday I roast a hunk of meat, we try to make that a 3 or 4pm dinner. Key word, try.

I get home from work around 6 if I don't stop at the supermarket first so dinner is never before that. We will eat anywhere from 6:00 (if DW cooked) to 7:30. 6:30 is probably what we do most though.

Currently we eat at 5:15 during the week and 6:00 on the weekends. That is likely to change once the weather improves and the days are longer. DH likes to be outside workig on things!!

I don't even get home till at least 5:30 p.m., usually more like 5:45, and I don't start cooking right away ;) I wind down with a glass of wine and the newspaper and usually don't start cooking till during or after the 6:30 national news, so we generally eat between 7:30 and 8.

Whatever time I get home from work, that's when he starts cooking...lol, Not sure what happened to the dinner is ready idea...maybe because I never get home on time.

Back
Top Bottom