Disturbing the Peace

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mad Cook

Master Chef
It's one o'clock in the morning.

The tenants next door have been playing very loud music since 10pm.

Their house is a good 30 feet away from mine and I have double glazing and I can still hear the noise. The row is appalling. Fortunately I could sleep through the end of the world (Mother once vacuumed my bedroom while I was asleep in it and I didn't stir!) so it won't bother me but heaven help the neighbours on the other side who are nearer!

I could go and make a fuss now but I think I'll wait and go round at 7.30 in the morning (Sunday - Evil cackle! ) and ring their bell until they are all wide awake!

Last edited:
I get used to white noise pretty easily. I'm not far from the local event place and have been hearing gawdawful local bands playing all day. Well, not really *hearing* them, but knowing they are playing. The TV drowns them out when I am inside.

My city has an 11:00 PM cut off for annoying noise. Silence is just a phone call away.:angel:

For white noise, I can often use a box fan turned up high. Unfortunately, it doesn't help with the construction going on next door.

They are using a cherry picker to work on a large rehabilitation project with all day beep, beep... as they move it around. Weekends too!! Grrrrrr.

I've called the police more than once on noisy neighbors. They don't have a right to disturb the peace after a certain hour. Don't remember what that is; it hasn't happened for a long time now.

I had the same reoccurring problem years ago and I called the cops often. The neighbor asked me if I would call him first before the cops the next time and gave me his phone number. That worked, and I did.

For white noise, I can often use a box fan turned up high. Unfortunately, it doesn't help with the construction going on next door.

They are using a cherry picker to work on a large rehabilitation project with all day beep, beep... as they move it around. Weekends too!! Grrrrrr.

My neighbor a couple doors down has a concrete business. Sometimes I hear him using his skidsteer at 5:00 AM to move stuff around. It has the backup warning too. Of course, since I'm up anyway, what do I care :LOL: I can't speak for the lady in-between us :angel:

I had the same reoccurring problem years ago and I called the cops often. The neighbor asked me if I would call him first before the cops the next time and gave me his phone number. That worked, and I did.

Good arrangement and saves a silly call to the police who should be doing more beneficial things like eating donuts and pulling over people that had a glass of wine with dinner.

Their house is a good 30 feet away from mine and I have double glazing and I can still hear the noise. The row is appalling. Fortunately I could sleep through the end of the world (Mother once vacuumed my bedroom while I was asleep in it and I didn't stir!) so it won't bother me but heaven help the neighbours on the other side who are nearer!

I could go and make a fuss now but I think I'll wait and go round at 7.30 in the morning (Sunday - Evil cackle! ) and ring their bell until they are all wide awake!

I imagine its very annoying and everyone deserves peace and quite.
Is this the first time they annoyed you?
Have you had previous issues with noise from the same tenant.

If this was the first time and other wise they are good neighbors, a discussion today should be all it takes to get this problem solved.
The occasional party with loud music would be tolerated by me, as long as they were not playing country music. :LOL:

Seriously, If they are repeat offenders than by all means use whatever you have at your disposal to stop it.

Don't you just luv neighbors like that?Mother's day this year lasted with the people living behind us for 3 days.They start at 2pm end it around 3am..Every weekend somebody is always having a loud wall thumping party going on.My son now parks his diesel under or close to bedroom windows.Lets it idle long enough at 5am to wake them up.

Twice this week other neighbors have complained to me about the people behind me, Mother's day festivities.The cops don't show up. I told them what my son has been doing.They want to rent him and his truck the next time it happens.:wub::LOL::ROFLMAO:

Good arrangement and saves a silly call to the police who should be doing more beneficial things like eating donuts and pulling over people that had a glass of wine with dinner.

I imagine its very annoying and everyone deserves peace and quite.
Is this the first time they annoyed you?
Have you had previous issues with noise from the same tenant.

If this was the first time and other wise they are good neighbors, a discussion today should be all it takes to get this problem solved.
The occasional party with loud music would be tolerated by me, as long as they were not playing country music. :LOL:

Seriously, If they are repeat offenders than by all means use whatever you have at your disposal to stop it.

Ever have a Mariachi band wake you at 3:00 AM or try to deal with a belligerent, stupid drunk neighbor? Call the police and the neighbor has no clue who called them.

Ever have a Mariachi band wake you at 3:00 AM or try to deal with a belligerent, stupid drunk neighbor? Call the police and the neighbor has no clue who called them.

That's exactly what happens here. OOOOmmmmPAAAAPAAAH all night long.I can see calling the neighbor first out of courtesy.Kind of hard to do when we have a language barrier in the way.

Just for clarification, Craig is talking about an actual Mariachi band in costume that marched back and forth between our houses and around the back playing instruments at full volume at 3:00 a.m. Tried to yell out our 2nd story bedroom window at them to cut it out. Either they couldn't hear or ignored. Had to go outside and confront. Odd couple, German older woman, younger Mexican man. we later found out the next day it was her birthday and he wanted to surprise her with a romantic gesture. This came out with the apology the next day that she made him come over and give. I think she was mortified.

My neighbor the town cop got his hands on a bunch of fireworks and shot them off last night around 10:30. His didn't go quite as high as the big shows, but they were definitely the real deal with multiple starbursts and the kind that explode twice. And then came the KABOOMS! So what started out as a peaceful evening out with my dogs in the backyard turned into quite the illegal fireworks display. I'm not complaining though. It wasn't windy anyway.

The neighbors across from me on my side of the building set off fireworks every July 4th. They are not the KABOOM kind so I don't mind. And after all it is July 4th. (But fireworks are illegal in Massachusetts.) This foolishness lasts for about three days. Until they run out of supplies. :angel:

I guess we're lucky, this city has noise restrictions. I can understand how annoying those sounds can be over those late hours.

Any chance of petitioning the city council to bring about a noise ordinance and have it upheld by the police department?

I guess we're lucky, this city has noise restrictions. I can understand how annoying those sounds can be over those late hours.

Any chance of petitioning the city council to bring about a noise ordinance and have it upheld by the police department?

Many live in a city with noise restrictions after 10pm. That doesn't mean the problem disappears any more than the more serious restraining orders against someone do any good if they are hell bent on ignoring the law.
Granted, the latter can be thrown in jail and maybe the same should be done for repeated noise offenses except for the over crowded jails. A stiff fine for repeat offenses sits well with me considering the time it takes for police to enforce the noise ordinance.

Last edited:
My neighbor the town cop got his hands on a bunch of fireworks and shot them off last night around 10:30. His didn't go quite as high as the big shows, but they were definitely the real deal with multiple starbursts and the kind that explode twice. And then came the KABOOMS! So what started out as a peaceful evening out with my dogs in the backyard turned into quite the illegal fireworks display. I'm not complaining though. It wasn't windy anyway.

My neighbor is a cop too, and on 4th of July he always has the best fireworks around! :LOL:

Edited...my small neighborhood here is unbelievably quiet. Everyone around here shuts down by about 9PM, and I love it that way. Hope the problem doesn't continue, MadCook.

Last edited:

No, but sounds like lots of fun! ;)

My neighbor is a cop too, and on 4th of July he always has the best fireworks around! :LOL:

Of course. He confiscated them all year long and now he will use them illegally himself.

We live out in the country and we really have no neighbors. There are houses in the vacinity, but not close enough for these problems.
This works very well for us.
I like to play my tunes outside when tending the garden and sometimes in the evening.
If i lived in the city, I could not do these things.

I live in the city and I do these things ;) Just not really loud. I live in a historic (by U.S. standards) neighborhood and the houses are about 10 feet apart, for the most part.

Now, one thing that really annoys us is that the next-door neighbor made and hung dozens of wind chimes in the backyard trees. When it's really windy, or I have a bad headache, it drives me nuts. Not sure what to do about it. We've had many run-ins with them about the various ways they've intruded on us over the years.

I was much louder when I lived in the city. Sounds carry a long ways in the country.

Back
Top Bottom