DIY Biltong Drying Box

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Snip 13 said:
My pleasure :)
If you decide to make biltong, I have a game biltong recipe under my profile on DC. I can give you a beef recipe too.

That would be great. I'll be using beef.

I was thinking about covering the penetrations in the box with a fine screen to keep bugs out.

Good idea?

That would be great. I'll be using beef.

I was thinking about covering the penetrations in the box with a fine screen to keep bugs out.

Good idea?

My biltong dryer is a steel frame with fine mesh sides and a built in fan. Sure covering the holes with fine mesh will work too :)

Yes, so am I. I want make the real deal.

I use only coarse salt, freshly ground black pepper, crushed coriander seeds and brown sugar to spice my meat.

When making beef biltong you can just blot your meat slices dry. Paint meat on all sides with real vinegar using a pastry brush (not spirit vinegar) I use brown grape vinegar. White would be fine too.

My basic spice mix:

500gr (1.1 lbs) of coarse sea salt or kosher salt
150gr (5.2 ounces) of coarsely ground coriander seeds
125 gr (4.4 ounces) of light brown sugar
5 tsps. of bicarbonate of soda (makes the biltong tender)
5 tsps. of freshly ground black pepper

Mix all the spices well. Rub generously onto all sides of the meat. Lay meat on a flat tray and let it rest for about 6-8 hours. Shake off excess spice. Hang on hooks in your dryer. You can allow the meat to dry completely or eat it when it's slightly "wet". When you press on the biltong and it's still a bit soft in the middle, it will still give slightly when pressed. Then you can cut a piece of the end to check. Taste and if you want it dryer then just hang it to dry more.

You can add chili flakes or cayenne pepper to your spice mix to make a chili biltong. I add a bit of paprika when I use cayenne pepper.

Best cuts to use for biltong: Rump Steaks or London Broil. Always cut meat with the grain. The slices should be about 3/4 of an inch thick.
Make sure you have a very sharp knife or get your butcher to do it for you.
You're not making jerky so keep the fat on the meat. Try and find meat with yellow translucent fat. Not waxy white fat. Yellow fat or shiny fat as we call it, tastes great when dried.

If you are using venison, look under my profile for Game Biltong. The process is similar but the meat gets dunked in vinegar mix.
You can also use strips of meat to make biltong sticks.

Last edited:
Hope this helps! Shout if you want to know more :) I'm Afrikaans or as we say a Boere Meisie! Grew up pretty old school South African!

Last edited:
Thanks so much!

I was going to ask you about the fat and the best beef cuts for biltong.

What is spirit vinegar?

Its funny how my new interest in biltong and my woodworking passion dovetail (pun intended) so nicely.

Dovetail joint:

dovetail_joint.jpg

Apparently biltong is very tough and one of the sites I found recommends clamping the finished biltong in a vise and shaving it with a wood plane for easier consumption. This method will work very well after cutting the meat with the grain as you suggest.

hand-plane-kit-LG-5002b160.jpg

I will definitely have more questions for you Snip. You are definitely qualified to answer them.

Could you please post a photo of your box?

Last edited:
Thanks so much!

I was going to ask you about the fat and the best beef cuts for biltong.

What is spirit vinegar?

Its funny how my new interest in biltong and my woodworking passion dovetail (pun intended) so nicely.

Dovetail joint:

View attachment 17566

Apparently biltong is very tough and one of the sites I found recommends clamping the finished biltong in a vise and shaving it with a wood plane for easier consumption. This method will work very well after cutting the meat with the grain as you suggest.

View attachment 17567

I will definitely have more questions for you Snip. You are definitely qualified to answer them.

Could you please post a photo of your box?

I would be happy to help :) Biltong making is a passion of mine! Can't do wood work though but I can weld.
Spirit vinegar is made from sugar cane instead of fruit. It's usually the cheapest vinegar available so if you just pick a medium priced vinegar it's fine. I use grape vinegar. My biltong box is at my Dad's place but I will try and find a pic for you.

I would be happy to help :) Biltong making is a passion of mine! Can't do wood work though but I can weld.
Spirit vinegar is made from sugar cane instead of fruit. It's usually the cheapest vinegar available so if you just pick a medium priced vinegar it's fine. I use grape vinegar. My biltong box is at my Dad's place but I will try and find a pic for you.
Actually, the cheap vinegar here is made from alcohol that was distilled from petroleum products. :ohmy:

taxlady said:
Actually, the cheap vinegar here is made from alcohol that was distilled from petroleum products. :ohmy:

Eeyoo!

My favorite vinegars are red wine, malt, raspberry or any fruit vinegar, and balsamic so I might be on the right track here.

What listed ingredient aside from crude oil might be a red flag when making my selection?

Petroleum products? Nazteee!!!

Eeyoo!

My favorite vinegars are red wine, malt, raspberry or any fruit vinegar, and balsamic so I might be on the right track here.

What listed ingredient aside from crude oil might be a red flag when making my selection?

Petroleum products? Nazteee!!!
It might say that it is made from alcohol, without specifying what the alcohol was made from. It's the white vinegars (that I only use for cleaning). President's Choice (a Canadian store brand) makes a white vinegar that costs more, but says that it's made from grain alcohol. I keep that on hand for anyone who prefers white vinegar on their fries or whatever.

It might say that it is made from alcohol, without specifying what the alcohol was made from. It's the white vinegars (that I only use for cleaning). President's Choice (a Canadian store brand) makes a white vinegar that costs more, but says that it's made from grain alcohol. I keep that on hand for anyone who prefers white vinegar on their fries or whatever.

Thank you Tax! I have no idea what vinegars are available there. Our cheap vinegars are made with sugarcane.

Back
Top Bottom