Do You Add Tags To The Threads You Start?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Do You Add Tag To The Threads That You Start?

• Yes

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • No

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 2 28.6%

• Total voters
Yes I have when posting a recipe. Above the reply box there is a place to add tags with commas between each.

I haven't yet. This shows how much I know about message boards :LOL:, but I always thought that the forum software picked up on keywords in a new post and automatically tagged them. :huh:

I can see where it would be helpful to add new ones, though. Hmmm...I learn something new every day here. :)

I haven't yet. This shows how much I know about message boards [emoji38], but I always thought that the forum software picked up on keywords in a new post and automatically tagged them. :huh:

I can see where it would be helpful to add new ones, though. Hmmm...I learn something new every day here. [emoji2]

The forum software does use keywords in posts and titles. Particularly with a site as busy as DC, which is likely to be crawled for new posts every day, tagging recipes with keywords is not as important to search engine optimization as it used to be.

The forum software does use keywords in posts and titles. Particularly with a site as busy as DC, which is likely to be crawled for new posts every day, tagging recipes with keywords is not as important to search engine optimization as it used to be.

Good point GG, but not always here at DC.
Case in point, take a look at Andy's post " My Recent Vacation"-no tags
Semon's post "Fry Pans-blank
you would think that the software would recognize fry pans or parts thereof, but nope.
It seems that some words/phrases aren't caught by the software at all, "Petty Vents"-no tags, "How To Cook Dried Figs And Prunes" ... it got how to and cook, but not the keywords, figs and prunes.
Tags, it seems here at DC, are only generated by the OP and not subsequent posts or replies.

Good point GG, but not always here at DC.
Case in point, take a look at Andy's post " My Recent Vacation"-no tags
Semon's post "Fry Pans-blank
you would think that the software would recognize fry pans or parts thereof, but nope.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean (I'm on the app on my phone), but the way search engines like Google work is that they have automated software called bots that crawl (follows links) on the internet and indexes all the words on a page; when the search engine displays results, it gives extra weight to keywords that are in the title, the URL and any subtitles marked as such in the code underlying the page. It's a separate process from the forum software automatically tagging keywords (which I'm not positive happens and that's not what I meant; sorry for any confusion).

It seems that some words/phrases aren't caught by the software at all, "Petty Vents"-no tags, "How To Cook Dried Figs And Prunes" ... it got how to and cook, but not the keywords, figs and prunes.
Tags, it seems here at DC, are only generated by the OP and not subsequent posts or replies.

The search engine bots crawl and reindex busy websites at least once a day typically. So they're catching keywords on replies, etc., and using them for search engine results, even if the forum software doesn't display new tags on the page.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom