Do You Eat Kangaroo?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would certainly have nothing against eating kangaroo, unless I heard there were inhumane practices involved.

don't jump to conclusions, charlie. it depends on how you cook it.

Exactly Tom...if cooked for a short time, it is very tender :)

But like some meats, like steak for example, if cooked too long it goes tougher an drier

what part of the kangaroo is sausage made from? :ohmy:

if i was ever offered it, i wouldn't skip the chance... :cool:

i've heard grilled baby roos in pita pockets is really good...

ok, i'll stop now.

Tom, you are making me laugh :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

I actually dont know what part the sausages are made from...I will ask the butcher next week :)

There are quite a few restaurants in America that serve exotic meats from other lands. Along with bison, and bear they serve ostrich, kangeroo, and other meats from far off lands. On this continent we eat moose, deer, possum, squirrel, raccoon, wild boar, reindeer, etc. It all depends on what you grew up with. I am sure we would find some of the meats available to Snip13 to be very strange indeed.

In answer to a question I once posed to her, she listed some of the animals we see on the plains in pictures as being found in the meat section of her supermarket. They still have tribes in Africa that have to hunt daily for their meals. Not all the wild animals live in protected parks. :angel:

Personally, I don't eat any wild things primarily because I don't need to, if I did, I likely would. Are Roos raised in Oz to be eaten, or are we talking wild ones? Just wondering.

I unknowingly ate alligator once in NO and it tasted disgusting before I even knew what it was. The nasty taste of "fishy chicken" still lingers in my mind. :sick:

From what I have read and seen in reports, 'Roos are becoming a big problem in cities in Austrailia. Hitting one in your car is worse than hitting a deer here. They can do some serious damage. They are also in competition for the grasslands with sheep. And now with the wildfires racing across the land, they will be even more problems. The future doesn't bode well for the kangeroos. :angel:

Yes I have tried it they do it at food markets, for example at Christmas we have the continental markets and with that comes food stalls from around the world. Had a kangaroo burger but wasn't too fussy on it. Not because it was a kangaroo that doesn't bother me, just that it wasn't a great taste, same with ostrich .

I had some at the Gilroy Garlic Festival here in Calif a few years back.
It was lime marinated and cooked on skewers on a bbq.
I did ok with the first bite then started thinking" I am eating a giant marsupial"
and couldnt eat any more.

I had Springbok jerky a few years ago, brought back from South Africa by a co-worker.

Yum! I love Springbok Biltong! Kudu Biltong is even better :yum:
There is a difference between biltong and jerky that not everyone know about.
Biltong is cured and dried using salt, a small amount of vinegar and spices.
Jerky is cooked at a low temperature to remove all the moisture.
When making biltong the fat is left on while jerky's fat is removed to prevent spoiling since it's not cured.
Just felt like sharing that :)
I much prefer biltong since it has more flavour and can be eaten a bit moist or pink in the middle.

... it wasn't a great taste, same with ostrich .

Can’t speak for kangaroo, but ostrich is definitely nothing to write home about and I’ve had it number of times and from some great cooks too, blah. We actually ad a thread here about some unusual things we have had to eat. I t was interesting.

I did ok with the first bite then started thinking" I am eating a giant marsupial"

I must admit I found it hard the first time I had kangaroo, I was thinking the same...I didnt try it till I was in my early 30's...

We dont have it very often at all...and this is the first time we have actually bought it and will cook with it at home

What difference does it make? Kangeroo or Rabbit. They both hop. :angel:

I thought you were Ads :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

I have heard that in some parts of the world, they do in fact eat "dog" ewwwwww

I will pretty much eat anything that doesn't eat flesh and doesn't have hands, if there are no good environmental reasons not to eat them.

Last edited:
I thought you were Ads :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

I have heard that in some parts of the world, they do in fact eat "dog" ewwwwww

I was sure you would get it. After all Australia has been overrun with both rabbits and kangeroo in some parts.

I am surprised at myself in how much I know about Australia. :angel:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom