Do you have "Entree Envy"?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

buckytom

Chef Extraordinaire
i was listening to a commercial on the radio, and they mentioned something called entree envy.
entree envy is when you are dining out with someone, or a group, you always end up wanting what other's have ordered when the plates are brought to your table.

even if you have closely scrutinized the menu, asked the waiter dozens of questions, and have ordered your favourite-of-all-time dish, you still wish you'd ordered someone else's meal.

i thought this was a pretty funny concept, having experienced it many times. it was a running joke between my wife and i, see-sawing back and forth who had entree envy each time we ate out. for the longest time, i had the better meal, but more recently, dw has gotten the better deal.

i've thought about why this happens, but there seems to be no hard and fast logic to go by. it must be more of a psycological thing.

i usually try to order something based on what i think the restaurant would be able to do well; what i think would be fresh, or why they have certain specials (are they trying to get rid of a major ingredient because they have to, or is it really a special offering from the chef?). dw usually just orders what she likes, what looks tasty, without all of my heine-retentive analysis.

for the most part, we break even with the envy.

so, do you or have you known someone who suffers from entree envy?

Last edited:
It is a well known fact in my family and circle of family friends that whatever my dad orders will inevitably end up being the best dish that anyone in our party ordered. It never fails.

Ken has ice cream envy. Invariably whatever I have ordered is WAY tastier than what he ordered.

I'd guess it's an offshoot of the, "The grass is always greener in the other fellow's yard." syndrome.

I suffer from this envy from time to time.

Paul and I both have it. We found a way to deal with it though.
We always order different things and plan on sharing both.

This is so funny! I was glancing through the posts and read this one as "ENTRY ENVY" . I was thinking it was going to be a post about having envy for all those here who have been around long enough to have thousands of posts! lol. Maybe this will be the next envy!

Back
Top Bottom