Do you like ironing!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

In the Kitchen

Executive Chef
Does anyone iron clothes anymore and if so where and when? I have put it off so long, I have accumulation of a full basket of clothes that I just didn't do. Ironing seems to try my patience. One girl I had worked with loved to iron. Not me! Just curious if you feel the same way. There are some clothes that you are supposed to wear wrinkled but not dress shirts.

Got to complain about something.

It's one of my least favorite chores.
I wait until I have nothing to wear and then spend three hours
ironing. YUCK!

I iron every morning. I typically do it in the bedroom while catching the early morning news. I would'nt go as far as saying I love to do it, but I don't mind. I just like pressed whites, and non wrinkled chef cargos.

I absolutely dispise it. I try to buy clothing that doesn't wrinkle to much. I quickly take my clothes out of the dryer before it stops so they don't wrinkle. I grab a few out of the dryer at a time and quickly shut the door and turn the dryer on again so the remaining clothes don't wrinkle. If I do buy something and I find it wrinkles too much it goes into the rummage pile. The few things I do have to iron don't take but a few seconds to do. By doing the above I only have to iron maybe a few times each month.

I don't even own an iron. My daughter who still lives at home does but she only used it for crafting purposes.

I don't mind ironing, but I prefer an over the door ironing board, and the iron already close by and plugged in. Then all I have to do is turn the iron on and flip the board down. I learned to iron very well in the Navy.

For years I've kept the Argo laundry starch instructions taped to my tupperware cornstarch container. Something about a well starched white dress shirt just pleases me deeply. Having the laundry do it doesn't satisfy nearly as much.

Great

At least I am not the only one who doesn't want to look at the iron. Sounds like you all have your plans how to get around it if do it at all. They ask me if I gave the clothes away which made me take it on today. What about those steamers that I see the stores using to get the wrinkles out? I think they sell them but never asked anyone how they take care of their clothes? I share things from inside my home that I hope my neighbors never know nothing about.

I love ironing so much that I gave my iron away about 20 years ago and bought an ironing press instead. I use it regularly every 6 months or so. :-p I'd use it more often if I had more people besides myself to iron for.

I like nicely pressed clothes, but I don't like to iron. It's so time consuming!! And I always have a cat who wants to hop up on the board to see what I'm up to. It's very distracting, and kind of dangerous!

BC

I really don't mind ironing at all - I play my favorite music and send my mind on vacation. Funny how I actually enjoy ironing if it's quilt material or a quilt top I'm working on!:LOL:

When I was a little girl, I used to love to watch my grandmother doing Grandpa's shirts. She had a laundry room in the basement, with the big cast iron laundry tubs, a wringer washer, a hot plate for cooking the starch, and her ironing board.
That's how I learned to iron shirts, which really can be an art.
Mom worked, and had an ironing lady, but that was before spray starch, so the ironing had to be sprinkled down the night before. That was my job.

My first husband was a coach/teacher, and very particular about his clothes. He usually went through at least 10 oxford cloth dress shirts a week. And if there was the slightest wrinkle in the cuff or collar, he would wad the shirt up and through it in the dirty clothes. If I hung it crooked in the closet, and it got a wrinkle...back in the dirty clothes. I ironed every monday, and it often took me 8 hours to get it done.
I still did some ironing with husband #2, but when he told me his mother ironed his jeans, I told him to take them home to mother and let her iron them.
By the time I married husband #3, I had totally quit ironing, except when I was sewing or for a special occasion.
When My daughter passed away and her little 3 year old boy moved in, I bought him a pair of casual pants that needed to be shortened. I got out the iron to press the hem in, he asked, "What is that?"

Unfortunately, permanent pressed shirts are impossible to find anymore, and Kim and I have some dressier clothes that have to be ironed.
Fortunately, my cleaning lady also irons. Bless her heart, she even bathes my dog. What jewel she is.

I iron on a need to wear basis only and avoid it wherever possible!! Dh being ex army irons better than I do and won't let me iron anything of his (i can recommend this method!)
My late grandmother ironed everything even underpants (it killed germs she said!)

i find that folding or tossing into a laundry basket suffices. Mom & i have an exchange: she washes my laundry & i present 'er with new laundry in exchange.

I iron 5-6 mornings each week (husband wears suits to work). I don't mind it, as after a couple of years, I realized that I don't so much mind ironing the suits. It's the shirts I didn't care much for - probably because I am such a perfectionist. It must be perfect, so when those cufflinks go through the shirt, the cuffs are without any marks, and the collar is starched just so. Now, every so often I bring in a large pile of dress shirts to the cleaners. It's cheap and I have extra time on my hands.

PS - About half of my wardrobe doesn't go in the dryer, so I iron quite a few of my clothes and I like it.

Back
Top Bottom