Do you read Amazon books?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kenny1999

Senior Cook
Recently I am interested in a lot of books on Amazon
I don't like borrowing the library because I can't finish reading a book
in short time.

Which one do you think is the best reading comfort?

1. Kindle on PC
2. Kindle on special device for kindle
3. Hard copy

Regardless of the costs.

I use my Kindle almost exclusively now.

I only read one Amazon book a month because only one come free with my Prime membership.. I used to spend too much on books from Amazon and also had whatever their monthly added charge program is called, which allows a selection of free reads.. That program is about $10 per month..

When I discovered how easy using my library for Ebooks, I stopped buying them from Amazon.. My library loaned books give me 21 days to read them and I usually have about 3 at a time to read..

Ross

I use my Kindle almost exclusively now.

I only read one Amazon book a month because only one come free with my Prime membership.. I used to spend too much on books from Amazon and also had whatever their monthly added charge program is called, which allows a selection of free reads.. That program is about $10 per month..

When I discovered how easy using my library for Ebooks, I stopped buying them from Amazon.. My library loaned books give me 21 days to read them and I usually have about 3 at a time to read..

Ross

Your library? The government one?

I rely on Amazon a lot. Especially for old or out of print books offered by their re-sellers. But I still use the Library too.

Some people think Public Libraries are dinosaurs nearing extension. Not really.
There have been a lot of budget cut backs thru the Great Recession years but they are rebounding and adjusting to today's technology.

Yahoo news recently reported that in 2019 more people went to the Public Library than they did to the Movie Theaters.

Anyone can log into the Library website and renew their books if a hold hasn't been placed on the book by someone else. Once logged into the website you can find free eCourses, loads of data bases,(auto repair manuals, culinary, electronics, interior design, jewelry, landscaping, pets, travel, weaving and anything in between) Hoopla or Overdrive is where you can access some of the newest books online, Faxon will allow you to read current magazines online. Tutorials online to prep for test to be certified. All for free to use at your own rate & leisure. All you need is a Library Card with a PIN number (free)and set up your account with password.

Today, when you are in one of the main Library buildings so much of it looks like it's empty space. What has happened is that it has gone.....online.

The thing is, so many folks just don't know about it yet.

Last edited:
DH and I have been buying books from Amazon for years now. We try to get the used, cheapest (but in good condition) books we can find. Either in hard cover (DH prefers) or soft cover (I prefer). The only problem with this, our house is being overrun with books. Example: We now have #33 books (out of over 50) by Stuart Wood. We have to do something with them. So, think about that problem when you are deciding what to buy. lol

DH and I have been buying books from Amazon for years now. We try to get the used, cheapest (but in good condition) books we can find. Either in hard cover (DH prefers) or soft cover (I prefer). The only problem with this, our house is being overrun with books. Example: We now have #33 books (out of over 50) by Stuart Wood. We have to do something with them. So, think about that problem when you are deciding what to buy. lol
We have a Little Free Library in the neighborhood, so I donate excess books there. You can find out if there's one near you on the map here: https://littlefreelibrary.org/

You can also donate books to your local library, senior center, hospital, etc.

I rely on Amazon a lot. Especially for old or out of print books offered by their re-sellers. But I still use the Library too.

Some people think Public Libraries are dinosaurs nearing extension. Not really.
There have been a lot of budget cut backs thru the Great Recession years but they are rebounding and adjusting to today's technology.

Yahoo news recently reported that in 2019 more people went to the Public Library than they did to the Movie Theaters.

Anyone can log into the Library website and renew their books if a hold hasn't been placed on the book by someone else. Once logged into the website you can find free eCourses, loads of data bases,(auto repair manuals, culinary, electronics, interior design, jewelry, landscaping, pets, travel, weaving and anything in between) Hoopla or Overdrive is where you can access some of the newest books online, Faxon will allow you to read current magazines online. Tutorials online to prep for test to be certified. All for free to use at your own rate & leisure. All you need is a Library Card with a PIN number (free)and set up your account with password.

Today, when you are in one of the main Library buildings so much of it looks like it's empty space. What has happened is that it has gone.....online.

Agreed on all counts. Also, a library in a neighboring city has offered a free account to all residents of Virginia. Loads of books are available online from them. Also, look for books that are out of copyright - you can often find electronic versions available for free, especially on Amazon, but there are other places, too. The .mobi format can be read on a Kindle or the Kindle app on another device.

I have a Kindle, but I don't like the interface and the limitations, so I read e-books using the Kindle app on my tablet.

Last edited:
I used to use a Nook (Barnes & Noble product). It works well with purchased downloads but I have issues with downloading books from my local library.

Now I use the Kindle app on my phone and another app called Libby that allows me to search my local area libraries for books and downloads them. I can also put a hold on a book and it downloads automatically when it's available.

Andy, "Libby" is the new "Overdrive". Himself has used both and has never had problems with either.

...Some people think Public Libraries are dinosaurs nearing extension
...Anyone can log into the Library website and renew their books if a hold hasn't been placed on the book by someone else. Once logged into the website you can find free eCourses, loads of data bases,(auto repair manuals, culinary, electronics, interior design, jewelry, landscaping, pets, travel, weaving and anything in between)...

Our town library offers so much more these days than just books. Many times the parking lot looks like Christmas Eve at the local shopping mall. Book club, knitting club, movie night, jewelry exchanges, passes for free or discounted admission to places like museums and parks...so many things for adults, not to mention the very many activities and programs for kids! Love my local library.

I use the website often to order books and videos, renew either, or just find out what's happening.

kenny, I'm a hard copy kind of reader. I like the feel/weight/smell of a real book. I do know that Himself likes reading his books online, with his Amazon Fire tablet, using the "Libby" app since it came out. Previously he used "Overdrive" with no problems, and used a Samsung tablet with the Overdrive.

DH and I have been buying books from Amazon for years now. We try to get the used, cheapest (but in good condition) books we can find...
Have you checked any other book reseller websites? I know of four, but I can recommend both Abe Books and ThriftBooks as being reliable, although I do prefer ThriftBooks. Two others are Alibris and Better World, but I haven't used either one. I'm sure there are other book resellers out there that I don't know of; maybe Katie H can chime in, since she's the one who mentioned buying books through ThriftBooks. (Thanks, Katie!)

Have you checked any other book reseller websites? I know of four, but I can recommend both Abe Books and ThriftBooks as being reliable, although I do prefer ThriftBooks. Two others are Alibris and Better World, but I haven't used either one. I'm sure there are other book resellers out there that I don't know of; maybe Katie H can chime in, since she's the one who mentioned buying books through ThriftBooks. (Thanks, Katie!)

Thanks CG, at this time I don't see any need to shop around. So far I am happy with what Amazon charges for their books. And, so far, they have the authors I am looking for. Thanks again

Last edited:
I use my Kindle to keep some cookbook's on and a lot of my cross-stitch pattern books and stuff like that. Mom is a die-hard hard copy book type of person. She says it's as much the feel of having the book in her hands and the smell of the paper for her.

I have just decided to try "Libby".. Hope I like it as well as I have liked "Overdrive".. I understand that there are additional benefits with Libby..

I don't know why I am so slow in accepting change.. ;)

Ross

Two good reasons:

1) If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
2) Let someone else find all the bugs and adopt it when most of the bugs are fixed.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom