Do you really want calorie labels on menus?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think nutrition info is great. I don't think that is "nannying". Nannying would be a law that limited the amount of sugar, fat, salt, whatever, in the food served. This just allows people to make an informed decision.

An alternative to placing it right on the menu would be to have a seperate document available if requested that gave the nutritional information of the various dishes. Then people who want to just read a menu could do so and those who wanted to know the nutritional information would have it available. I think common allergen information should be on the menu. I mean, almond crusted salmon is an obvious no go for someone with a nut allergy, but I've seen things like salads who's listings tha said some thing like, "with seasonal garnish" and when it came out the garnish included nuts.

I find the nutrition information helpful.

One example that sticks in my mind was a trip to Dunkin' Donuts. I stayed away from the doughnuts and selected a bagel. My bagel contained 67 carbs and a chocolate glazed doughnut had 37 carbs. In my situation the doughnut would have been a better choice, who knew! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

An alternative to placing it right on the menu would be to have a seperate document available if requested that gave the nutritional information of the various dishes. Then people who want to just read a menu could do so and those who wanted to know the nutritional information would have it available. I think common allergen information should be on the menu. I mean, almond crusted salmon is an obvious no go for someone with a nut allergy, but I've seen things like salads who's listings tha said some thing like, "with seasonal garnish" and when it came out the garnish included nuts.
Then it should say on the menu that the document is available.

Only 4% of the people in Ontario even knew that those documents are available, according to that news piece.

One example that sticks in my mind was a trip to Dunkin' Donuts. I stayed away from the doughnuts and selected a bagel. My bagel contained 67 carbs and a chocolate glazed doughnut had 37 carbs. In my situation the doughnut would have been a better choice, who knew! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:
Yup.

I was thinking that there are places I stay away from now, that, if I knew which menu items weren't overloaded with salt, etc., I might be willing to try.

The same is true of donuts vs. muffins @ DD. Muffins have a LOT more calories than the donuts.

Nutritional information on a menu appears to be a good thing, and can always be ignored if one chooses. It's not a problem for chain franchises to figure out all the information by nutritional experts they can afford to employ. The problem lies with the independent owners who have neither the time or money to figure out the correct nutritional values on each menu item.

Nutritional information on a menu appears to be a good thing, and can always be ignored if one chooses. It's not a problem for chain franchises to figure out all the information by nutritional experts they can afford to employ. The problem lies with the independent owners who have neither the time or money to figure out the correct nutritional values on each menu item.
In this particular case, the law would apply to chains of 5 or more restos with earnings over $5,000,000/year. I thought that was a nice touch.

I don't care if nutritional info is included on menus including calorie counts. There is no rule that I have to order accordingly. We're not at the restaurant to diet, we're there for a nice time and something we don't have at home often...lots of calories.

One of the local chain restaurants has a pamphlet available at the check out with full nutritional info for all their items. They've had it for years, even before they had to do it. I take it into consideration, but don't make it my first consideration for ordering.

It would not matter to me one way or the other. If they want to include that information on the menu or on another document it is a-ok with me ... just don't change the language on my menu.

For me ... I am eating out so it's a treat.

If I had health issues I would probably be more concerned, but as far as calories ... it will not affect my choices from a menu.

I don't care if nutritional info is included on menus including calorie counts. There is no rule that I have to order accordingly. We're not at the restaurant to diet, we're there for a nice time and something we don't have at home often...lots of calories.

I agree, and we're not at restaurants to diet. But there are a lot of people who travel a lot with their work eating multiple meals a day in restaurants and having this info readily available would be great.

Seeing calorie counts on menus really does influence how I order. I find it kind of difficult to order things with tons of calories when those counts are staring me in the face.

Seeing calorie counts on menus really does influence how I order. I find it kind of difficult to order things with tons of calories when those counts are staring me in the face.
I might choose the lower calorie meal as well, or the one without the outrageous amount of sodium. I might even decide to go to a different resto another time.

Most of the food doesn't need the extreme amounts of calories and sodium that one often finds in restos to taste wonderful.

We seldom eat out and, as others have already mentioned, when we do it's a treat, so the calorie labels on a menu wouldn't mean much to me.

Plus, I've discovered that as I've gotten older I naturally eat less, which is a bonus all the way 'round. Glenn and I are fortunate that we don't have any food allergies, so we can eat what we wish and enjoy it.

Most major restaurant chains have nutritional data available on request anyway...or posted on their website. Does it really need to be on the menu?

Mom and Pop restaurants might have a little more trouble...I guess they'd just have to add up the calories listed on each ingredient.

Sometimes when I see a calorie count for something I like I am shocked at how high it is, and it makes me realize that I don't want that item that bad and choose something else.

Back
Top Bottom