Do you think cancer is more like destiny than lifestyle??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kenny1999

Senior Cook
I personally know quite a number of women whom you know that they are kind of people who never smoke, or that they claim they do never smoke, get cancer. Frankly speaking, I personally never know one who smokes get lung cancer.

Do you think it's more like destiny than lifestyle? I am NOT speaking against
the medicine fact that lifestyle does matter, but do you think destiny plays a
more important role?

We had a funeral last month of a wonderful young girl we knew that died of lung cancer.
She never smoked. Fit and healthy.
Then, Mesothelioma took her out. A lung cancer linked to asbestos.

Her husband owns a flooring business and most old flooring has to be removed before the new flooring can be installed. Trouble is most old flooring has asbestos in it and the workers bring it home on their cloths.

It's environment, it's diet and it's inherited.

We were sitting at the Reef Bar in Two Harbors and some girl summer camp councilors came in and sat next to us.
We bought a round of course. Drunks make friends easy.

My wife got to chatting with them and their summer camp is specific to girls under 18 that have breast cancer. Girls from all over North America.
The average age of the kids there is 8 years old my wife learned.

My wife is a specialty cancer RN at a big hospital and major research center here and dug deep into the conversation.
All the Camp Councilor's had breast cancer at a young age too.

I had colon cancer and was treated at 3 different, non affiliated cancer research centers.
Disney, USC and one other.
All the researchers said beef and nitrated meats are a big carcinogen leading to colon cancer.
Sugar too.

Last edited:
Destiny is a spiritual concept that I don't subscribe to.

I worked at a medical school for 14 years and there were several different departments working on different types of cancer. One thing many people don't understand is that cancer is not just one disease - there are many kinds of cancer that grow and spread at different rates and in different ways, and respond to different types of treatment. Therefore, researchers generally confine their research to a specific type and their results may or may not be applicable to a different one.

It's a very complex problem that stems from genetics to diet and environmental conditions.

Edit: I just realized that I repeated what Lee said ;) Sorry about that - it just goes to show how true it is.

Last edited:
Cancer and what you can do about it. Since genetics are what they are, we're all stuck with the genes we have, there's not much you can do about it, except diet and exercise (and stress management, so lifestyle).

According to what doctors know about cancers, diet is the most effective thing you can do, followed by exercise. By doing these two things, it changes the way our genes and bodies handle cancer cells.
https://nutritionfacts.org/2019/10/03/how-not-to-die-from-cancer/

Cancer and what you can do about it. Since genetics are what they are, we're all stuck with the genes we have, there's not much you can do about it, except diet and exercise (and stress management, so lifestyle).

According to what doctors know about cancers, diet is the most effective thing you can do, followed by exercise. By doing these two things, it changes the way our genes and bodies handle cancer cells.
https://nutritionfacts.org/2019/10/03/how-not-to-die-from-cancer/
"If the blood of those eating the Standard American Diet is dripped onto cancer cells growing in a petri dish, cancer growth is cut down about 9 percent. And if they’ve followed a plant-based diet for a year? Their blood can slash cancer growth by 70 percent. So the blood circulating throughout the bodies of those eating plant-based diets had nearly eight times the stopping power when it came to suppressing cancer cell growth."

This is known as an in vitro experiment and does not generally provide useful, valid results. The body is very different from the agar agar in a petri dish and practically everything - including water - will kill cancer cells in a petri dish. This doesn't prove that any particular diet is going to kill cancer cells.

Here's a discussion of the various types of experimental designs researchers use and how reliable the results are.
https://thelogicofscience.com/2016/01/12/the-hierarchy-of-evidence-is-the-studys-design-robust/

If you watch the So Cal Public Huel Howser TV Show rerun where he visits the restoration of the Lindberg light in Los Angeles he's guided by Bob Hunter.

Bob came down with early stage Colon Cancer same time as me.
I went in for chemo, Bob read that consuming extract of licorice root and blanched pecans will cure it. The Steve Jobs cure all cancers diet. Like Steve Jobs, Bob skipped chemo too.

4 years later I'm sitting here typing this, Bob is now buried in Evergreen Cemetery about 200 ft from his hero Curly Howard.

Last edited:
"If the blood of those eating the Standard American Diet is dripped onto cancer cells growing in a petri dish, cancer growth is cut down about 9 percent. And if they’ve followed a plant-based diet for a year? Their blood can slash cancer growth by 70 percent. So the blood circulating throughout the bodies of those eating plant-based diets had nearly eight times the stopping power when it came to suppressing cancer cell growth."

This is known as an in vitro experiment and does not generally provide useful, valid results. The body is very different from the agar agar in a petri dish and practically everything - including water - will kill cancer cells in a petri dish. This doesn't prove that any particular diet is going to kill cancer cells.

Here's a discussion of the various types of experimental designs researchers use and how reliable the results are.
https://thelogicofscience.com/2016/01/12/the-hierarchy-of-evidence-is-the-studys-design-robust/

But arguably Garlic does repel Vampires doesn't it?

OK seriously,,, on the level:
-------------------------------

I wore my "I'm vaccinated" t shirt and found it got the same bad reaction as wearing a political T shirt.
Talking cancer, vaccinations, healthcare, politics, religion or money all bring on strong, often negative emotions from people.
So I digress.

I am a cancer survivor. My Oncologist told me that my cancer had nothing to do with genetics, or lifestyle. I just got it.

Now, I am from Port Arthur, an oil refinery and chemical plant city in Texas that is one of three cities that make up what has been nicknamed the "Cancer Triangle." I've lost about a dozen friends from high school to cancer. So, I don't doubt that environment plays a part in who gets cancer.

CD

Kinda late to this thread, but it's one that hits home. My sister, Chris, was an odd one....Never touched a drop of alcohol, never smoked, never took any kinds of illegal substances, only ever had one boyfriend in her life, Lived with our mom her entire life and suffered a stroke at age 45.

The following year, during her recovery, they ran some extra blood work and found cancer. Initially cervical cancer but by the time it was diagnosed it had already spread. She went through several surgeries, Chemotherapy and Radiation therapy for 4 1/2 years until the cancer finally took her life last February at the age of 51.

Our paternal grandfather did have cancer when he died but it was cirrhosis that killed him. Nobody else out of nearly 100 family members had or have cancer.

Ya just never know.

Why do people turn a blind eye to how food affects our health?

Never smoked, no drugs, no alcohol, no cancerous number of boyfriends, didn't work in environmental toxins areas. Anyone can get cancer on any lifestyle at any age.

If 90% of the american public can't even get enough fiber, they are woefully ignorant on health and how it is affected by nutrition.

Let's just say they don't get enough fiber (25 grams) because 90% don't.

So their liver and kidneys send a bunch of oxidated free radicals and toxins and waste and hormones down the simple intestines to get rid of them, but the person doesn't eat enough fiber. What happens. The toxins and free radicals and waste and hormones get recycled again and go back into the blood stream. The liver and kidneys trying again, take them out and send them to the intestines, but without enough fiber, they go back into the blood stream. By now, the blood stream is carrying a high load of toxins and free radicals and hormones making the liver and kidneys work harder than ever.

Get enough water. If you are eating lots of plant food you are getting water from them. Meat, dairy, eggs, not so much. Flush it out. Drink water to eliminate waste.

These two basic things will keep you healthier. If you can do these two things and your body wants to fight cancer it sure has a better chance. It can slow the progression and reverse certain types of disease states.

If you don't know how to check to see if you get enough fiber, get an application called cronometer.com, check your fiber. If you don't care, then don't.

You can act as bewildered as you wish, but to expect that what you put in your mouth doesn't matter is like acting bewildered that a hammer hitting your foot won't break a bone. Putting 4 oz of medication, or 8 oz of supplements into your body over a year, hardly matters against the 2000 lbs of food you eat per year.

Why do people turn a blind eye to how food affects our health?

Never smoked, no drugs, no alcohol, no cancerous number of boyfriends, didn't work in environmental toxins areas. Anyone can get cancer on any lifestyle at any age.

If 90% of the american public can't even get enough fiber, they are woefully ignorant on health and how it is affected by nutrition.

Let's just say they don't get enough fiber (25 grams) because 90% don't.

So their liver and kidneys send a bunch of oxidated free radicals and toxins and waste and hormones down the simple intestines to get rid of them, but the person doesn't eat enough fiber. What happens. The toxins and free radicals and waste and hormones get recycled again and go back into the blood stream. The liver and kidneys trying again, take them out and send them to the intestines, but without enough fiber, they go back into the blood stream. By now, the blood stream is carrying a high load of toxins and free radicals and hormones making the liver and kidneys work harder than ever.

Get enough water. If you are eating lots of plant food you are getting water from them. Meat, dairy, eggs, not so much. Flush it out. Drink water to eliminate waste.

These two basic things will keep you healthier. If you can do these two things and your body wants to fight cancer it sure has a better chance. It can slow the progression and reverse certain types of disease states.

If you don't know how to check to see if you get enough fiber, get an application called cronometer.com, check your fiber. If you don't care, then don't.

You can act as bewildered as you wish, but to expect that what you put in your mouth doesn't matter is like acting bewildered that a hammer hitting your foot won't break a bone. Putting 4 oz of medication, or 8 oz of supplements into your body over a year, hardly matters against the 2000 lbs of food you eat per year.
No one ever said they don't matter, bliss, but your ideas about how the digestive system works are about as convincing as that ridiculous "study" you posted. If you're getting all of your information about health from that site - which you reference regularly - it's not surprising why.

Well, a less terse response.

First, Ma smokes, 80 and her doctor doesn't even mention it. Eugene, ex-boss died of lung cancer having never smoked anything. He had had kidney cancer and that is known to migrate to the lungs but his health care provider did not check on that and he showed up at the hospital when his lung capacity got down to about 10%. He was delivering a refrigerator upstairs, alone.

He ate alot of fish from the river, that may have caused it, heavy metals etc.

There are old Men in bars to this day, like 80 or so still smoking Camel straights, sipping on Old Grandad and ogling the young chicks. Others are 60 and languishing in a wheelchair.

For some, lifestyle doesn't seem to matter.

Now they have found so many causes it is ridiculous, they have class action lawsuit hotlines just to find out if you're on one. Talcum powder caused cancer. Xanthax caused cancer. That pisses me off because diet could have managed the heartburn etc. that the stuff was supposed to treat.

Cancer is just a big bad word really. It is a varied collection of disorders that have a few things in common. But they put the word on it and you get scared and empty your wallets.

T

I think it's just whatever the Big Man upstairs wants to throw at you. My great aunt never smoked a day in her life - ended up with emphysema, TB, and metastatic lung cancer.

My sister, OTOH, smoked like a chimney from the time she was either 13 or 15, and had made it a New Years resolution to quit (or cut down) because she caught the flu and wasn't getting any better - or so we thought. She was sent to hospital to get more blood work and tests done - she was diagnosed with metastatic lung cancer, COPD (a side effect of the cancer), and liver cancer. That was in January - by March she was in hospice care, and by April she was gone.

I think it's just whatever the Big Man upstairs wants to throw at you. My great aunt never smoked a day in her life - ended up with emphysema, TB, and metastatic lung cancer.

My sister, OTOH, smoked like a chimney from the time she was either 13 or 15, and had made it a New Years resolution to quit (or cut down) because she caught the flu and wasn't getting any better - or so we thought. She was sent to hospital to get more blood work and tests done - she was diagnosed with metastatic lung cancer, COPD (a side effect of the cancer), and liver cancer. That was in January - by March she was in hospice care, and by April she was gone.
I'm so sorry for your loss, Cindy. Hugs.

I'm so sorry for your loss, Cindy. Hugs.

Thank you so much. I still have days where I want to call her for some reason or another, then realize she's not there anymore. We did all sorts of needlework together, and the last week she was in a place to make decisions, when we went to see her that week - she had my BIL give me ALL her cross-stitch things. I still can't bring myself to open those boxes. Mom still can't accept it - she says a parent shouldn't have to bury her child.

I also think that humans are weaker in many ways than they were in the past. It is not just immune system, though that i in there, but even physical strength A guy had a harness to put on his back to carry 300lb. bags of ic up the stairs to the fourth floor.

And think of them pumping up say talcum powder, yet no trace of cervical cancer. Yet now there is a class action lawsuit. They are coming up with carcinogens by the carload, many things many people used, thinking they were innocuous. But back then they were.

Looking at the trend, what happens when they have sued every company on Earth ?

Looking at the big picture the only conclusion you can draw is that we are weaker. See most of this stuff has not changed in centuries.

What did ?

T

I also think that humans are weaker in many ways than they were in the past. It is not just immune system, though that i in there, but even physical strength A guy had a harness to put on his back to carry 300lb. bags of ic up the stairs to the fourth floor.

And think of them pumping up say talcum powder, yet no trace of cervical cancer. Yet now there is a class action lawsuit. They are coming up with carcinogens by the carload, many things many people used, thinking they were innocuous. But back then they were.

Looking at the trend, what happens when they have sued every company on Earth ?

Looking at the big picture the only conclusion you can draw is that we are weaker. See most of this stuff has not changed in centuries.

What did ?

T
Vast improvements in public health changed over the past hundred years. We now have antibiotics, so people don't die from simple infections; clean water and food, so people don't die from food poisoning and communicable disease; vaccines for preventable diseases like smallpox, polio, whooping cough, etc., so people live longer; regular dental cleaning and health, so people don't lose their teeth at a young age, so they're able to eat well.

As these preventable causes of severe illness and death have been conquered by public health improvements, cancer, a particularly stubborn problem, with many causes, rises to the top of causes of death. It's predictable.

Last edited:
Babies are born with certain cancers.
Death is our ultimate destination, forgetting to live or not getting free from fears impairs the only one shot at a life we get.

Agreed 200% gerardj.

People's behavior about this covid thing, it speaks volumes. See them alone in their cars with masks on, or in an open space where you don't need it. Washing hands 33 times a day. Wiping off door handles before touching.

And this is nothing new, immunocompromised people have been doing it for years. You have seen some here and there, unless you live in a ... I dunno.

I noticed, but didn't think of it until this virus thing came along. Saw them about a couple times a year. Then out of sight, out of mind. THOSE people are not going borderline OCD, they were specifically told they have to do this.

To what length do each of us go ?

I won't use Roundup, it is a carcinogen.
I won't eat sugar.
I won't eat or cook with hydrogenated.
Soy is in sauce - Soy Sauce. Only way it is fit for Man.

Is that OCD ? It is not as easy to make a pie crust. I have had more trouble doing it every (zero) time. And for other things, suet and lard, well in my case bacon grease. You have to make that.

Is thinking and focusing on this now OCD ? YIKES !

T

Back
Top Bottom