Do you use paper plates?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Do you use paper plates? Poll

• Total voters
I only use paper plates as cake or cookies trays for giving away at Christmas, Easter or Birthdays.

I use them in the obvious places... when we are having a crowd in an informal setting or gathering and don't want to have 2 or more loads for the dishwasher. I hate it when I'm still working on the aftermath of a party a day after the event.

We also use them occasionally when camping - like if we are having a quick breakfast before packing up to move to a new campground. Easier to just rinse out the CI pan and toss a couple of forks in the sink to wash later at supper.

We don't use them a lot. We had 50 or 60 plates and some plastic cups and utensils left over after a big yard party about 20 years ago. 14 years later we gave the last of it away when we were packing to move to the Bahamas. I do try to minimize my landfill contributions when possible.

I use the same paper plate for sandwiches several days in a row. If it's something sloppy, it goes on a real plate.

Should say in Sweden paper plates are put in the recycle bin for cardboard so I dont add to the landfill.

I keep coated paper plates at arms reach in the kitchen. I don't buy expensive paper plates. I look for very inexpensive.
There are so many other uses for them besides eating on them.
They are great for cooking utensils as I'm cooking.
I use them a lot at lunch time.
Work great in the microwave.
We have those basket type (weaved type) plate holders so they can be used for some meals. Some, but not all meals.

I use plastic baskets and bi-fold wax sheets for many things as well. I just had pot stickers in one. Enough room for the food and a small dipping bowl.

Anything to make kitchen chores easier, I'm totally up for. I love to cook, but hate to wash dishes.

We never use them for our dinners, but almost always for lunch. Like PF, if it's for a sandwich sometimes for several days.

I find them very useful for food prep (mise en place).

I keep the heavy weight paper plates between skillets for storage, the very thin ones for between fine china plates.

I'm not concerned about landfills with paper plates but I think styrofoam plates should be outlawed.

I'm assuming the question refers to using them at home. Although I have used them (I mean, obviously, I think everyone has used paper plates at some point), I voted "never" because I don't use them around the house. The last time I bought any was for a cookout at a park. That was maybe two years ago, and I still have the leftovers sitting in the cupboard.

I agree with Roadfix. Costco paper plates are sturdy. I bought what may amount to a 17 year supply. I gave a stack to the kids to cushion between their regular dishes when they were packing to move to their new house, plus about a week ahead DIL informed the kitchen was closing for the duration.

I gave another stack to Dx for summer picnics/ cook outs. And I still have a lot.

I use paper for lunch, sandwiches mostly, unless it's something gloopy.
Yes, they get re-used several days in a row.

Dinners in front of the tv/ sports. Pizza. Back yard.

I would like to step up my game and find some of those oval plastic baskets with paper liners that bars use when they serve burgers/ fries/ wings etc.

I like real dishes. Makes me feel grown up. I also like to use the good China for holiday dinners. SO sill sometimes try to put out paper for dessert but I resist. Since I do the dishes, no one complains.

I voted 'sometimes'. I almost always have a stack of coated 'designed' paper plates (I feel like they're not quite as bad as the plain white, silly, I know :LOL:), but it still takes me a long time to go through a package.

As others have mentioned, I too only use them for sandwiches, or a cold quick snack. Often Tyler will want a mid afternoon snack of sliced apples or carrots, or a cookie or two, and that's when the paper plates get pulled out as well. He doesn't care.

Funny...as Andy said, I NEVER use paper plates for dinner. But then again, I always have dinner seated at the dining room table, even though it's just me. :)

Fun thread, Kay!

Last edited:
I use paper plates to re-heat things in the microwave -- sometimes as a lid over a bowl when I'm heating something that will splatter. I'll also sometimes use them to eat from, if I'm having a burger or sandwich. I don't use a lot of them, because they can be a waste of money, and they are no good for something like steak -- they aren't sturdy enough.

Now, on a related product, I use very few paper towels. I have a large supply of terry and microfiber towels I get cheap from the automotive section at COSTCO, and wash them to reuse over-and-over. Here again, it is a money saver. Plus, they work much better for cleanups than paper towels.

As for environmental concerns, I live in Texas, and folks here are proud of their "carbon footprints" and pass laws and do things just to piss off the "tree-huggers." For me, conservation is more about saving MY money. If it helps the planet, that is a coincidental bonus.

CD

Very rarely.

I never like spending money on things that are intended to be thrown away after a single use. About the only exception is TP and an occasional roll of paper towels.

I agree with CD, sometimes being cheap and being green go hand in hand.

We use them for larger parties, especially if there'll be a lot of kids. Not for the special holiday parties with just family, like Thanksgiving or Christmas, but when we have summer bbqs, or my son's team's meetings and parties.

So I voted "sometimes".

And yes, they get recycled. I still beat my neighbors every week by putting out 2 full garbage cans of recyclables, while they sometimes don't put out anything at all. I'm hoping to shame them into saving the planet, lol.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom