Do you use Tivo or a DVR?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Do you have a Tivo or DVR?

• Total voters

GB

Chief Eating Officer
I have a DVR (we call it Tivo even though it is not). It has changed the way I watch TV forever. it is one of those things that we now find ourselves saying how did we live without this.

So what about you? Do you Tivo?

i have 2 tivo's and a utv (ultimate tv)...cant imaging living without them!!

in about a month...dtv is coming out with their hi-def tivo that get the local channels in hi-def...i cant wait for that!! im getting it the second it comes out!!

bring on football season!!!!

I actually built a PC using a technology called MythTV (Free & Opensource) that with the right equipment will allow you to operate your TV exactly like a DVR only with more capabilities without every paying a monthly subscription.

Some of the features I like and use are:
- Basic Live TV Functionality (Pause, Rewind, etc)
- Using the Menu Guide and Recording a season of my shows
- Commercial Detection & Skipping
- Picture in Picture
- Burn Recorded Programs to DVD
- Quick access to Weather.com Local Data
- MP3 Playing System
- Picture Viewing System
- DVD Player
- And my RSS News Feed

I figure my investment was around $500.00. But I have no monthly fees and never will. I get my program guide automatically through the Myth box.. I have unlimited potential on HD space and total recordings. I like it..

If you want to learn more about it, check out www.MythTV.org..

Last edited:
Funny you should mention this at this point in time. I can't really vote because technically I have a TiVo - it's in the trunk of the car waiting to go to the post office to be returned. The concept is good, and it certainly looks like the product is good, but after spending 11 hours(!!!) on the phone with the TiVo people, we concluded that it just won't work with our existing cable service. We could upgrade and possibly get it to function properly, but that would mean upgrading our existing cable service, which is another fee, along with the TiVo fee. I'm sure that our cable service knew this all along, but they offer a DVR service too, so they made it functionally impossible to do what we wanted with the TiVo product. As it turns out, we will probably go with their DVR, since that is our only choice. I'm sure it will work fine, and I look forward to trying it.

BC

What on earth are you guys talking about???? Translation please!!!

I have a dvd player, and a vcr player. God vcr sounds ancient now, much like record players, cassettes, and 8 track players :LOL: Wow, I feel old:ROFLMAO:

amber said:
I have a dvd player, and a vcr player. God vcr sounds ancient now, much like record players, cassettes, and 8 track players :LOL: Wow, I feel old:ROFLMAO:

Yep, me too, DVD and VCR!! We just got the DVD player last year, LOL.
I also have radios that play the cassette and 8 tracks and I have a record player too.:LOL: The kid at the Circuit City kept looking at us like we were crazy when we asked for the record player. He really seemed not to understand what we were wanting. We finally found one and it was full of dust:ROFLMAO:

Well, I'll be getting my local cable company's version of TiVo tomorrow. I can't wait to try it. I got a DVD recorder for my birthday, so this should open up a whole new world of TV for me!

BC

I would love TiVo but we have a DVD Recorder that does just about everything a DVR does. It even fast forwards live TV (which comes in handy for side-bets on football games when you can fast-forward 3 hours into the future and see who won the game before it starts LOL!!)

~ Raven ~

Back
Top Bottom