Do you wear an apron in the kitchen?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chef Kat

Cook
I've always worn one, much to the amusement of my family and friends. I must have a dozen different ones and even got into the business of making them several years ago. I'm currently working on a big order for a friend, who is giving them to all her son's teachers for Christmas.

On regular days no but when I get into the kitchen for big jobs (like holiday cookies) and I know I'll be in the kitchen ALL DAY, then I wear one. I have 3 that I bought at Sam's club so they are restaurant style.

According to SO, who is responsible for getting stains out of my shirts, not often enough.

No, but I do try to remember to wear a shirt that has already had oil splashed on it and is stained.

I used to.Bbut I got out of the habit. If I had a husband, it would be all i would be wearing when he comes home from work.

My sister had a bunch of the kind your grandmother wore. I think they are called 'bib' style. You have to put it on over your head and put your arms though the arm holes. It always had a pocket and like all grandmothers, she always had a hanky in it. If she was going to have company or it was holiday time, she would wear a fancy half one that ties around your waist. Her good china had a green band on the plates and her fancy ones had to match the color. The whole family teased her all the time about her aprons. And she always ironed her aprons. :angel:

in a professional kitchen they often make u wear an apron. cooking here, huh-uh. i bought 2 embroidered ones from w/s & used 'em a few times before they went into a container somewhere in the other living room, here.

I used to.Bbut I got out of the habit. If I had a husband, it would be all i would be wearing when he comes home from work.
:angel:

LOL, Addie! May be time for a new husband!

I have some antique aprons I've hung on pegs as decoration. I find my old sweatshirts to be acceptable kitchen couture. I have some utilitarian aprons I made if I'm wearing clothes that need protection.

Last edited:
Depends on what I'm doing. For the most part, I'm a tidy cook but when I'm into a task that will splatter/spit, I wear an apron.

When I am up to my elbows in flour, I always wear an apron. That's because invariably when flour and I are in the same solar system I'm wearing black or navy blue.

I sew a lot and collect vintage patterns, some of which are wonderful aprons from the '20s and '30s and I've made several of them to use. I love them. They do what I think an apron should do...cover you so your clothes are protected.

If I am making anything that has a chance of being messy, I put on an apron. I have two; one red and one black, and I bought both of them at the kitchen supply store because the strings are long enough to tie them in the front!

In school we were required to wear an apron which was probably a very good thing. I have both full and half types but prefer the full. And I iron mine too. ;)

The ones I make have ties long enough to cross at the waist in back and then tie in the front. That tie at the side is a perfect place to hold a towel.

I never understood the half apron. If I get food on my clothes, it's usually in the bosom area so those half aprons don't keep me clean! My mom used a smock style that slipped over her head and tied on the sides at the waist. Covered the entire upper body and had plenty of pockets for things. Don't see those kind much anymore.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom