Does anyone dress vintage?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jkath

Hospitality Queen
Just wondering if we have any vintage-wearers around here. Long story short, the 40s-50s are a new hobby of mine.

tweedsforspring41.jpg

Ooooh I love vintage!!! But I don't own much of it any more :neutral: I'm always scouring second hand shops (and when I was in Canada garage sales - they don't really have those here) for neat finds. Back home in Canada (my dear sweet mom is holding on to it for me) I have a beautiful long black (winter) coat with a wide "skirt" style bottom that I got second hand, in excellent condition, in Calgary. I'm not sure of the exact age, but it could be vintage based on the style. I miss that coat so much, but it was too heavy to bring given the tiny weight allowances that airlines give you.

When I was little I was madly passionate about vintage clothes. Mom made me two poodle skirts and I lived in them. I also loved anything that looked Victorian (still do) and was always playing "old fashioned" dress up. Hopefully one day I'll get the chance to get more retro pieces - I just adore the look!

My son used to date a girl who wore all vintage clothes and shoes. She was always well dressed, but I was slightly amused to see someone that young dressed like my mother had when she was young. Mom was quite a looker and she and her sister were always dressed elegantly. I wish I had some of her clothes - I'd have to lose a few pounds to get into them.

I've always had a thing for older rhinestone jewelry, but now the furs and dresses are getting fun. Jessica - can your mom send you the coat?
Alix, we need the photo!
licia - isn't it nice when a girl dresses like a....girl?!

I think it would be very expensive, we've talked about it, but I want her to keep it there in case, one day when we return to Canada (heaven willing) it'll be there for me. Otherwise I worry what if I had it here, and again the airline weight limit prevented me from taking it back, then I'd be forced to give it up and I wouldn't want that to happen - if that makes sense, lol :) (I have a name for it, I call it my "princess coat".)

jkath said:
Just wondering if we have any vintage-wearers around here. Long story short, the 40s-50s are a new hobby of mine.

Well, at some of the homebrew conferences, our brewclub has been know to trade on the area's Purple Gang history...

purplegang.jpg

John

I am not sure what you call mine, But I do like that stuff. I wish I had my Leisure Suit and Dingo Boots Still oh and Platform Shoes but then thats not that old !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :LOL:

ronjohn~!
I have a real photo that yours reminds me of. (I think of some great great uncles or something like that....)Oh I wish I knew which box it was in! As soon as I find it, I'll post it.

I have a lot of 60s clothes that I bought in the King's Road, Chelsea and in Carnaby Street. I have original Biba, Mary Quant, Zandra Rhodes and other English designers. I also have original Courrege white boots and other 60s style shoes. Younger relatives often raid my attic when they have theme parties to go to!

Yes, I just can't bear to part with them. They get dry-cleaned and hung in mothproof bags in a wardrobe in the attic... I've got 2 black and white PVC raincoats that were so stiff that when you sat down, the front swun up (sort of like a very short crinoline!). I have Dr Zhivago style dresses and coats (very popular here in about 69 or 70, I think).

A girl after my own heart. I love vintage clothing. I'm always on the look for it at thrift stores, flea markets and estate sales. The best part is when people come up to me wanting to know where I bought something and their shock when I tell them its vintage and unfort. they'll probably have a hard time finding one like it.

My weakness is jewelry, spring/summer dresses, coats and jackets. I love clothing and jewelry from 30's, 40's, 60's, 70's and 80's.

I have a collection of various pieces of jewelry. The black glass jewelry (mourning jewelry) is one of my favorites. In fact, I finally had to start restraining myself when it came to buying these pieces as I have a vast collection already. However, I love the boho and rhinestone jewelry also.

SizzlininIN said:
I have a collection of various pieces of jewelry. The black glass jewelry (mourning jewelry) is one of my favorites. In fact, I finally had to start restraining myself when it came to buying these pieces as I have a vast collection already. However, I love the boho and rhinestone jewelry also.
Mourning jewellery, though sad (if you think about it's meaning) is soooo beautiful. I've always been on the look-out for some, but haven't encountered any yet in my price range. Is your's made from real jet, Sizzlin? (I really like cameos and other Victorian jewellery too.)

Back
Top Bottom