Does anyone use a garbage disposal anymore?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Badger 5 disposers are a beast. For his Christmas and Thanksgiving after dinner cleanups, my brother seemingly got his moneys worth. He had it grinding up everything for 15 minutes straight, lol. I was like...wow dude, really? Impressive.

He treated it like a workhorse and had to replace one that wore out. He had to use the disposer reset button sometimes. No wonder. :LOL:

Last edited:
Is this because you cannot have one where you live?

I rent a room and I really doubt they'd let us have one here, even if I bought and installed it. I can't wait to move to my lot where I can BBQ and start a garden and compost stuff.

Love the pics of the dogs!

Actually, in the 80s I called the garbage disposal Old Faithful and the dog's nickname was Garbage Disposal. I never had any waste when I had him.

I'm surprised that so many people have GDs though. I can't remember the last time I actually saw one in someone's kitchen. I wondered if it was a regional thing.

I favor disposals for some leftover foods that otherwise would go in the kitchen trash can and start to ferment or start moving on their own after a few days. :ohmy:

I favor disposals for some leftover foods that otherwise would go in the kitchen trash can and start to ferment or start moving on their own after a few days. :ohmy:

LOL That reminds of something Erma Bombeck wrote in one of her books once: "I opened the fridge door and a leftover reached for me..."

I have a disposal, but most of its "food" is whatever I rinse from the dishes after the bulky stuff goes into the garbage can. We don't have a compost pile because there isn't a convenient place to put it...and I'm too lazy to bother with it anyway, since I'd have to tick-spray myself to get to it and tick check once I got back. :glare: Besides, if I did composting, we would have almost nothing to toss into our bi-weekly trash pick-up service. We'd be basically paying $11 per pick-up for a few tissues and some little bit of misc. packaging from the two weeks. As it is, the total sum of our trash is, maybe, 1/3 of a cart...maybe.

Comedy relief: Should you run hot water or cold water when you run your disposal? Some site had this plumber's
blog who said you should always run COLD water when running a disposal. What's funny is that he had some long drawn out scientific explanation as to why (to avoid a drain clog). :LOL:

Last edited:
I rented a flat/apartment in the 1970s which had one. I thought it was the bee's knees. It was very noisy and the neighbours in the building complained. Never had one since and when I renovated the kitchen in my first "owned" house I never thought about installing one. By then they had lost a bit of kudos - they were accused of not being environmentally friendly - extravagant use of water (and the cost thereof if you live in a country or state where water use is metered or naturally ), ditto electricity. Maintenance was expensive too if they broke down.

I don't think I know anyone these days,who has one, apart from one friend who has a "dead" one she's never replaced and doesn't intend having one installed in her pending kitchen re-model.

Where live now there is a highly complicated system of refuse bins and woe betide you if you mix them up! I made a mistake once and was lectured by one of the refuse men in front of the pupils from the college up the road. As I regularly make them pick up their litter as the walk up the lane to and from college they really enjoyed my discomfort!

Comedy relief: Should you run hot water or cold water when you run your disposal? Some site had this plumber's
blog who said you should always run COLD water when running a disposal. What's funny is that he had some long drawn out scientific explanation as to why (to avoid a drain clog). :LOL:

According to the manufacturer's directions for my GD, always run the GD with full force cold water. It acts as a lubricant and washes all the food particles on down the line so they don't clog. As the GD is metal parts spinning around at a high rate of speed they generate heat on their own and need to be kept cool.

Ive tried to compost 3 times in the past 10 years and every time mice infested it so no more. It goes down the GD or into the trash.

According to the manufacturer's directions for my GD, always run the GD with full force cold water. It acts as a lubricant and washes all the food particles on down the line so they don't clog. As the GD is metal parts spinning around at a high rate of speed they generate heat on their own and need to be kept cool.

Ah. Then that guy might be right, lol. Use cold water when using disposal.

Last edited:
I've had one in every house I've lived in for the past 40 years except now! Our new home does not have one and I'm missing it! Once we can sell our old home, that's one of the things on my list for this place. I also want to replace the kitchen sink. This one is ceramic and I prefer stainless steel sinks in the kitchen. I used mine for scraping bits from plates and pans, leftover bits of prepped veggies, and those leftovers that go bad in the fridge. It would get used nearly every day. I don't garden so no compost pile. Don't plan on starting any time soon because I tend to kill plants rather quickly.

Ive tried to compost 3 times in the past 10 years and every time mice infested it so no more. It goes down the GD or into the trash.

Oh, I hadn't thought of that. I'll be living without electricity, so I wanted to compost everything, but being out in the boonies, I'll probably have mice all over. And if I don't have mice, I'll have coyotes.

I'm just grateful Western Washington doesn't have any venomous snakes. I had enough of the rattlesnakes in California.

Back
Top Bottom