Dog Lovers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

In the Kitchen

Executive Chef
AS you may know I love animals. Have been looking for the right companion for my 12 year old dog. He has many problems and recently lost two of his friends to diabetes. Real heartache. I have been looking on different sites, trying to avoid going to shelters as I am weakling that cannot choose one over all. I looked on craigslist today and saw a film dedicated to people spaying their animals. I am not going to post the link as it really was a downer but I also know that the purpose of the film is to impress on the importance of getting your pets fixed. I will mention it was produced by Brighton films. Nothing bothers me more than ruining a life that does no harm.

Thanks for allowing me to share this sorrow with you. I know some of you all feel the way I do. Maybe one day there will be law to have this stopped.

Are you talking about no kill shelters or talking about a law on fixing your pets.

EDIT

Sorry bout the loss, mate.. We had a 23 year old cat, an 18 year old cat and a 15 year old dog we ad to put to sleep all with in the same year. kinda sucked. the cat is older than me.

Last edited:
:)Im a big believer in spaying and neutering its no differrent then getting your tubes tied or getting a vascectomy(sp?)

I haven't seen the film, but I'm guessing it showed the fate of all those unwanted puppies and kittens. When we have a pet put down, they give them a shot, but that's expensive.

I'll just leave it there.

Cans

the film was giving all the reasons why you should spay your pets. It was so horrible. Had so many cats and dogs in big barrels, all dead. Gave statistics but who wants to remember. Showed all the animals that were in cages waiting to be 'taken care of'. I really don't know how someone could sleep after doing a job like this? My vet prefers that I leave the dog but I do stay and he puts them to sleep and later he does what he has to do. LT72884 that is real loss. Please accept my sympathy. Like your heart is torn out of you. Losing them all same year, wow. Like they wanted to be together! My little guy just is so anxious when I go and then he rests so much when I am here. Must not relax until he knows I am around. Being deaf and now losing his sight, I will wait until he doesn't show any emotion before I do anything. He does enjoy playing and eating so that is still good sign. Now if only could find right friend. Won't give up.

Wow. I’d suggest never watching any kind of movie like that again! If you even think it’s remotely like that, turn it off.

Things can’t be “un-seen”, and once you see some things, they haunt you. There are simply things out there that you really should never see. I once saw a documentary on HBO. They were showing that in Asia, there are still places that eat cats and dogs. I can’t believe they were allowed to film some of this stuff, let alone the fact that people did this kind of stuff.

I won’t go into details, but there were scenes and images in that documentary that I really wish I hadn’t seen.....and that was 6 or more years ago.

A few years back our neighbors had an older dog, a Sheltie. They wanted to get another dog, but not one that would aggravate or annoy the older one. They found a breed called Cavalier Prince Charles Spaniel (or something like that, it's a mouthful) that is known to cohabitate well with older dogs. So that is what they got. The spaniel did well as a puppy w/o irritating the older dog. It's a beautiful breed of dog. They went online to do their research and to locate one.

Yeah, they're pretty docile dogs and if I'm not mistaken... and I often am :ermm:, the most "painted" dog in history.

It's really a tough call getting a companion animal a companion animal. You could wind up with just the opposite that you're after. My quiet house has been turned upside down with the addition of a puppy, but then, I didn't get the puppy for my other two either, so they will just have to accept things. You don't want your older pet to feel "threatened" or "left out" as you train your puppy and you also don't want the puppy to become animal bonded and not people bonded. You would be doing the puppy an injustice (of sorts) to expect him to keep your geriatric dog company.

If I were in your shoes I would try to adopt an older dog from a foster home that already has more than one dog. A dog you know is laid back with others and won't take up a lot of your time with training, just acclimating. There are lots of private rescue organizations that should be able to work with you if you don't want to take your chances on a shelter dog.

Your dog is 12, and my opinion would be to simply take him/her to a local park to socialize with other dogs, or try out a daycare for dogs for play time and socializing. Your dog may feel like he is getting old and being replaced should you introduce another dog to the home.

Thoughts

I thank you all so very much for your interest in my little guy. Your suggestions surely show what good loving people you are. They are things i really never thought about. He is trying to find the neighbor's dog when he goes outside. He must miss the companionship of another dog. He cannot hear and his sight getting bad and breaks my heart to see how he tries to find her. Smells constantly. You talk about heart breaker!

Maybe finding another older dog would be solution. I sure don't want him to ever think he could be replaced. If something is within my 'power' you can believe I will find something to help him. someone suggested taking him for walk. Can't do that anymore.

Once again, I thank you for the time and suggestions. pacanis, I am grateful you aren't giving up on this dog. Must be some adjustment that must be made. One thing you never know the personality of a dog. Like people.

I think an older dog is a lovely idea. A lot of the dogs in shelters are their because their "master" has passed on. My neighbor just adopted a 12 year old dog that survived his human family.

"A lot of the dogs in shelters are their because their "master" has passed on."

....Or their owner was forced to move into a retirement home and the family doesn't want the dog. Sad situation....

It really is. When my daughter was killed, she had two dogs that were devoted to her. Everything was in a big mess at that time, and I'm not really sure what happened to them.
A friend of hers told me later that the female, a border collie mix named Kilo, was at his sisters farm in Georgia, and had just had a littler of nine pups. (She was quite prolific.)
He had kept the male, a black lab/German shepherd mix named Radar, but said he had heart worms.

I had a pup from Kilo and a chow, my furry, brown and beloved Maggie dog...and another from Kilo and Radar, a big, black clumsy beast who looked like an over-grown black lab and liked to bite strangers.
They were both full time outdoor dogs, although I'd put Maggie inside the garage with some blankets when it got down in the teens. Black dog wouldn't go.

Maggie lived a long life, sixteen years, but the black dog died of heart worms when he was about eight.

Sorry...gettin' a little mushy, thinking about my Maggie dog. She had the biggest heart I've ever seen. :(

Last edited:
Oh, dearie me. Yes, if you do not want puppies, of course you spay and neuter. But then I had myself spayed (haha) when I was 29. I did have my elder (now dear departed) doggie spayed after one litter, because she was such a good dog that I wanted another, and several people wanted puppies by her. Every puppy had a taker, even though they were mutts (Jack Russell mixes). As far as I'm concerned, spayed or neutered animals are better pets; much more likely to stay at home. Even then it is not a guarantee (yes, I'm the one who lost my puppy for 8 days). But I do have to say; when Keiki leaves us (she's 14) it will be the last animal for awhile. I'm tired of mopping up (old dogs lose their continence), and she's broken my heart once already. By the way, my vet was thrilled when I took her in last week. She went from 14 lbs to 9 lbs (after her week in the wild) and is now up to 13 1/2. Her coat is as good as it gets, and 'though she is a pain in the patootie, she's our girl.

Oh, by the way, we were visiting friends who had small terriers, one of whom died a few weeks ago. I asked if the remaining dog mourned, and they were very happy to know someone actually understood this. Yes, dogs do mourn, be it an animal companion or a human friend.

We lost our darling Frodo a week ago this last Sunday. He was in kidney failure, couldn't pee, and we had to give him an enema so he could poo. The vet tried everything - but there was nothing we could do but end his suffering. My heart is still breaking, and I wish he was still here - but I know he's at the Rainbow Bridge waiting for us with our first Pug, Norman.

Walter, Fancie, and Daisy all seem subdued and the first night Frodo was gone the cat cried and searched the bedroom for him all night.

I don't think we'll replace him, 3 is enough for now. :(

the film was giving all the reasons why you should spay your pets. It was so horrible. Had so many cats and dogs in big barrels, all dead. Gave statistics but who wants to remember. Showed all the animals that were in cages waiting to be 'taken care of'. I really don't know how someone could sleep after doing a job like this? My vet prefers that I leave the dog but I do stay and he puts them to sleep and later he does what he has to do. LT72884 that is real loss. Please accept my sympathy. Like your heart is torn out of you. Losing them all same year, wow. Like they wanted to be together! My little guy just is so anxious when I go and then he rests so much when I am here. Must not relax until he knows I am around. Being deaf and now losing his sight, I will wait until he doesn't show any emotion before I do anything. He does enjoy playing and eating so that is still good sign. Now if only could find right friend. Won't give up.
Oh boy, i think i have seen a movie simular to that. A few years ago in high school we had to do a project in front of the class that had something to do with statements or ethics america has. The teacher assigned the groups topics and my friends ended up with animal rights. My mom being members of 4 different animal right groups was able to help with some information. They showed a movie about a slaughter house and how they were extremely mean to the animals before they killed them. They would torture the momma and baby pigs with shockers and throwing cinder blocks at them and crushing there skulls. it was so sad to watch. To bad that there are people like that in this world. I say with a slaughter house that you should kill the animal as fast and humanly as possible. They have feelings to. yeah it sucked when we had to put down our animals. The dog stopped eating and drinking so we knew it was time. the cat was 23 and stopped eating as well and so did the other cat. The lil mini blue Merl that we had had kidney failure and so she was put to sleep. at least our genie pig is doing great. fat lil thing though

Ellen DeGeneres

did anyone just see Ellen on Yahoo today? Evidently they have tape of her crying about the dog she got from rescue group and she couldn't keep it so gave it to a family. The rescue group came and took the dog from the family because Ellen signed a paper that said if she couldn't keep it to return it to them. She is so emotional. I am sitting here crying because she is all broken up. The way dogs can affect you. Your position doesn't matter the love they give is so powerful. Anyone see her show today? Wow.

After loosing 3 dogs i said enough is enough. I can't handle it anymore.

On the other matter, but dog related. Did you see Ellen's crying on the show about the dog? How crazy is it? They took the dog back to shelter, back into the cage and probably on the way to be killed, instead of giving it to the family. Un f*****g beliveble, grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Back
Top Bottom