Dog Meat Popular With N. Korean Women

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kleenex

Master Chef
http://wcbstv.com/watercooler/watercooler_story_222025405.html

(AP) SEOUL, South Korea Dog meat is increasingly popular among women in North Korea because the traditional Korean delicacy is believed to be good for the skin, a pro-Pyongyang newspaper in Japan reported Wednesday.

Dog meat has long been regarded as a stamina food in both Koreas, widely consumed on hot summer days in particular.

North Korea is believed to have a greater variety of dishes with dog meat, known in the North as "sweet meat." South Korean gourmets who have tried the delicacy in the North, say Northern dishes taste better.

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM:chef: :chef: :chef:

:sick: Poor dogs. Making note to myself, If I ever go to Korea, dont eat "sweet meat". Dont get me wrong, I'm sure some people love it as do those ladies apparently.

Of course, over here some of us eat reptiles (alligator, rattlesnake, turtles), rodents (squirrels), marsupials (possums), other critters (raccoons), and offal (intestines and testicles). Yummy! And if you live near a highway, it's already tenderized!

Last edited:
wasabi

do you believe how these people enjoy making fun of eating them? Here in the states they abuse the dogs and cats, is that any different than eating them? Heard of some creep who pulled the head off of his girlfriends kitten. You know where he is? Jail. Hope he thinks about it for LONG time.

In the Kitchen said:
do you believe how these people enjoy making fun of eating them? Here in the states they abuse the dogs and cats, is that any different than eating them? Heard of some creep who pulled the head off of his girlfriends kitten. You know where he is? Jail. Hope he thinks about it for LONG time.

You're comparing mainstream culture to deviant culture. Not applicable

Last edited:
I agree with Wasabi !!
Our little Chi's are like our baby's to us except that they are sooooo spoiled.

We need to remember that not all cultures are the same and we need to respect that. There are MANY things that we do in the USA that are just as disgusting to other cultures as eating dog or cat is to us.

Eating cow is now only disgusting to some, it is sacrilegious. The USA has no problem with that though. We need to accept other cultures for what they are and not try to impose our morals on them.

unless they have oil. :cool:

i work with and am good friends with a korean engineer, who's tried dog meat. he had it while on maneuvers in the south korean army. someone in his patrol was tired of their rations, and stole a stray dog from a nearby village. the poor pup was made into a thick stew. my friend, young choi, said he had some so as not to look wimpy, and couldn't really tell that it was different than any other normally consumed meat.

according to guys i know that covered the olympics when it was in korea in '88, dogs were not a very popular dish there, except in some remote rural places. so i guess the people ate them just like many here in the rural areas of the u.s. eat "odd" critters", as fryboy had mentioned.

when young choi came to the u.s., we took him to his first yankee game, during which he noticed "hot dog" at the vendors carts. when we all ordered them, he joined in.
as the hot dogs were being passed down the row of seats and finally got to young choi, he remarked "i'm sorry. do i have to eat that part of the dog?"

you never know when he's kidding...

buckytom said:
according to guys i know that covered the olympics when it was in korea in '88, dogs were not a very popular dish there, except in some remote rural places. so i guess the people ate them just like many here in the rural areas of the u.s. eat "odd" critters", as fryboy had mentioned.
I seem to remember that during those olympic games, the Koreans played down their dog consumption. Most markets stopped selling it and it was not very widely available so as not to offend the countries that were not used to dog being used for food.

I'm fairly adventurous when it comes to trying different things, and if my children were starving, I guess I'd feed them any way I could, but I'd have to be awfully desparate to cook a dog.
Dogs are so intelligent, and they have so much heart...to me, they're like fuzzy people who can't talk. (Although my little Chloe sure tries!)

GB said:
We need to remember that not all cultures are the same and we need to respect that. There are MANY things that we do in the USA that are just as disgusting to other cultures as eating dog or cat is to us.

Eating cow is now only disgusting to some, it is sacrilegious. The USA has no problem with that though. We need to accept other cultures for what they are and not try to impose our morals on them.

Precisely. Thanks for expanding on fryboy's post. Both comments are important reminders about cultural differences and hopefully deflect any unintentional promotion of negative stereotypes.

Back
Top Bottom