Dogs in grocery stores

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cookieee

Sous Chef
DH just came back from Publix complaining about seeing two carts with dogs IN them, and not the first time. He says that almost every trip there he sees this. And they are not wearing service vests .

I called Publix and talked with Customer Service. I was told that dogs are not allowed in the carts, and if they are not wearing service vests,they are not allowed to ask to see their license, but they can ask them to remove them from the carts.

I know there are a lot of dog lovers here, but what is your opinion on this subject?

I'm a big time dog lover, but they don't belong in food shopping carts for sure. Then again, when I think of little kids diapered butts in them I get a little queasy too. :LOL:

I'm a big time dog lover, but they don't belong in food shopping carts for sure. Then again, when I think of little kids diapered butts in them I get a little queasy too. :LOL:

Exactly, the first thing I thought of was DOG BUTTS!!!

Women, just think of how many times you have put your purse there, not to mention your children.

Last edited:
Unless they're service animals, they don't belong in grocery stores, whether they're in carts or not. I saw a guy with a dog on a leash near the butcher section in the Kroger I go to once. I spoke to him and he laughed and said it was a service dog. I asked where its vest was and he said it was new and hadn't gotten it yet. I reported it to the staff - not even a manager, just the first employee I came across - and they were horrified. They called the manager who took care of it.

Last edited:
Service dogs don't have to wear vests. But a true service dog would never be riding in a shopping cart, they'd be walking with and assisting their person. Sounds like what your DH encountered were “emotional support” animals, which could be anything from a dog to a snake or a peacock. They don't have to be licensed, but licenses are easy to get online.

Unless it's a true service dog who would be assisting or, if at a restaurant, lying quietly under the table, I'm not a big fan of animals in eating/grocery establishments.

Last edited:
I want an emotional support lobster. He would travel with me and keep me company as I hold his little rubber banded claw.

And if I get hungry, I just need some boiling water and butter.

I want an emotional support lobster. He would travel with me and keep me company as I hold his little rubber banded claw.

And if I get hungry, I just need some boiling water and butter.

Just when I think you and DH MUST be related (he's crazy also) you come up with this. Now I want an emotional support lobster. lol

Some of you probably should never eat at my house. A dog wanders around the kitchen all the time. :ohmy:;)

CD

Yes, but you know where your dog's butt has been, and how often it is cleaned...

(yeah, I said it. :cool:)

Yes, but you know where your dog's butt has been, and how often it is cleaned...

(yeah, I said it. :cool:)

My dog keeps his butt pretty clean, and we all know how dogs clean there butts... and then we let them give us "kisses" us on the face.

I have a customer who is a germaphobe. He will NOT touch the door handle of a men's room door without a papper towell, but he will use door handles in other parts of the same building bare handed. Go figure. :rolleyes::LOL:

CD

Back
Top Bottom