Dogs in purses: does it annoy you too?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Do dogs in purses bother you?

• Total voters
My little Dove is so quiet and loves to ride in a bicycle basket attached to the front of my handicapped scooter. She just fits..if she gains anymore weight I'll pull her behind me in a wheel barrow!! LOL She is over 8 pounds and that is fat for a Chihuahua.
I'll bet that's the cutest sight, Marge! She doesn't try to jump out?

My SIL (brother's wife) brings her dogs everywhere! The little one in a bag, the big one on a leash. Except to my house. She doesn't bring them anymore. :)
She likes her dogs more than children, she cringes when my kids want to play with the dogs. The children may dirty the dogs. ?????
She is not a Paris Hilton type, she's more of a tree-hugger hippie type. (I am not using that as a derogatory comment. Hold your tongue.)
If one of my kids were drowning next to one of her dogs, she'd let my kid go.
They are not having children, thank goodness.

It doesn't bother me to see a person with a dog in a carrier, whether it's a purse or the kind that straps to their belly. What bothers me is if they take their dog someplace where larger dogs that have to walk can't go. And if they don't get reminded of the law if they do. I don't believe in breed discrimination because a small dog is "cuter".

Petsmart type stores are great places to take your dog for socialization. They have a new, strange environment to deal with (carts, electric doors), they have new people to deal with and they have other pets to deal with. IMO this is why Europe is so far ahead of us as far as dogs are concerned. People can take their dogs anywhere, so they have to learn to behave and be social.
As long as you feel your dog is protected I wouldn't worry about it, but you do run a risk. The same risk you run sitting in a vet's waiting room with your pet.

If your dog can fit in a carry on bag (sherpa carrier), they can ride with the passengers on a plane. They are supposed to remain in the bag though. Lots of people travel with new puppies or small dogs this way. It keeps them out of the cargo hold and it's much cheaper. Typically shipping a dog cargo costs more than a person's plane ticket for the same flight.
Seems like there was something else I wanted to reply to...... oh well :(

Anyway, if a person wants to carry their pet to be with it, that's cool.
If the pet is just an ornament, that's not cool, but it should be the same laws for everybody.

As I understand it, dogs and cats fall under the title of livestock. So does that mean a farmer could bring his cow or chicken with him to PetCo or the likes?!?! If the pigs fit in your purse could you take them into the store? Sorry, but pets belong at home unless they are there for your safety ie. seeing eye dogs.

I don't think Petco sells cow or chicken feed, or sweaters for that matter ;), so a farmer would have no need to take these animals in there. Tractor Supply Co may be another story..... especially since they used to sell chickens.

Each state is different, but the ones I know about (which are quite a few) do NOT consider dogs or cats livestock. True, dog laws fall under agriculture, but they have their own section and regulations because they are not livestock. At least in countries that do not eat them for food. Cats are pretty much an afterthought with hardly any regulation.
That is why most states have Dog Law Officers (not to be confused with your county's animal control), but their duties are soley in dealing with dogs, shelters, kennels, but not farms or farm animals.

Hope this helps to separate the two.

I don't have a problem with it as long as the dog is well cared for.

My 2 labs go just about everywhere with me that they are allowed.
They are also exceptionally well behaved when I tell them to be.
I AM Packdaddy.

Unfortunately, many people don't have the oomph to take the time
to train their dogs, so they have hounds that pull them around, run off
when the door opens, beg for food and generally act like dogs, LOL!

My white lab/retriever loves to go to PetSmart. Since they are vaccinated and
flea protected I am not worried.
She will sit in front of the bird cages without moving, except to whine every now and
then. Dog TV, LOL!

No one enjoys an ill-trained dog. Kudos to you for training your dogs well.

years ago, before it was trendy or even done, I took Topeka, my Shihtzu, around everywhere. she was a rare little thing then, a runt to her breeders, way too small of a standard of her breed. she had separation anxiety so in my purse she always was. she even went to the salon with me everyday. everyone loved her and she'd sleep curled up in the owners purse, all day. in the market, to the restaurant, everywhere, she traveled with me in my purse.

I personally don't see it much unless you count in the rags.
I don't care though, it doesn't bother me. I think these poor little celebs are twisted sisters and if that makes them happy to have a tiny dog in tow, so be it. I don't care.

I don't take my dog (border collie-german shepherd mix) out with me except to the occasional PetSmart errand and to the vet. If I'm going to pick up drive through or some other quick stop he'll ride in the back seat and wait in the car. My DH and older DS both are allergic to cats so we are mindful of other people's allergies. When you are out and about you don't know if the person in front of you in line or coming in the door beside you is allergic or not and depending on the severity of the allergy, you may cause them discomfort or worse. THEY don't expect to met with animals while shopping. I always warn folks coming to my house for the first time that I have a dog so if there is a problem we can maybe meet elsewhere. I extend the same courtesy to the folks Im shopping with by not forcing my dog on them.

OK, my reason for disliking dogs in purses is a bit different than most of the responses I see here. I don't care how tiny a dog is, it should still be treated like a DOG not a stuffed toy. They have legs for a reason.

I don't have a problem with either dogs or cats in public places, even in restaurants. However, I would be watching to see that the place they are in is clean. After all, lets face it, how many of us cook in a kitchen with a dog hovering nearby hoping you drop something? Or a cat who quite probably leaps on to the counter when you aren't looking. (I know I have come home to find a bag of bagels completely decimated by the cat)

I feel sorry for the dog! But then I guess maybe it's no different than the Pekinese dog being carried around in the sleeves of their owners.

I've carried my little guy around in a gym bag and taken him places.

He'll fit in a soft carrier to take on an airplane with me, though I've never done it.

It's not the dog-in-purse thing that I object to. It's dog-as-accessory that I find horrifying. Dogs are intelligent living creatures, not some kind of disposable adornment for your outfit.

I carry a dog in my purse. Heh. :ROFLMAO: (not really)

It doesn't really 'bother' me. I think it's a little bit strange, but I used to think it was a little strange that my aunt/uncle family used to bring their little dog with them when they came to visit us. We never took ours anywhere, so I guess I'm just seeing this latest trend as an extension of that, and it's become something of a fashion statement... I guess.

I've carried my little guy around in a gym bag and taken him places.

He'll fit in a soft carrier to take on an airplane with me, though I've never done it.

It's not the dog-in-purse thing that I object to. It's dog-as-accessory that I find horrifying. Dogs are intelligent living creatures, not some kind of disposable adornment for your outfit.

jennyemma, you put very succinctly my thoughts exactly, the dog-as-accessory that I find annoying.

Next Thanksgiving we can expect you to bring your dog then! Isabella would love the company.
Cubbie is all for it--he has seen Isabella's picture! ;):wub::brows::kiss::flowers::in_love:

I agree with the "dogs as an accessory" opinions. If putting your teeny dog in a comfortable bag protects him/her from being trampled to death in crowded situations I don't see a problem with that.

I try to think about others also, but I don't worry about it so much at PetSmart since they are allowed there. Someone with allergies might be a little inconvenienced by having to go to another store, but fortunately I don't think too many people (percentage-wise) are allergic to dogs.

This is off-topic but it touches on the behavior of pets in public--They have a cheap rabies clinic once a year in each of the towns in my county. When I just had one, I took my cat a couple times (in her carrier). I didn't like the way they did it. They had all the animals in one long line. Everything from kittens to pitbulls. The first year I went there were no problems. The second (and last) time I went a pitbull attacked another dog in line (he was on a leash but attacked the dog right next to them in line) and one person's cat ran off when they took it out of the carrier. They got it back, but if mine had ever gotten loose we would have never gotten her back because she was so scared of strangers (The clinic was done at the gazebo at a public park downtown). If they are going to have those clinics, they should have a line for large dogs and a line for small/medium dogs and cats. The idea is good--the implementation isn't always so good.

:)Barbara

I don't care how tiny a dog is, it should still be treated like a DOG not a stuffed toy. They have legs for a reason.
:LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL:

Elf, hope your screen isn't too wet with coffee:ermm:
Want a tiara for your poochie?

I feel so much better that it's not just me! Thank you all for having the common sense to train your dogs. And to expand on one of the earlier postings, I have a relative who did choose her dogs over her child. The father now has the child full time and the mother has her prized dogs. Very very sad indeed.

And while we're on the subject, here's my very well behaved girl:
img_531485_0_c11439de4842c97e154e804b85417f8a.jpg

What a cutie jkath! Cubbie wants to meet her too! He is such a social dog!

Yes it is so sad that someone would choose her dogs over her children. I have heard of that happening before too. Those people should be ashamed of themselves.

:)Barbara

In a word.......YES! However I don't see a lot of that here. On a recent flight from Huntington W. Va. to Atlanta there was a person with a dog in a bag...On the plane!!!
How did that get by??? The flight attendant freaked, but stayed cool. At 10,000 feet and climbing whatch gonna do!!!

How in the heck did that pooch ever get through the security X-ray?

How in the heck did that pooch ever get through the security X-ray?

That was my question AuntDot....It seems however after seeing this thread and doing some reading, Most airlines (a few don't) allow for it as long as it fits into a carry on bag!!!:ermm: There is suppose to be a $50 charge each way(Delta Airlines) but I think this lady "smuggled" it on board! Like I said, the flight attendant was not amused, but said nothing. The little dog stayed stuffed inside the bag, and out of sight during the 1 hour + flight.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom