Don't need no stinkin' smart phone any more!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

roadfix

Chef Extraordinaire
I decided to go back to the old style flip phone. I'm not a heavy phone user, use a pre-paid plan, so all I need to do is to transfer my voice only sim card to my new flip phone. I wanted something rugged so I ordered an unlocked Samsung Rugby 3. I really miss those old flip phones. I think this one's gonna be a nice change, will be able to really 'feel it' in my hand and in my pocket. :LOL:
As for data, I have plenty of other wi-fi devices so I'm fine there, so I don't need it in my phone.

Last edited:
Good for you RF. I've never had a smart phone and don't want or need one. My little flip phone with a pre paid plan is just fine with me. It's turned off when I carry it giving me all the power I want. It's amazing how powerful one can feel being undisturbed when out and about, the way we all used to be. Sometimes progress is a PITA.

We really enjoy our smart phones and use them often. No longer do we need a separate GPS device and manually updating maps. Easy to look up reviews on products while in store, and comparing prices before purchasing.

If my hotel wants to charge for wifi, I just use my phone as a wifi hotspot. the high quality camera on my phone has replaced point and shoot cameras and the video is so good, I see no need for a video camera. Everything is backed up to my online account without any action by me.

It's nice when we are traveling to look up restaurants and checking reviews. Sharing recipes on the spot by emailing them to people is a pretty cool feature.

Smart phones definitely aren't for everyone that's for sure and if you really don't use yours to it's full potential, it may very well not be worth the money.

Luckily I don't have a lot of people calling me, and if they text, I can respond when I feel like it. I'm definitely not one of those people with it in my face at all times.

We really enjoy our smart phones and use them often. No longer do we need a separate GPS device and manually updating maps. Easy to look up reviews on products while in store, and comparing prices before purchasing.
Bakechef, I am with you. Although I work in IT and normally embrace technology, I resisted buying a smartphone for many years. I just didn't get it. Then my wife got an iPhone and once I saw the different things she was able to do with it, I was hooked. I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 3, and will be upgrading again here soon. Just a short list of all the things I use it for:

• Email
  • Photos
  • Taking notes in meetings
  • Maps & GPS
  • Comparing prices
  • Music
  • Watching Hulu and Plex (sending to Chromecast)
  • Clock and wake up alarm
  • Recipes
  • Remote control (my phone has an IR blaster)
  • Grocery lists
  • Audio books
  • Checking flight information
  • Flashlight
  • Browsing the web
  • Keeping up with football scores
  • Calendar
  • Storing contact information
  • Buying movie tickets
  • Texting (although not that often)
  • Set up reminders (to take pills, for example)
  • Stopwatch and cooking timers

The list goes on. The few times I have forgotten it at home, I've felt totally disconnected and lost.

Last edited:
I dumped my landline about a year ago.

I carry an old Kyocera "burner" that originally cost about $15.00 and costs me about $100.00/year in minutes.

I use the alarm clock feature to wake me up for "The Father Brown Mystery" on PBS. :ermm::ohmy::LOL:
The only feature that I would like in a newer telephone is the camera.

Bakechef, I am with you. Although I work in IT and normally embrace technology, I resisted buying a smartphone for many years. I just didn't get it. Then my wife got an iPhone and once I saw the different things she was able to do with it, I was hooked. I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 3, and will be upgrading again here soon. Just a short list of all the things I use it for:

• Email
  • Photos
  • Taking notes in meetings
  • Maps & GPS
  • Comparing prices
  • Music
  • Watching Hulu and Plex (sending to Chromecast)
  • Clock and wake up alarm
  • Recipes
  • Remote control (my phone has an IR blaster)
  • Grocery lists
  • Audio books
  • Checking flight information
  • Flashlight
  • Browsing the web
  • Keeping up with football scores
  • Calendar
  • Storing contact information
  • Buying movie tickets
  • Texting (although not that often)
  • Set up reminders (to take pills, for example)
  • Stopwatch and cooking timers

The list goes on. The few times I have forgotten it at home, I've felt totally disconnected and lost.

Ditto on most of those. I cast to my roku often because it's easier to search Netflix, Hulu, plex etc. I also use it to stream stuff from my server while working out at the gym.

I love it as an alarm clock, mine has touchless control. While out of town for work, I could just lay in bed and say "OK Google Now, set alarm for 6:30am tomorrow" and it does it. Grocery lists and appointment calenders have become even more useful than I thought, put an entry in your smartphone and it's in the calender across all devices.

My mom always emails me her flight itinerary and it automatically keeps me updated about her flight status via Google Now, without me having to do anything, same for hotel reservations, along with maps and traffic info along the way.

I have one of those old Black Berry type pre paid phones;
I spend less that $60 per year... I text or call DH when necessary,
that's it!
I don't need to be doing anything else when I'm out and about.
When I did work, I did IT (back when it first started out, ack!) stuff and I really don't want to be
tied to that anymore.
I'm with you, I don't need no stinkin' smart phone
so ...

nah.jpg

Apple or Samsung, or any of those other ones out there! :LOL:

I'm the only odd one in the family. My wife and our daughters with their families are all under a single family account and they're all iphone users. In fact, my wife just got her new iPhone 6 a couple of weeks ago and she's loving it. Now, the rest of the family is thinking about "upgrading".:rolleyes: They're nice, but not for me. :)

Last edited:
I have a laptop, landline phone but no mobile phone...never felt a need for it. Guess it may depict a certain lifestyle and I am a semi recluse by choice!

I was one of the very last ones within my circle of family and friends to acquire my very first cell phone.
Even til this day, when my phone rings, chances are, it's a wrong number. I'm not a talker.

I hated the thought of a a smart phone until I got one. Now i cannot and will not leave home without it.
It works really good when there is a need to settle an argument.

Especially at the local watering hole where it seems someone always has some outlandish proclamation, that is easily debunked with my phone.
I love the "Our Groceries" app and a couple others that are very helpful.

I got my first cell phone when I started dating SO (1999). We still have flip phones. Most of our calls are to each other. SO has difficulty with her iPad. Texting and such would drive her crazy. I'd like a smart phone but can't justify the added cost right now.

Upon acquiring my first cell phone I immediately felt this sense of security as I used to often go out on mountain bike trips or just be out with friends, away from the house or whatever, or not being able to keep in touch with my business. I used to carry a pager (my last one being a wrist watch pager) but I never like those things.

The only reason I ever bought a cell phone was because Buck insisted it after I was nearly killed in a vehicle accident. He wanted the security of being able to communicate with each other when one or the other of us was not at home.

We had a land line so we purchased one TracFone to be used by whomever was going to be away from the house. Worked fine for us for years and we probably would still be following the same plan had he not died.

After his death, I still maintained the land line because it was the most economical avenue for running Internet and also had the cell phone with me when I went out. It was turned off when I was at home.

Now, Glenn and I do not have a land line. He didn't have one when we married, just a cell phone for himself. After we married he bought me a "real" cell phone (a flip phone) and that's what we currently have.

Barely any of the features of any of the Smart Phones are of any interest or use to us. Largely because we live quite simply, don't travel a great deal, which negates the need for GPS, don't wish to connect to the Internet via phone, text or "save" memos, photos, or conversations.

To us, viewing videos or movies via the phone screen is hilarious. If we desire to see these forms of entertainment, the big screen is our preferred choice. I would imagine viewing the burning of Atlanta from Gone with the Wind on a cell phone screen be nothing short of silly.:ohmy:

Even though both our phones are bare bones models, they do have cameras that take both still and video pictures, a timer, alarm, and other features we have yet to figure out.

We've set up our account with our service provider to only have call "receive" and call "send," along with call waiting. No texting or other messaging is included in our bill.

We're not anti-techonolgy, it's just simply that, at this time, none of what a Smart Phone does would be of any use or interest to us.

My phone has a 5" screen and it's really handy to have when you want to show people pictures, almost the size of a traditional print. Actually I haven't printed a photo in close to decade!

To us, viewing videos or movies via the phone screen is hilarious. If we desire to see these forms of entertainment, the big screen is our preferred choice. I would imagine viewing the burning of Atlanta from Gone with the Wind on a cell phone screen be nothing short of silly.:ohmy:
These are some of the things that people without Smartphones don't understand.

I don't have to watch movies on the small screen. I can pull up any movie I own on my phone (I have 400 in my personal library, including "Gone with the Wind") or from Netflix and, using Google Chromecast, send it to any television in the house, including the 65" in our media room. 1080p full HD with Surround Sound.

I can do the same with music. I can play music in one room, or I can play it in every room in the house (at least the ones that have speakers). It's great for dinner parties where you want some background music.

As far as viewing on the small screen goes, you might be surprised. I've watched movies on my cell phone on planes, and while the phone might only have a 5" screen, the clarity is still HD quality and absolutely stunning. And the sound coming through the headphones is as big as it is in any theater. I'll admit it isn't the perfect viewing venue, by any means, but is anything on a plane perfect?

Last edited:
Back in the old days (he croaked from his rocker with a blanket across his knees) we had a New England Telephone Company phone with a party line and no TV at all. A computer was something scientists talked about. The changes I have seen in my lifetime are mind-boggling.

I think smartphones are amazing technological breakthroughs. I am fascinated by all you can do with one. Apps that do so many different tasks are free or cheap. Practically anywhere you go, all the information in the world is at your fingertips.

When I tell you I don't have a smartphone, it's not an indictment. It's an acknowledgement that it's a toy that I can't justify buying.

Back in the old days (he croaked from his rocker with a blanket across his knees) we had a New England Telephone Company phone with a party line and no TV at all. A computer was something scientists talked about. The changes I have seen in my lifetime are mind-boggling.

I think smartphones are amazing technological breakthroughs. I am fascinated by all you can do with one. Apps that do so many different tasks are free or cheap. Practically anywhere you go, all the information in the world is at your fingertips.

When I tell you I don't have a smartphone, it's not an indictment. It's an acknowledgement that it's a toy that I can't justify buying.

I remember party lines. I remember mom asking Betty when she was finally going to get off the phone! :LOL:

I'm in the same camp.

For me it is about appropriate technology defined as sound solutions to real problems. I just don't have many of the problems that a smart phone is designed to solve. :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I can see one in my future as various apps become available to monitor old duffers, assist them with various reminders, wellness checks, etc... I think they could become a valuable tool that allows people to age in place until they just can't navigate and have to send that final text.

Back
Top Bottom