Doomsday Preppers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FluffyAngel

Senior Cook
I was just wondering, (at the risk of a verbal battle) if there are any doomsday preppers among us who are already preparing or "bugging out" and willing to share any information. I'm not currently participating in anything like this because I don't have the money but I've given it a lot of thought throughout the years starting with a dream I had roughly 20 years ago involving a commune of compounds prepped for just such an occasion. Even though I don't have the money to do it on a serious large scale, I believe that in hard times any amount of preparedness is beneficial. So, let the information flow. I will start off with the most basic question that fits this forum. Does anyone have any instructions on how to store a variety of different foods for potentially 20 years or better? I realize this is a cooking forum not doomsday prep but I believe I can incorporate small practices and "grow this lifestyle" over the years learning new tricks of the trade. If you have something you'd like to share but don't want to make it public feel free to PM me. I just went through a rough 3 months with very little work & was reminded of how quickly things can go wrong. I would like to at least be prepared for hard times with no job. That's a small start I think.

I believe that hoarding some cash is the best preparation for modern events such as losing your job or becoming ill and I am prepared for relatively minor events like storms or power outages but, I do not believe in preparing for a true doomsday scenario. I think that if that day comes then someone or something bigger or hungrier will come and take anything that I have so why bother! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Hmmm...good question~!

I'm am a prepper, but I go for those skills that cannot be taken away from me. Knowledge is a commodity that will always be needed. I am able to live off the land if need be, learning all you can about edibles in your area is a must. Knowing how to garden and having a store of seeds is also a must.

True preparedness, means you will have to move quick with what you can carry on your back. First Aid and more advanced skills are worth more than money. Take a phlebotomy class, if you can do a blood draw, you can start an IV.

Food preservation is another skillset you should consider. Just stockpiling will not get you through tough times, but knowing how to preserve what you can find/forage is a must. Salt is the one thing you need to stockpile, sugar is second.

Can you tell I've thought about this a lot???

Aunt Bea said:
I believe that hoarding some cash is the best preparation for modern events such as losing your job or becoming ill and I am prepared for relatively minor events like storms or power outages but, I do not believe in preparing for a true doomsday scenario. I think that if that day comes then someone or something bigger or hungrier will come and take anything that I have so why bother! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I've went back & forth with where you are & I see & agree with both sides. I'm still torn but feel I should do something as my subconscious seems to keep prodding me to at least be educated before I decide and see just what I could be capable of. I think in true end times, I just might rather die than watch my loved ones who don't make it suffer or die. I don't know that i believe in preparing for doomsday but i do believe that some other threatening hard times could be looming and some of those skills could be useful for our modern worries of no income. Prices keep going up, but If you already have, for example, a 20 year expiry date of a two or three year supply of beans & rice & corn, Then you can use that money for health costs, or other needs.

PrincessFiona60 said:
Hmmm...good question~!

I'm am a prepper, but I go for those skills that cannot be taken away from me. Knowledge is a commodity that will always be needed. I am able to live off the land if need be, learning all you can about edibles in your area is a must. Knowing how to garden and having a store of seeds is also a must.

True preparedness, means you will have to move quick with what you can carry on your back. First Aid and more advanced skills are worth more than money. Take a phlebotomy class, if you can do a blood draw, you can start an IV.

Food preservation is another skillset you should consider. Just stockpiling will not get you through tough times, but knowing how to preserve what you can find/forage is a must. Salt is the one thing you need to stockpile, sugar is second.

Can you tell I've thought about this a lot???

I'm glad someone has. For the slow folks like myself. Running out of time here (stuff on the stove is calling me- not doomsday stuff yet LOL)

Last edited:
I live within the blast zone of a major volcano...Yellowstone...I will either be obliterated or I will have to learn to survive.

PrincessFiona60 said:
I live within the blast zone of a major volcano...Yellowstone...I will either be obliterated or I will have to learn to survive.

Yellowstone ehh? I have a cousin that lives near there also. Her fiance is a park ranger I believe.

I have taken the I.V. class a couple of times here. I know I can, it's just that I haven't had a lot of practice so I wouldn't be one of those great Nurses that get a vein on the first attempt Every time. I know the mechanics & science of it, but I need some practice.

And for the sugar and salt. I agree those are two easy to obtain and decently cheap things within reach to store up. I use a five gallon bucket for my sugar now anyways. I wonder how long it would keep in those buckets? Any idea?

Several years ago I had to go to the basement with the dogs during straight line winds. Neighboring areas got hit hard with tornados. We were lucky, just lost a bunch of trees. Friends lost their houses.

I now keep a bunch of tap water in gallon jugs in the basement. It also serves as an overflow pantry for our yearly Costco forays.

I have a generator,travel travel,food for a month,water for a month,a handgun,chainsaw and a survival pack in the outside shed. I am mostly prepping for a major quake. If doomsday hits I won't mind going with it.

Back
Top Bottom