"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 12-13-2013, 10:20 AM   #1
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 3,134
Drivers License Renewal

I just renewed my drivers license online. For some reason, people over age 65 are given the option of renewing for 2 years instead of 4. Does anyone know why someone would choose this option? What is the benefit, and why only those over age 65? It's not cost, because although the actual payout is lower, it's $19 for 2 years and $29.50 for 4 years. I chose the 4 year option. I'm not going to get any better looking so I'm just being optimistic that I will still be here that long! LOL
__________________

CarolPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 10:26 AM   #2
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 38,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
I just renewed my drivers license online. For some reason, people over age 65 are given the option of renewing for 2 years instead of 4. Does anyone know why someone would choose this option? What is the benefit, and why only those over age 65? It's not cost, because although the actual payout is lower, it's $19 for 2 years and $29.50 for 4 years. I chose the 4 year option. I'm not going to get any better looking so I'm just being optimistic that I will still be here that long! LOL
Maybe some folks are considering not driving anymore after a certain age. A two year option may be just the thing for them.

You really don't want my take on driving over the age of 70...
__________________

__________________
“There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.” - Albert Einstein
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 10:26 AM   #3
Sous Chef
 
Rocket_J_Dawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Barrie, Ontario
Posts: 757
Wow... I think we are getting ripped. It costs $80 for five years up here.
Rocket_J_Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 10:56 AM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 46,562
I just did a 5-year renewal for $50.

We have an option to renew online. Then you have to go in for a renewal and take a new picture and eye test. After that, you can do another online renewal in 5 years as long as you are under 65 YO.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 11:22 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 23,247
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket_J_Dawg View Post
Wow... I think we are getting ripped. It costs $80 for five years up here.
In Quebec it's about $85/year. The license is valid for four years, but they send you a bill every year. The $85 includes insurance for bodily injury. If any Quebec resident is injured by a road vehicle anywhere in the world, that person is covered by this insurance. It means a pedestrian or cyclist injured in a hit and run collision doesn't need to find the driver to be covered.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 03:19 PM   #6
Cook
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: nyc
Posts: 53
i assume it has to do with eyesight
Breathing Couch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 04:55 PM   #7
Master Chef
 
bethzaring's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Northern New Mexico
Posts: 5,207
I got a New Mexico drivers license in April 8 2013 and it expires November 30 2020.

What's up with that? That's over 7 years and 7 months.
__________________
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead
bethzaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 05:18 PM   #8
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Boracay, Philippines
Posts: 131
I always laugh when I renew here in Philippines.
Everyone is drug tested.
Good for 3 years.
BoracayB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 07:51 PM   #9
Sous Chef
 
Rocket_J_Dawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Barrie, Ontario
Posts: 757
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoracayB View Post
I always laugh when I renew here in Philippines.
Everyone is drug tested.
Good for 3 years.
Hair follicle tested?
Rocket_J_Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 08:06 PM   #10
Master Chef
 
Mad Cook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: North West England
Posts: 5,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
I just renewed my drivers license online. For some reason, people over age 65 are given the option of renewing for 2 years instead of 4. Does anyone know why someone would choose this option? What is the benefit, and why only those over age 65? It's not cost, because although the actual payout is lower, it's $19 for 2 years and $29.50 for 4 years. I chose the 4 year option. I'm not going to get any better looking so I'm just being optimistic that I will still be here that long! LOL
It may well have something to do with the state of health the old person is in. We have to renew our driving licence at 70 and disclose certain medical conditions if we have them.
Mad Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 08:18 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Kayelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: south central coast/California
Posts: 14,469
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Maybe some folks are considering not driving anymore after a certain age. A two year option may be just the thing for them.

You really don't want my take on driving over the age of 70...
I'll ask your take when your 70.

___________________________

I have to take the written test before my 70th birthday in a few days, although the last time I took it was the day I turned 16 years old. It seems strange they don't want me to take a driving test instead, but I'd be confident in taking the driving test also. I wonder if the driving test still includes parallel parking? A few days ago I parallel parked my big old Cadillac in a spot meant for a new Cadillac. Steve was impressed when we got out of the car and there were about 4" left between the front and back bumpers. I love to laugh at that car commercial with the automatic parallel parking.
Everyone I know says that I'm a very good driver, and I think so too.
__________________
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 08:22 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 22,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Maybe some folks are considering not driving anymore after a certain age. A two year option may be just the thing for them.

You really don't want my take on driving over the age of 70...

The same as mine!
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 08:43 PM   #13
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 46,562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
...A few days ago I parallel parked my big old Cadillac in a spot meant for a new Cadillac. Steve was impressed when we got out of the car and there were about 4" left between the front and back bumpers. I love to laugh at that car commercial with the automatic parallel parking.
Everyone I know says that I'm a very good driver, and I think so too.
Kudos to you! I'd bet only a small percentage of drivers can parallel park.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 08:45 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 25,014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post

I'll ask your take when your 70.

___________________________

I have to take the written test before my 70th birthday in a few days, although the last time I took it was the day I turned 16 years old. It seems strange they don't want me to take a driving test instead, but I'd be confident in taking the driving test also. I wonder if the driving test still includes parallel parking? A few days ago I parallel parked my big old Cadillac in a spot meant for a new Cadillac. Steve was impressed when we got out of the car and there were about 4" left between the front and back bumpers. I love to laugh at that car commercial with the automatic parallel parking.
Everyone I know says that I'm a very good driver, and I think so too.
Kayelle, I still swear you added 20 years to your real age (50). No way you're 70.

Anyway, there are old 70 yo's and young 70 yo's, Kayelle is definitely a young 70!

When I renewed my license it was good for 5 years, cost me $20.
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 08:57 PM   #15
Master Chef
 
bethzaring's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Northern New Mexico
Posts: 5,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by bethzaring View Post
I got a New Mexico drivers license in April 8 2013 and it expires November 30 2020.

What's up with that? That's over 7 years and 7 months.
I think I figured it out.

It's a mental test.

To see if you can remember to renew your license after 7 years
__________________
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead
bethzaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 08:59 PM   #16
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 46,562
Quote:
Originally Posted by bethzaring View Post
I think I figured it out.

It's a mental test.

To see if you can remember to renew your license after 7 years
The MA RMV stopped sending out renewal reminders for drivers licenses some years ago. Five years ago, SO And I both forgot to renew until mid-December.

This year we remembered and renewed on time. Two weeks later we got reminders from the RMV to renew our licenses.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 09:08 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 22,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
The MA RMV stopped sending out renewal reminders for drivers licenses some years ago. Five years ago, SO And I both forgot to renew until mid-December.

This year we remembered and renewed on time. Two weeks later we got reminders from the RMV to renew our licenses.
According to my daughter, they will be reinstalling a lot of services that have been cut. It is cheaper to have those self serving services, than to have the personnel to handle it all. But they are cracking down on elderly drivers. They have to go in person to get a license renewal after a certain age. It is about time.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 10:11 PM   #18
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 3,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breathing Couch View Post
i assume it has to do with eyesight

We don't have to take an eye test. In 7-10 days I will receive a photo card. I will take that to the license center. They will take my picture and issue a new drivers license. No test. If I ever have to retest I'm in big trouble.
CarolPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 10:30 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 25,014
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post

We don't have to take an eye test. In 7-10 days I will receive a photo card. I will take that to the license center. They will take my picture and issue a new drivers license. No test. If I ever have to retest I'm in big trouble.
Please let me know when you're on I 80.
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 10:48 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 23,247
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
We don't have to take an eye test. In 7-10 days I will receive a photo card. I will take that to the license center. They will take my picture and issue a new drivers license. No test. If I ever have to retest I'm in big trouble.
Then why don't you make an appointment with an optometrist and get a new prescription and glasses?
__________________

__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
×