DS is leaving today

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thank you all for helping me through this!!
Goodweed, I know what your saying and I keep telling myself that it will get better. He will be surrounded by good people. This family is a close knit kind, like my family and I know that they will help him grow into the man I know he can be.

Texas I don't have any children but it must be very hard on you that your son is leaving.

I will think good things and say a prayer for you and him. He will be okay and try not too worry

shpj4 said:
Texas I don't have any children but it must be very hard on you that your son is leaving.

I will think good things and say a prayer for you and him. He will be okay and try not too worry

Thank you:)

Last edited:
texasgirl said:
No, it's not that I didn't want him going into Tennessee, it's because he would have had 3 transfers and 4 very long layovers that route. This one doesn't have any layovers and only has the 2 transfers. We went through Tennessee years ago. It takes forever to get through it.:LOL: But it's pretty.
It doesn't take as long as Texas. :-p I can get from Knoxville to the Mississippi River in about 6ish hours. I can remember going to summer camp in Midland while growing up in Houston. It took us *10* hours to get there in a school bus, and we were *still* in Texas. :LOL:

I hope he brought a book and some sleeping pills, because I-10/I-20 through the Deep South is *boooooooooooorrrrrrrriiiiinnnnnnnnnggggggggggg...* :-p

I moved back to Houston from Knoxville via Greyhound in 1987. What should have been an 18 hour, tops, trip, took *28* hours, and that was catching the Express with no stops from Dallas to Houston.

Your so right TG, it's tough to let go, let them become grown ups, but ultimately as you said, he will become the man you raised him to be.

Prayers are going his way Txgirl. We never stop worrying about them even if they're grown and gone. Trust that he will be fine and think positive. Hugs,

the hardest thing for me when son John went to San Diego for Boot Camp (Navy) was when a large box was delivered containing all his belongings...I sat on the floor and cried. My Kevin who was 2 years old at the time sat down and all he could say between tears was "Nonnies gone" over and over.

My mother didn't even wave goodbye when I went to Australia, but I saw my eldest son off to Europe and the US in the cold grey light of dawn when he was 19 years old. He was alone and backpacking, and was away for months, and that is why I learned to use a computer. Then it was Asia, then somewhere else. Then he stopped, went to Uni and is now a chartered accountant. So what happens? He is being seconded to Canada for four months, and is planning to go down to the States for another two months. I dunno.

You will miss your son very much TG, it goes with the territory. I think loving our kids is an ecstatic burden. A terrifying joy. A triumphant desperation. But when he comes home again, (and he will) cuddles you close and kisses the top of your head, asking 'how is my little mummy', you will really know what a good job you have done. You wll know Pride TG, real Pride.

TG, I know you and he have had a rough year. I hope this brings him the peace he needs to have a happier life--which means you will too.:) {{hugs}}

Let me chip in my best wishes to you and your guy... I hope things will work out for the best for you guys, you deserve it. (((Hugs))))

Thank you all, SO much!!!
He made it just fine. He was a little late getting there and had my stomach in knots and shaking, but, I'm okay now!! I will miss him dearly, but, I know it's for a good reason that he went.
And VB, no, I didn't sleep very much last night and went to work so sick to my stomach that I thought I was going to barf a few times. Once I got busy with work, I did better until it was time for him to call. I didn't get to talk long, the cell phone kept cutting out. I'm just happy he made it okay. That was my biggest worry.
Thank you all again for your thoughts and prayers. It helps so much to be able to talk to all of you!!

All's well with TG............
img_342428_0_4995e51ed8081ef27e2e9dd80af71d24.gif

yup, and make him feel guilty if he skips a week. my 'rents still require a call weekly, even after 20 years after i'd moved out. start this practice right away, and never stray from the course.

if i go past 2 weeks, my mom and dad act physically ill, and blame it on worrying about me. the last thing i want is to hear that if i've missed a call.

no, my parents aren't jewish ny'ers, but they might as well be. :)

I haven't been on in a while TG - I am glad to hear everything went well. I agree, keep active on the phone. I call my mom everyday and I have been out of the house for a looooong time!

When the chicks leave the nest it is hard, but it is also the time when they come to appreciate you the most--when they understand best what you have done to provide for them in their childhood, even if they didn't see it at the time.

Hang in there, TexasGirl, and use the phone at least once a week. And in a few months, or maybe a year or two, you will have a conversation with DS that begins something like, "Gee, Mom, thank you for being such a good parent."

(This speech was delivered to me in a tiny whisper--but I did hear it!)

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom